Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trying to pull the Transmission out!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trying to pull the Transmission out!

I'm trying to install a slave cylinder and for the life of me I cannot get the tranny to come apart at the top.I know about the 8 bolts and the electrical hook ups. I have everything I know of un hooked or off. It's like something on the very top is still attached? I have watched 2 video's over and over, and 1 video talks about having something being attached at the top causing a little problem.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

are you sure you removed the two top bolts? i used a 3 foot extention (Three 12" ones stuck together) to get the two tops ones.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

As dumb as this may sound, yes and I used long extensions also, but I only have 7 bolts on the ground. One was misplaced, but I can see and count the 8 holes.For a long time I kept looking for another top bolt thinking one had to still be in. I can move the tranny pretty good to see a dowel. But as soon as I let go, it pops right back together. The top doesn't come apart like the bottom half, that's why I felt there was a bolt, but I can't find it.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are two studs that connect the tranny and bellhousing and if they haven't been separated in a while they can be a PITA to separate. I was jerking the entire motor/tranny from underneath trying to get them to separate. I ended up using a small prybar in the slots on the side to get them apart. I was exhausted from trying to pull the tranny off. The prying would have saved me a lot of effort if I had done that in the beginning.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eagle-co94
There are two studs that connect the tranny and bellhousing and if they haven't been separated in a while they can be a PITA to separate. I was jerking the entire motor/tranny from underneath trying to get them to separate. I ended up using a small prybar in the slots on the side to get them apart. I was exhausted from trying to pull the tranny off. The prying would have saved me a lot of effort if I had done that in the beginning.
I started to pry a little but didn't want to screw anything up so I stopped. Yup I noticed the motor moving a little when I just used my force so I stopped. Yes this is original tranny and it hasn't been out. I guess I will have to go back to the prybar. I just thought it was odd how it would pop back together.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're not going to screw anything up. Keep prying little by little from opposite sides until it separates.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wohoo glad i found this haha this should save me some trouble in a couple weeks.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01_SuperSlow
You're not going to screw anything up. Keep prying little by little from opposite sides until it separates.
Ok, Thanks! I will give it a try.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be careful with the input shaft as your pulling the trans out....because of space limitations its easy to scratch it on the pressure plate fingers. you will understand if you have to replace it...

mine was also stubborn...be patient and work it GENTLY. if you get rough with it, get ready to open your wallet...speaking from experience.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brigade24
Be careful with the input shaft as your pulling the trans out....because of space limitations its easy to scratch it on the pressure plate fingers. you will understand if you have to replace it...

mine was also stubborn...be patient and work it GENTLY. if you get rough with it, get ready to open your wallet...speaking from experience.
Thanks, I didn't know. I'm going to try tonight.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Been busy at work so only thing I have done is went to Harbor freight and bought a trannsmission jack and realized that I only had 7 bolts out!! Hoping to get the last top one out tomorrow after work or Saturday.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, it's a lot easier to get out when all 8 bolts are removed
Old 10-11-2013, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01_SuperSlow
Yea, it's a lot easier to get out when all 8 bolts are removed
lol I KNOW! I told my wife next time I get her to count holes, she is not aloud to just count any hole! She's suppose to help me tonight find that last bolt on the passenger side, this should be fun.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
Been busy at work so only thing I have done is went to Harbor freight and bought a trannsmission jack and realized that I only had 7 bolts out!! Hoping to get the last top one out tomorrow after work or Saturday.
Doh! Glad you figured out what was going on.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Doh! Glad you figured out what was going on.
Your video was great,but you made it look way too easy! My luck isn't that easy! I'm outside under a carport, and it's raining.I ran a long ext from the back of the tranny and it went right to the bolt! Tranny is down and out! Now it's time to take a break and figure out if my clutch is worn or is it time for a new one.I'll put the slave on tomorrow.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
Your video was great,but you made it look way too easy!.
Wait until you have to put the tranny back on.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Wait until you have to put the tranny back on.
I'm just hoping that my clutch is fine!
Your video said nothing hard about re-installing problems!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just hate lifting that freaking tranny off my back with the bottom of the car an inch from my face, just awkward as heck.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I saw your video 4-5 times,and I'm 6'5" 325 lbs and I went out and spent $84 on my tranny jack! I was not going to take a chance on dropping it, plus I had 2 jacks and it just didn't feel right. The tranny jack made it soooo easy.So since I had to pull my Y off at the cats, cause the tranny just wouldn't pass by it, I'm just going to shine up my stainless Y pipe and headers tomorrow. I'll have to get my buddy to come by next week and tell me about my clutch.

Quick Reply: Trying to pull the Transmission out!