Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Newbie, carb questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Newbie, carb questions

Hi all. im a newbie to the carbed lsx lifestyle. i currently have a 383 lsx with AI heads and cam, around 13.5CR, and gonna spray a 300 shot with a direct port on a super victor carb setup. Ive been reading the new thread but would like some info on which carb i should run. i hear the holley 750 is good, but what about a demon? also deleting my knock sensors is the idea? I am also going to be on E85, do i need a specific carb for that? Whats a good fuel pressure for the fuel side? also is there a regulator that i can use to maintain for both the fuel for motor and fuel for nitrous side? im going to run a stand alone fuel system on it. i have a 98 pcm, and hp tuners, is there any adjustments i need to make for before the initial start up? sorry for all the questions, i am a super newbie to the lsx carb. thanx for all the help in advance.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty safe to say you are going to need bigger than a 750 carb. There have been a couple of members running Quick Fuel E85 carbs. You might look into that. Contact quick fuel and see what they recommend. Also see if you can dig up any of the old E85 threads.

Get the MSD ignition box, it has everything you need including the stand alone harness. No knock sensor, just cam, crank and map sensor. Nothing to do with the old PCM or FI wiring, just get rid of it.

That is a lot of nitrous. You will probably get some pretty good suggestions on here for a fuel system but you are definitely going to want to do some more reading to make sure you are safe.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:38 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Knock sensors are whatever. Delete them or leave them.

I have no experience with ethanol, but a 950 carb should be best for your setup. Your going to be using more fuel but the carb will still feed it. Quick fuel should have what you need.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:39 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Yup, treed me.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Pretty safe to say you are going to need bigger than a 750 carb. There have been a couple of members running Quick Fuel E85 carbs. You might look into that. Contact quick fuel and see what they recommend. Also see if you can dig up any of the old E85 threads.

Get the MSD ignition box, it has everything you need including the stand alone harness. No knock sensor, just cam, crank and map sensor. Nothing to do with the old PCM or FI wiring, just get rid of it.

That is a lot of nitrous. You will probably get some pretty good suggestions on here for a fuel system but you are definitely going to want to do some more reading to make sure you are safe.

I will look into the threads and contact Quick Fuel as well.

The MSD 6LS is the one i need correct? that will replace my ECU? Ill post up my wiring setup when i get off work. Im not running a factory wiring setup. Im curious as to how that will have to be "tied" into my current wiring.

As for the nitrous, im going to start off on 250 fogger more than likely. than later ill spray 2 stages, 150 shots off a plate and a fogger. The rotating assembly is a forged lunati setup with total seal rings, (non gapless). it should hold up what i want to throw at it, but its all hope lol.

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Knock sensors are whatever. Delete them or leave them.

I have no experience with ethanol, but a 950 carb should be best for your setup. Your going to be using more fuel but the carb will still feed it. Quick fuel should have what you need.
Ok since the knock sensors are not needed i will just delete them. I was looking at the valley covers people make, looks good. Ill just go ahead and make myself one.

Cool, yea ill call up QF and see what they have for me.

I appreciate the help guys. also, do you use a tps on this setup? and as for the MAP, i just plumb a hole for it in the intake and use the stock sensor?
Old 01-21-2014, 11:56 PM
10 Second Club

well as promised heres a picture of my wiring. maybe going carbed is gonna be more of a hassle than I thought. I was told you delete your obd/computer when you go carbd. if so how do you tune with hp tuners with no dlc connector?

Old 01-22-2014, 05:22 AM
TECH Junkie

HP tuners? You shitcan that and get yourself one of these

Yes, the MSD box replaces your computer and entire engine harness. You can download some free software from MSD to set custom timing curves. To dial in your carb best to invest in a wideband O2 sensor. You will also need an assortment of jets and replacement gaskets, some standard wrenches and yes, a screwdriver or two. You might need to buy a nozzle or two once you get tuning and the quick fuel carbs have replaceable bleeds and such. Your best friend will be the internet for tuning info.

Be prepared to get some gas on your hands. Carbs are definitely more hands on than EFI
Old 01-22-2014, 06:14 AM
Launching!

The tool above serves two functions especially with a Holley. One end makes fine tuning adjustments to A/F The other end you use to clear trouble codes by grasping the shank and then using the handle to clear the carb of its errors via several sharp blows to the float bowls.

All in all it's a wireless, plug and play solid state interface to the tuning data you have in your head!
Old 01-22-2014, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

lol thats funny ****. well damn, i guess ill have alot of parts to sell...im not so new to carbs, i have a blow thru carb on my 81 camaro, but im new to lsx being carbd. im sure its still different to some degree so i do need to learn more. i have a wide band so i can moniter than, now im just curious on how you guys get your car registered. In phoenix, i have to pass emissions to get it registered. its easy with obd but now what...lol. thanx for the input once again guys.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Going carbed on an LS is pretty much turning the engine into old school setup. The MSD box would be your distributers equivalent , although its capable of doing a lot more than an old school distributer ever could. You basically need to forget everything you ever learned about HP tuners. Instead, find an old mechanic that has been hidden in an old junk yard out in the boonies that still knows what a carb is. He will hold the light force you seek. You should bring an offering ( beer ) so he will know you are worthy of the knowledge he possesses . He will most likely speak in a lost dialect from a time long ago ( I recommend watching Nascar to learn the language ). May the force be with you, my brother.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can run just as much hp out of a carb setup as a efi setup. And way easier to swap
Old 01-22-2014, 03:07 PM
In-Zane Moderator

More HP actually
Old 02-01-2014, 12:34 PM
10 Second Club

well i got my super victor. now on to a carb. anyone have a e85 carb laying around collecting dust?
Old 02-02-2014, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by krochus
The tool above serves two functions especially with a Holley. One end makes fine tuning adjustments to A/F The other end you use to clear trouble codes by grasping the shank and then using the handle to clear the carb of its errors via several sharp blows to the float bowls.

All in all it's a wireless, plug and play solid state interface to the tuning data you have in your head!
I lol'd at this ****. But for serious tech now, I did a carb swap on my 4th gen and just left the factory computer in to run all my gauges and other miscellaneous stuff but your setup will look cleaner then mine also lol. If I was you I would look towards a quick fuel or a holley hp ultra. That way you have as much tuneability as possible for your part throttle driving. My new motor I'm building is gonna have a quick fuel on it.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by silverls1z28ofdeath
I lol'd at this ****. But for serious tech now, I did a carb swap on my 4th gen and just left the factory computer in to run all my gauges and other miscellaneous stuff but your setup will look cleaner then mine also lol. If I was you I would look towards a quick fuel or a holley hp ultra. That way you have as much tuneability as possible for your part throttle driving. My new motor I'm building is gonna have a quick fuel on it.
thanx man. ya i actually pulled out the pcm and took out the engine harness. im just gonna tie my gauges and accesories in without the pcm/bcm. From what i was told, the 98 gauges are analog so i can just wire them directly. im making a wiring diagram right now of how its going to be. still have alot more to go on it. do you have a build thread of your carb setup? id love to take a peek and get some ideas . I called up quickfuel and they recommended the Q series 850 carb. Im going E85 so im getting the e85 carb, only downside is its green, wont match my engine bay at all. lol. oh well.

heres a picture attached of my "diagram" so far. still need lots to go.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie, carb questions-my-wiring..jpg  
Old 02-04-2014, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

if you buy a plain old Holley you can drill out the press in air bleeds and other restrictions and replace them with brass set screws you drill yourself. That way you get the tunability of a quick fuel or Holley ultra but can buy the bleeds for a fraction of what the screw in ones cost for the high buck carb.

Getting a purpose built E85 carb is the way I would go though.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

sweet! well im going to end up just buying the Q-series 850cfm Drag e85 carb. I called quickfuel and that's what they recommended for me.

heres some pics of my knock sensor delete valley cover I made.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Good looking engine and great choice on the carb. Oh, and welcome to the dark side.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Good looking engine and great choice on the carb. Oh, and welcome to the dark side.
Thanx a bunch man! well now im ready to buy my carb, and I found this beautiful carb that matches my car a lot better than...well...green. its the Holley ultra hp 850. in black. looks killer. now I just need some recommendations on which one is better suited for me? and input anyone?

Quickfuel 850 E85
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qf...-e85/overview/

Holley 850 E85
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hl...44hb/overview/
Old 02-12-2014, 01:01 PM
10 Second Club

well im going to end up getting the holley one.just got my income tax so time to order some parts. im wondering what pump and regulator to run tho. and how much PSI? im looking at these. any thoughts?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hl...44hb/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-150/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-840/overview/

Quick Reply: Newbie, carb questions