Sponsored by:

Radiator sizing?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator sizing?!?

Hello everyone,

I have a E30 BMW LS1 and currently it has a Ron Davis 26x16x3 dual pass radiator in it. the car is not finished, but I managed to get some mounts that will push the engine back a bit more, allowing me more clearance upwards, because I chose the 16" tall radiator to have clearance for the intake tube.
Now I could run a 19" tall radiator, but do I need it? From everything I have read the Ron Davis radiator is pretty awesome already. if I can avoid selling my current radiator and buying another one I would save a few $100. The car will be raced on the track and I am stationed in Arkansas, so it gets pretty warm.
I see others have used similar sized radiators with no problems, but road racing induces a whole new set of problems.

Thanks in advance

Phil
Old 02-10-2014, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting question.
I'm sure there is some math that helps determine such things but since I don't have access to it and I'm sure it's too late to return the current product or you wouldn't have made this post. Having said that and being a bit old school, I would just try it and see.

In my mind It's dual pass which in theory should be better than a single pass radiator of similar size. It's also a 3" core which is thicker than any factory piece I'm aware of.

Of course I'm sure there is a radiator or cooling geek out there who knows the how and why and could substantiate it with math but since you already own it... I would stay with what you have until you prove it won't work for you. Cheaper than trying to sell it and buy another.

I would make sure you have a good fan or fans on it.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 914/LS1 conversion, I run an AFCO 80133N 27 1/2 x 16 x 3 dual pass ASA racing radiator. Haven't got it out on the track yet, but being designed to cool an ASA stock car I would think it's adequate (for SoCal weather). That said, much depends on how the flow of air is managed. If you're going to roadrace the BMW, an oil cooler is a must, which will also aid in managing engine temperature.

Andy1
Old 02-10-2014, 06:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just make sure you duct it so the air is forced through the radiator and not allowed to go over or under it.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My Mav has a Jeg's (Chinese) 26 x 16 dual-pass single core aluminum radiator and a 25 year old single puller fan off a Buick GN, the car never runs over 170° even with the A/C on and a 110° heat index.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:26 PM
Teching In

All these comments have me sitting more at ease, I will spend my time ducting it properly and throwing some BA fans behind it. I will report back with how it does once I return from Afghanistan and finish it.

Phil
Old 02-11-2014, 05:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Snoxxy
All these comments have me sitting more at ease, I will spend my time ducting it properly and throwing some BA fans behind it. I will report back with how it does once I return from Afghanistan and finish it.

Phil
Hey, good luck and thanks for going. Looking forward to the first burn out video once you get back.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Thanks pop n wood.

I am not going, I'm coming back. Actually enroute as I type this.
Thanks again everyone

Phil
Old 02-11-2014, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Snoxxy
Thanks pop n wood.

I am not going, I'm coming back. Actually enroute as I type this.
Thanks again everyone

Phil
Hey Phil,

Stay safe, and thanks for your service!

Quick Reply: Radiator sizing?!?