Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fox body LSx weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fox body LSx weight reduction

has anyone ever removed the carpet and sound deadner and added bedliner to the floor? i want to reduce some weight.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:19 PM
9 Second Club

How light is it right now? There are a lot of other things you can do first to remove weight before removing the carpet.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:23 PM
9 Second Club

To give you an idea my 93 coupe with an iron lq4 and 4l80e with a turbo and 4 inch thick intercooler and AC weighs in at 3160 with me in it and a half tank of gas (so 3,000lbs since I'm 160) This is a full interior car (minus back seat but has the back seat delete kit, even though the rear seats probably weigh what the seat delete panels weigh) Surprised me the first time I weighed it as I thought it would have been a lot more. Still has the front and rear bumpers and if I wanted to try and lose weight it seems I could easily get this under 3,000lbs with me in it still pretty easily without taking out carpet and what not.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

I did that a long time ago and regret it ever since. The bedliner didnt help sound much, but does make it impossible to cut or weld if you ever need to mod it in the future... my. 02.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:29 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JetMech442
I did that a long time ago and regret it ever since. The bedliner didnt help sound much, but does make it impossible to cut or weld if you ever need to mod it in the future... my. 02.
True I'd never want to do that. When I replaced my carpet I added 2 full 25ft rolls of that AC insulation stuff as a sound deadener under my carpet and the carpet even had sound deadener with it I hate hearing loud noises and creaks.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Geoff17 3K is a good weight!
I will be in the process of putting together an LS1/T56 coupe and want it to be in the 2600lb range with no driver.
I have heard removing the sound deadener and then just spraying on the rust protection paint is all that is needed.
Now it's going to get loud though.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 23_hellfox_23
Geoff17 3K is a good weight!
I will be in the process of putting together an LS1/T56 coupe and want it to be in the 2600lb range with no driver.
I have heard removing the sound deadener and then just spraying on the rust protection paint is all that is needed.
Now it's going to get loud though.
2600lbs will be easy with a coupe if you just want a light weight race car. I kept mine much more streetable and tried to keep it quiet so I still have a full exhaust and a big muffler along with a full interior and ac. An Ls1/t56 setup with be even lighter than an iron lq4/4l80e by quite a bit so 2600lbs shouldn't be hard at all to achieve.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by geoff17
How light is it right now? There are a lot of other things you can do first to remove weight before removing the carpet.
I haven't weighed it yet. I'll probably go this weekend after I get my built 4l60e back. I've only removed the front sway bar and spare tire. everything else from factory is still there. I have a iron block 5.3 N/A with a 4l60e
Old 03-05-2014, 03:46 PM
9 Second Club

Shouldn't be too heavy. Forgot to mention I also have no front sway bar or spare tire since I changed over to 5 lug the 4 lug spare was no good. If everything else is factory it will probably be a little heavier than me just due to you still have a stock k member and stock a arms.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by geoff17
Shouldn't be too heavy. Forgot to mention I also have no front sway bar or spare tire since I changed over to 5 lug the 4 lug spare was no good. If everything else is factory it will probably be a little heavier than me just due to you still have a stock k member and stock a arms.
I forgot to mention that. i have the AJE k member, stock a arms, removed spare tire. trying to multi-task..lol
Old 03-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

Getting rid of the boat anchor they call front suspension and replacing it all with tubular will help out a lot.
I've heard guys freeing up over 100lbs by just doing that.
You can free up a ton of weight without ever having to touch the sound deadening and carpet.
Suspension, wheels, brakes, cutting all unnecessary tabs and extra metal off.
If you don't mind it, remove P/S, A/C, radio and speakers.
Running a dumped exhaust (right before axle) will free up a lot also without the extra piping.
My build will be daily/track car but I have no issue driving a beer can around for a daily.
I had an old civic hatch I gutted completely and got it just under 2000lbs was awesome.
(hypermileage car for ***** and giggles)
Old 03-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Launching!

the rear bumper impact bar weighs a lot....
i kept the back seats and added head insulation under the carpet. full interior, full tubular suspension, ls1/t56 combo, heater, no a/c, 5 lug... everything else oem in tact, weighed in at 3160 w/o me in it.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Rear seat delete kit will help
Old 03-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Start with a light car. My zephyr in factory trim weighed 2512 pounds. I hope i can keep it under 3000 with the swap but it will prob end up around 3200.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The carpet itself is very light.

Bed liner is a very bad idea as mentioned above.

The mat sound deadener stuck to the bottom of the carpet, and the asphalt sound deadener stuck to the floorpans, will cut anywhere between 20 and 50 lbs depending on how damp the mat is.

The rear seat delete kits are often as heavy as the rear seat which it replaces.

There is a large steel structure behind the dash which you could remove, it is mostly unnecessary.

If your car has air bags, and you don't plan to use them, you can remove the whole system.

Pull as much unnecessary copper wiring as possible.

There are braces in the doors which can be removed if you are not worried about side impacts or if it has a roll cage.

Replace all unnecessary metal brackets with cable ties.

Remove the dog bone vibration damper from the rear axle.

Convert to front coil overs and aftermarket front a-arms.

In the mid 1990's I had a 1990 LX hatchback which I cut down to about 3040 lbs with me in it. It had a stock 5.0 with stock iron heads, stock suspension, full interior with power windows, 10 hole wheels and no front skinnies. It started at about 3300 lbs with me in it.

My 1989 coupe (circa 2001/2002) was built to run NMRA Drag Radial and had a cage certified by NHRA to 7.99 or 7.49, I can't remember which (point: the cage was heavy). That car weighed in at about 2650 lbs with me in it. It was a pure race car though.

You have fox Mustang, it will never really be "quiet", but that is the reason it is light. The car can be made to be very light, hence it's popularity. If you want quiet and refined, the fox chassis isn't a good starting point.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by usdmholden
The carpet itself is very light.

Bed liner is a very bad idea as mentioned above.

The mat sound deadener stuck to the bottom of the carpet, and the asphalt sound deadener stuck to the floorpans, will cut anywhere between 20 and 50 lbs depending on how damp the mat is.

The rear seat delete kits are often as heavy as the rear seat which it replaces.

There is a large steel structure behind the dash which you could remove, it is mostly unnecessary.

If your car has air bags, and you don't plan to use them, you can remove the whole system.

Pull as much unnecessary copper wiring as possible.

There are braces in the doors which can be removed if you are not worried about side impacts or if it has a roll cage.

Replace all unnecessary metal brackets with cable ties.

Remove the dog bone vibration damper from the rear axle.

Convert to front coil overs and aftermarket front a-arms.

In the mid 1990's I had a 1990 LX hatchback which I cut down to about 3040 lbs with me in it. It had a stock 5.0 with stock iron heads, stock suspension, full interior with power windows, 10 hole wheels and no front skinnies. It started at about 3300 lbs with me in it.

My 1989 coupe (circa 2001/2002) was built to run NMRA Drag Radial and had a cage certified by NHRA to 7.99 or 7.49, I can't remember which (point: the cage was heavy). That car weighed in at about 2650 lbs with me in it. It was a pure race car though.

You have fox Mustang, it will never really be "quiet", but that is the reason it is light. The car can be made to be very light, hence it's popularity. If you want quiet and refined, the fox chassis isn't a good starting point.
I can handle the noise and rattling if it comes down to that. I'll look into all your suggestions. Thanks everyone.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

I just picked up a 92 coupe.

My goal weight for the car is 2650lbs w/o me and run a vintage air system in car w/ a iron 402/th400 and most interior pieces. I'm gunna do glass doors, possibly glass front cap etc. I'm going to the lightest stuff I can. Planning the team z lightweight 9", minitubs, 28x10.5w slicks, w/ holley dominator EFI and a davis traction control box. Eventually I'm gunna go to an aluminum motor w/ a power glide but I already have this engine tranny combo.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:27 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 5.0 LsX
the rear bumper impact bar weighs a lot....
i kept the back seats and added head insulation under the carpet. full interior, full tubular suspension, ls1/t56 combo, heater, no a/c, 5 lug... everything else oem in tact, weighed in at 3160 w/o me in it.
hatch I'm assuming? Sounds kinda heavy for ls1/t56 and no ac and with full tubular suspension.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Team Z sells carbon fiber doors, trunk, good, front fascia also.
Now that stuff is crazy pricey but worth it I would think.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

mine is 2440 with out me,, that's with no carpet but does have factory seats and door panels,, only fiberglass is hood,,, 6.0 motor with glide..

Quick Reply: fox body LSx weight reduction