Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

anybody changed ALL the interior lighting color?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default anybody changed ALL the interior lighting color?

ok so ive been debating on changin all the color ob the interior lighting in my v1. cluster backlights, window switches, hvac controls etc. has anybody else done this? anybody have any pics? ive looked and havent run across any on the forums so far but i mightve missed it. before anybody says anything about the leds being soldered in, its not a problem... post up what youve got please. also, anybody have suggestions on a new backlighting color? the white and orange just isnt cuttin it for me
Old 04-23-2014, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only done the easy basics with LED's (some red in the footwell/door, some white for map/dome lights).

I do recall a thread a couple years ago back on CF where somebody replaced the orange background AC stuff with blue. I remember it being quite a bit of work but doable and it looked much better.

I'm not going back to that site to do a search though...

Very interested to see what you come up with.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

yea the footwell lighting is easy. its just bulbs lol. i was just wondering if anybody else had taken the time on the hard stuff. ill try to check on cf
Old 04-23-2014, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

boredom got the best of me. i wanted to this in red because nobody else i know uses red and theres no blue on the car buuuuut, i just hapened to have like 50-60 blue leds already so i got started. pic is a phone pic but u get the idea. i already like em better. im gonna do the hvac panel either tonight or tommorow. what do u guys think
Old 04-23-2014, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Old 04-23-2014, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks pretty awesome dude. Red would look awesome too. It would be kick *** if you could switch between red and blue on the fly. Like in "The Hunt For Red October"... When the first mate tells the chief " rig for red"... So awesome. I would say that every time I came across a mustang lol.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

Lots of careful de-soldering, I am sure? Looks awesome man. I would love something like bright green or purple or blue... or pink. Fkk yeah, pink.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

I'd prefer I nice bright blue and white setup. Any chance you can post some more how-to specific pictures.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

i have to locate the correct leds for the hvac control module. i can post some disassembly pics later but its basically cut to bulbs out of the switches and solder in led/resister. its pretty tedious being so small. id be willing to do it if somebody wanted to ship me their parts but like i said, i still have to locate the correct type of led for the hvac
Old 04-23-2014, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

the group of litte square leds in the white box are all just for the lcd screen. each button on the panel has its own led too lol. ill be busy for a while
Old 04-24-2014, 01:40 AM
12 Second Club

Looking good. I really like it.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bad ***.
Please keep up on the updates as I'd like to do this over next winter
Old 04-24-2014, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

i think i found the correct leds for the hvac panel ordered some to try. itll be a week or two before they get here so that kinda blows but ill keep it updated as i go. ill take some better disassembly pics when i pull the hvac panel back oht and apart too
Old 04-24-2014, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Ogre, if you've been poking around your window switches with a multimeter, maybe you could tell me whether there is a pin or wire in there that goes 12v+ live, only when the switches are enabled.

That is, I'm looking for a circuit to tap into, where I could add a new relay that is triggered by the RAP circuit (retained accessory power). I'd like to use that with an aftermarket stereo head unit. Items like the factory radio, the windows and the sunroof, are all on the RAP circuit, so they will stay active once the ignition is switched off, and remain active until a door is opened or 10 minutes elapse.

But it turns out to be tricky to find a 12v+ signal that goes live only when RAP or ignition is switched on. I've looked a few places, but not the window switches yet. The RAP circuit for the factory head unit appears to be triggered only by a Class II data signal, so there's no easy 12v+ trigger wire to use for an additional relay. I then checked the rear-passenger-side fuse box, and on 2004 cars there is probably a RAP relay there for the sunroof motor, but on 2005+ cars the factory moved that relay into the sunroof motor itself, so tapping that one would require pulling the headliner. Uggh. Nothing in that fuse box in my 2005 car goes 12v+ live only during RAP/ignition on.

So, do you know if those window switches get a 12v+ signal only when they are live (ie. either RAP or ignition on)?

Or is the window switches' power only triggered by a Class II data signal, like the factory head unit?

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2014, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

limited- pm sent.

ogre- what size led's are they? are they plcc-3528 type packages for everything or does it vary?
Old 04-24-2014, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by limited_imagination
Ogre, if you've been poking around your window switches with a multimeter, maybe you could tell me whether there is a pin or wire in there that goes 12v+ live, only when the switches are enabled.

That is, I'm looking for a circuit to tap into, where I could add a new relay that is triggered by the RAP circuit (retained accessory power). I'd like to use that with an aftermarket stereo head unit. Items like the factory radio, the windows and the sunroof, are all on the RAP circuit, so they will stay active once the ignition is switched off, and remain active until a door is opened or 10 minutes elapse.

But it turns out to be tricky to find a 12v+ signal that goes live only when RAP or ignition is switched on. I've looked a few places, but not the window switches yet. The RAP circuit for the factory head unit appears to be triggered only by a Class II data signal, so there's no easy 12v+ trigger wire to use for an additional relay. I then checked the rear-passenger-side fuse box, and on 2004 cars there is probably a RAP relay there for the sunroof motor, but on 2005+ cars the factory moved that relay into the sunroof motor itself, so tapping that one would require pulling the headliner. Uggh. Nothing in that fuse box in my 2005 car goes 12v+ live only during RAP/ignition on.

So, do you know if those window switches get a 12v+ signal only when they are live (ie. either RAP or ignition on)?

Or is the window switches' power only triggered by a Class II data signal, like the factory head unit?

Thanks!
im familiar with the RAP function. im a certified gm tech. can u be a little more specific with what u want to do and i can probably figure oht the best location for u to tap into a circuit. also u dont have to use a +voltage to trigger a relay on. u can supply it with a 12v fused circuit and use a ground to trigger it. thats the way the ecm does it. u can pm me if u like
Old 04-24-2014, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jamesdem1123
limited- pm sent.

ogre- what size led's are they? are they plcc-3528 type packages for everything or does it vary?
they vary. 3 window switches are actually soldered in bulbs. driver is twist out bulbs. hvac is plcc-2 leds
Old 04-25-2014, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

ah. Well if anyone wants to do their hvac/gauges I just ordered 500 blue leds from china that will be here in a few weeks. lol
Old 04-25-2014, 06:35 AM
On The Tree

I ordered 200 lol
Old 05-21-2014, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

Quick Reply: anybody changed ALL the interior lighting color?