Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best wideband for HP Tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 09:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best wideband for HP Tuners?

What is the best wideband to measure AFR that integrates with HP Tuners? Our rear O2 sensors have been disabled (no cats) so I'd like to pull them, plug one, and use the other for a wideband to measure air fuel both on NA and nitrous passes. Not really interested in something with a gauge just a kit that will allow me to scan AF into HP Tuners. Which one has the best ease of installation but more importantly will be accurate and allow us to tune?

Thanks.

Scott
Old 05-23-2014, 09:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You're going to get all kinds of opinions on what's the best wideband and a lot them based on no facts. As far as hooking up to HPT they will all hook up about the same. If you buy one of the more popular ones its already loaded into HPT and you can select it vs making a custom PID to log it.
With any wideband and nitrous tuning I recommend reading your plugs and just using the a/f on your wideband as a reference.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
You're going to get all kinds of opinions on what's the best wideband and a lot them based on no facts. As far as hooking up to HPT they will all hook up about the same. If you buy one of the more popular ones its already loaded into HPT and you can select it vs making a custom PID to log it.
With any wideband and nitrous tuning I recommend reading your plugs and just using the a/f on your wideband as a reference.
Agreed. I run the AEM uego , due to its easy install. Monitor wideband + Read plugs = K.I.S.S method. If you need help reading plugs post the pictures up here and plently of guru's will help you out.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by igtabg1
Agreed. I run the AEM uego , due to its easy install. Monitor wideband + Read plugs = K.I.S.S method. If you need help reading plugs post the pictures up here and plently of guru's will help you out.
Thanks. I just realized we have the standard version of HP Tuners and not the pro so we can't utilize a wideband while scanning? Just have to settle for watching the gauge?

The plugs looked good on the dyno; we had the timing mark just on the bend of the strap on the plug. I realize though that real-world racing is different and we'll have to watch it there too.

Scott
Old 05-23-2014, 01:37 PM
FormerVendor

You can log the wideband through egr or another input with your standard hpt.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plugs are the number one tuning tool for nitrous. As far as widebands go, it doesn't make too much of a difference between the different brands. We are here to help, if you have anymore questions.

-Garrett
Old 05-23-2014, 03:16 PM
Teching In

can I install a wide band 02 in place of my stock one and will my computer work with it ,I have a 02 z28
Old 05-23-2014, 03:18 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JAYSS10
can I install a wide band 02 in place of my stock one and will my computer work with it ,I have a 02 z28
You can but its not just a plug n play swap. I prefer just to get an extra bung welded in and run it separately.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:16 AM
Teching In

that's what I thought I was told I could
You can but its not just a plug n play swap. I prefer just to get an extra bung welded in and run it separately.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
Plugs are the number one tuning tool for nitrous. As far as widebands go, it doesn't make too much of a difference between the different brands. We are here to help, if you have anymore questions.

-Garrett
Plugs show AFR? I'm new to nitrous and trying to take our time, learn, and make horsepower safely. I thought the timing mark showed if you had enough timing pulled. How do you read plugs for AFR? We had the AF correct on the dyno; doesn't that ensure it will be right at the track?

Thanks!

Scott
Old 05-26-2014, 06:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Tar Heel
Plugs show AFR? I'm new to nitrous and trying to take our time, learn, and make horsepower safely. I thought the timing mark showed if you had enough timing pulled. How do you read plugs for AFR? We had the AF correct on the dyno; doesn't that ensure it will be right at the track?

Thanks!

Scott

You'll need to cut the threads off the plug in order to see the fuel ring. Its at the base of the porcelain basically making a circle all the way around. It can look anywhere from almost white (really lean) to looks like a black marker (really rich) Reading your plug's will be more accurate than using a wideband for sure. Also depending on what kind of dyno you were on, load bearing for inertia only your a/f and timing could be a good bit off real world.

Here is a old article on plug reading

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...-pictures.html

Last edited by LSX Power Tuning; 05-26-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

You'll need to cut the threads off the plug in order to see the fuel ring. Its at the base of the porcelain basically making a circle all the way around. It can look anywhere from almost white (really lean) to looks like a black marker (really rich) Reading your plug's will be more accurate than using a wideband for sure. Also depending on what kind of dyno you were on, load bearing for inertia only your a/f and timing could be a good bit off real world.

Here is a old article on plug reading

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...-pictures.html
Thanks! That is a good read. I appreciate the help as we continue to learn more about nitrous.

Scott

Quick Reply: best wideband for HP Tuners?