Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about header install

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about header install

I see a lot of threads about headers. Instead of looking at every single one and trying to determine what kind to get, I figured I would ask. My car is stock and will remain that way. It only has 42k on it, so any big mods won't be happening. I will probably do a tune after the headers are installed, that is about as far as I will go with HP mods. So, what would be my best bang for the buck for headers. They will need the EGR inlet and air adaptors. I have seen so many different kinds and places, it's hard to pick one.

thanks in advance.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

best bang for the buck, first ones that come to mind are texas speed or pacesetter...power output will be close, if not the same as the higher quality brands...however, fit, finish and craftsmanship suffers with these cheaper brands...if you have the cash, and you're looking to do it right the first time with an easy install, I recommend ARH longtubes and catted Y-pipe...they literally slide right in without removing anything but the old components...also, looks like your car is a 2002, so you don't have EGR, just AIR fittings and cats are needed to stay emission legal...

and I give it 1 week after your headers go in, until you're looking for more
Old 05-29-2014, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If your car will remain stock then you can't do headers. I have TSP (texas-speed) headers and like them.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by manzo81maro
...however, fit, finish and craftsmanship suffers with these cheaper brands...
Can you please give me examples as to our fit, finish, and craftsmanship suffering? If there is ever a problem with our headers we always do our best to fix or replace it.

Lonnie
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 05-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
If your car will remain stock then you can't do headers. I have TSP (texas-speed) headers and like them.
And why can't I do headers if the car remains stock? By stock, maybe I should have put no internal motor changes. Only a couple bolt on items.

I meant O2 sensor not EGR, my fault. I see some headers say 10-15 HP, then some say 25 HP. I am sure this is due to the headers tube size..
Old 05-29-2014, 02:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sales3@Texas-Speed
Can you please give me examples as to our fit, finish, and craftsmanship suffering? If there is ever a problem with our headers we always do our best to fix or replace it.

Lonnie
No personal experience with them, but I've read a few install threads on these and in a lot of cases, installaion involved lifting/moving engine, removing components not exhaust related, and modifying k-member for clearance....this is a result of their "fit, finish and craftsmanship"...maybe "suffering" is an exageration but with the more expensive, higher quality brands, you don't have to worry about this

to the OP, if you don't mind doing this, then by all means save yourself a few bucks and go with a "less expensive" brand

but just like anything else, you get what you pay for...I would buy another set of ARH in a heartbeat
Old 05-29-2014, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have nothing but great things to say about the stainless Texas Speed and Performance (TSP) 1-7/8" headers I installed to replace the rusted coated-Hookers that were on the car when I bought it.

After seeing how bad the coated headers looked with only 25K miles on the car, I would never buy a set that isn't stainless. Had my TSP on for a while now and they still look great.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

I bought speed engineering headers and they went in without a hitch. They're hard to beat for the price.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Careful with Texas Speed purchases. I bought a catted y-pipe from them to go with my Hooker long tube headers. I called their "customer service" asking for a diagram on how exactly I need to set up the y-pipe assembly. They basically laughed at me and said they have been shipping their y-pipes for years without a diagram and no one ever has issues installing them. Then he went on to tell me that there is fitment issues with hooker headers. Then why does it say on their website that their y-pipe is designed to fit their headers, pacesetters, and hookers? They refused a return since the y-pipe is "used", and said even if they did take a return they would charge me a "restocking" fee. I never even started the car when I called, I was just work on getting everything assembled at the time.

All-in-all the y-pipe is on but I lost quite a bit of ground clearance. The hooker stainless headers fit good. If I had to do it all over again I would use the hooker headers, but go to a reputable exhaust shop to have a custom y-pipe fabbed up to tuck better. I doubt I will ever deal with TSP again.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sales3@Texas-Speed

Lonnie
Well you asked..... Not so much the headers but the true dual system which I'm guessing is made by the same vendor TSP uses to build the headers. I spoke to you on the phone a few weeks ago Lonnie and emailed back and forth a few times regarding the true dual system I ordered.

Regarding the fit, finish, and craftsmanship.... they sure weren't perfect. The ends of the slip pipes were bent and oval shaped which required a good bit of work to make round and true again, to the point where they would slide together.

My biggest issue was the x-pipe was not fully welded. It looked as if someone ran out of wire on the mig welder and decided it was good enough with about a 1" section not welded. The biggest pain was finding someone who could weld stainless.

In the end, it was more work and trouble than I would have liked but it turned out well and I like the setup. Also, I just wanted to add I had no issues with the TSP headers. Mine are 1 7/8.

Here is a pic of the x pipe that was not completely welded.

Last edited by Bramlok; 05-29-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Now this is the kind of info I like. But I feel like a dumb *** since I forgot to mention that I have a Corsa cat back system on the car right now. With that being said (late, I know sorry) which way should I go.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:35 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 7SEALS
Careful with Texas Speed purchases. I bought a catted y-pipe from them to go with my Hooker long tube headers. I called their "customer service" asking for a diagram on how exactly I need to set up the y-pipe assembly. They basically laughed at me and said they have been shipping their y-pipes for years without a diagram and no one ever has issues installing them. Then he went on to tell me that there is fitment issues with hooker headers. Then why does it say on their website that their y-pipe is designed to fit their headers, pacesetters, and hookers? They refused a return since the y-pipe is "used", and said even if they did take a return they would charge me a "restocking" fee. I never even started the car when I called, I was just work on getting everything assembled at the time.

All-in-all the y-pipe is on but I lost quite a bit of ground clearance. The hooker stainless headers fit good. If I had to do it all over again I would use the hooker headers, but go to a reputable exhaust shop to have a custom y-pipe fabbed up to tuck better. I doubt I will ever deal with TSP again.
PM sent as to not take away from the post.

Originally Posted by Bramlok
Well you asked..... Not so much the headers but the true dual system which I'm guessing is made by the same vendor TSP uses to build the headers. I spoke to you on the phone a few weeks ago Lonnie and emailed back and forth a few times regarding the true dual system I ordered.

Regarding the fit, finish, and craftsmanship.... they sure weren't perfect. The ends of the slip pipes were bent and oval shaped which required a good bit of work to make round and true again, to the point where they would slide together.

My biggest issue was the x-pipe was not fully welded. It looked as if someone ran out of wire on the mig welder and decided it was good enough with about a 1" section not welded. The biggest pain was finding someone who could weld stainless.

In the end, it was more work and trouble than I would have liked but it turned out well and I like the setup. Also, I just wanted to add I had no issues with the TSP headers. Mine are 1 7/8.

Here is a pic of the x pipe that was not completely welded.

I do remember talking to you. The ends being bent had to be a shipping issue but there was no excuse for the x-pipe not being fully welded. I did offer to pay for either fixing what you have or replacing the full set up. You chose the payment. I do apologize for the inconvenience. I wished it hadn't arrived to you in that condition.

Just an FYI, we have taken back "big name brand" headers due to fitment issues/ weld issues as well. Every company has had a bad product leave one time or another. Like them we will do our best to correct that.

Lastly we have our true duals made from a different vendor than our headers here in the US and they are welded up in a jig.

Lonnie
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900

Last edited by Sales3@Texas-Speed; 05-29-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by bjohn
I can second them having the absolutely worst customer service I've ever encountered in my life.

Glad it wasn't just me to be put through that BS.
I dealt with you personally and we credited you back a full refund for the mess up on the header bolts. I don't see how that is the worst customer service possible

Lonnie
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 05-29-2014, 06:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Headers are a great first mod for the car. Personally I would rip the air and egr system out and just go offroad style with the headers and ALWAYS do a 1-7/8" primary. It looks much cleaner and removes a little more weight and the larger dia will always make more power. For a y-pipe I'd generally go with the brand that the headers are.

Cats are you're choice I like it without them. I run ARH headers and love them Nick at ARH is a greta guy and always answered any questions I had not to mention even offered to tweak the headers to accommodate some things I wanted. In the end the price of KOOKS or ARH headers will be 250ish more than other cheaper brands in stainless but you support an American works and steel business rather than a chinese competitor. That to me is worth the money, not to mention there is no denying the quality is better.

With that said most headers given the same size will make the same power. However in my personal experience ARH, KOOKS and for people on a budget BBK's have gone in without any trouble. Installing TSP's and a couple other brands I have seen motor mounts taken out, oil plug/filter adapter removed and a lot of cursing to get them in. I can also attest that I have called tsp a couple times for some questions and while one experience went well the other times I felt like the person on the other end wasnt very helpful and didnt seem to care.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bjohn
I can second them having the absolutely worst customer service I've ever encountered in my life.

Glad it wasn't just me to be put through that BS.
I don't agree with that. They have always been helpful and polite in trying to find a resolution to an issue or problem. Having gone through some issues with their parts, would I purchase parts from them again? Yes I would without hesitation.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:02 PM
Launching!

I went with the speed engineering "race" headers. They are nice and have been on for a few weeks. Only issue with them is that the driver side pointed up a little bit and made my y pipe fitment tougher.

As far as tsp. I bought their ory and also got my header gaskets, plugs, wires, and o2 extensions. Shipping was fast and the y pipe was great quality.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

I went with pacesetters Lt headers and tsp ory. Ordered both from Texas speed with no complaints about either product, or packaging. All I have experience with is pacesetter Lt headers as far as installing and had no problems, pretty good bang for the buck so that's my vote O.P

Quick Reply: Thinking about header install