General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

master cylinder or slave cylinder issue..ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default master cylinder or slave cylinder issue..ADVICE

Ok..I am having an issue with my 99 camaro m6 not going into any gear....short story replaced old stock clutch with new spec stage ii about 2 yrs ago..car has run great since that time...few days ago under normal driving conditions I was at a red light ...green light comes on start driving 1st and second gear no problem then ...bam! trans is stuck in 3rd gear!! Drive car home in 3rd and cant figure out why? I use a breaker bar to go into neutral and its been sitting there with no clutch working...my belief is that the slave cylinder had a blowout or master cylinder is shot....what do you think? Dont want to start tearing apart the transmission before getting more info on the problem...thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

I forgot to mention that I already tried bleeding the clutch..no luck there.. also checked ATF level seemed good there. My logic says the slave cylinder is not doing its job but could be something else to fail all of a sudden like it did.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Pull the line going from the clutch master to the bellhousing. Unhook it where it goes into the bellhousing.If your clutch pedal is rock hard than you have a bad slave cylinder. If your pedal is soft it's the clutch master cylinder.Do this test before you do anything.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice... I went out yesterday and bled the clutch again..I was able to go into first and third but nothing else. I will try what you recommend and post up later what I find out...
Old 08-14-2014, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you mentioned atf, if you're using atf fluid instead of brake fluid in the clutch hydraulics then that will be part of your problem.

with the engine off on flat ground like in your garage you should be able to roll the car slowly a couple inches and shift the trans any which way no problem. if you can't then your problem is in the trans and nothing to do with the clutch system.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you mentioned atf, if you're using atf fluid instead of brake fluid in the clutch hydraulics then that will be part of your problem.

with the engine off on flat ground like in your garage you should be able to roll the car slowly a couple inches and shift the trans any which way no problem. if you can't then your problem is in the trans and nothing to do with the clutch system.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe he meant ATF in the T56, NOT in the clutch hydraulics (at least that's what I understood his reference was).

Some on other forums believe that ATF, yes even the great synthetic ones like M1 and Red Line D4, are NOT the optimal fluid for our gearboxes, DESPITE what Tremec says, and what is on the case sticker.

I personally use either; Red Line, or Amsoil MTL/MTF G4 fluids, or Pennzoil/GM Synchromesh (I had a HORRIBLE experience with the synchros/blocker rings grinding BADLY with Royal Puple's SynchroMax fluid).

Last edited by dailydriver; 08-15-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys for all your input I checked the slave and master cylinder per transwiz advice both seem to be doing their job...I moved the car around the drive way and the transmission will still only go into 3rd nothing else...just freaks me out that I can drive it in 3rd and goes into nuetral ....looks like its going to need a trans rebuild...I was grasping at straws that it was something else...

Quick Reply: master cylinder or slave cylinder issue..ADVICE