General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

4Th Gen Power Windows acting funny...normal problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4Th Gen Power Windows acting funny...normal problem?

I just bought a cheap 4th gen to use as a track car until my actual track car is done, anyways it's a 99 Camaro Z28, and the drivers power window worked once, the passenger window from drivers control panel works 100% randomly, pass window from pass control panel works fine every time.

I replaced the switch, and fuses, and nothing changed. Just curious if 4th gens have any cliche issue that causes this before I invest too much time trying to track it down, I know a lot of platforms have quirky issues that are normal, or components that wear out and always cause the same issue on a lot of cars.

Just curious before I go look into it.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Bump for people bored on the computer early Saturday..
Old 09-03-2014, 05:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im no expert, but there is a relay for them i think. ive seen "passenger window fix kits" on WS6Store website beforethat is probly what u need. maybe someone knowing more will che in, so bump
Old 09-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Teching In

the OEM power window motors themselves die. I replaced both in my 96, both in someone elses 95 (i think) and one in my 2002 with 18k miles. I know thats a common issue.

To check the motor, you'd need to take off the interior door panel, and check voltage at the plug. If you get your 12V, then your switches and relays are probably good, and you need a new motor.

don't know that that is the problem you are describing, but maybe on the driver side? hard to say! good luck!
Old 09-04-2014, 02:26 AM
12 Second Club

sorry my otger reply i said relay, i meant regulatot. also may get more answers kn stereo/electronics area
Old 09-04-2014, 09:04 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll move this to the general maintenance section, but yes, it's common for the motors to go out. Very cheap and simple to replace
Old 09-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
I replaced the switch
Which switch?

Your problem sounds like it could be a bad passenger window switch (on the driver's side) and a bad driver's side motor - or bigger problems with both switches on the drivers side.

It could be a ton of other things ^ but those would be the most common.

A dead motor is the most common culprit for your driver's side issue, but since you don't know the history of the car, I'd recommend getting a wiring schematic for the windows and testing everything out from the driver side panel in order to make a more definite diagnosis.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

Passenger side window works fine, from passenger control panel on pass door, and the passenger window works intermittent from the drivers panel, the drivers window doesn't work when I've tried.

This indicates there is clearly a breakdown in the circuit between the drivers door switch and stuff, I just didn't know where all these came together, I'm not a wiring exp4rt and don't want to pretend to be one.

Didn't know if people had similar issues. I would have just replaced the motor but the intermittent pass window control from drivers switch panel had me wondering.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Save the manuals!

The wiring schematics are copywritten, so I can't share them but you may be able to find them "around."

In a nutshell, the passenger window motor is wired directly to the passenger side switch. That switch is then directly wired through the switch on the driver's side. The driver's window motor is wired directly to the express down module and that device is wired back to the other switch on the driver's side.

Your symptoms will be tough to equate directly to other peoples' experiences because it looks like you most likely have two separate problems. One for the driver's side and the other for the passenger's side.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:06 AM
TECH Resident

I'm just going to put a MoTeC PDM in it and call it a day.

#wiringcostsmorethanthecar #yolo

I was just hoping like 20 people would call me dumb, tell me to search while telling me it was a common issue and to replace a component. Sounds like I have to remember how to work on cars if I want my window to roll down. The struggle. Appreciate those of you who chimed in! It's not what I wanted to hear because I'm lazy but it's data to make a decision off of!
Old 09-09-2014, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

The motors usually will "die" so you could just replace them if you want and have a fast new motor, but what happens a lot of time is the shitty resistor meant to stop the window when pressure is applied (to stop you from cutting your arm off) gets very weak and the weight of the window will stop it from going down/up all the way, usually up. You can take the motor out and bridge the resistor if you don't want to buy a new motor, this should work but don't expect it to be a speed demon. OR you could buy a newer faster window motor.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks MildPhil, I will go ahead and replace that resistor. That's the type of issue and information I was looking for to prevent future issues.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:15 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
That's the type of issue and information I was looking for to prevent future issues.
I don't recommend bypassing the resistor because it can add stress to the door and lead to things like this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...rd-2001-a.html

The above issue introduces stress through bolts that replaced rivets in the door, but this is a situation most want to avoid and is a much harder issue to deal with vs. a motor replacement.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
I don't recommend bypassing the resistor because it can add stress to the door and lead to things like this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...rd-2001-a.html

The above issue introduces stress through bolts that replaced rivets in the door, but this is a situation most want to avoid and is a much harder issue to deal with vs. a motor replacement.
I wow I never knew this, crazy. I guess the only option is for OP to replace them then. Ill replace mine as well.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

Yikes!

Thanks for the post. I'll just start throwing parts at it this weekend or one night after work.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:03 AM
Save the manuals!

Be careful when you do. If you haven't read the regulator removal procedure, you should watch out for two things:

- With the regulator removed, the glass will drop. Best to have another person help when you take it out. GM calls for wedging the glass stationary in the door, but that's not so easy to do.

- When the regulator is out of the car, the only thing that holds its (very powerful) spring in place is the motor. If you remove the motor, you'll need to put a bolt through the holes in the regulator to keep the spring from exploding. (This type of thing can easily chop off a finger, etc.) As well, who knows what the PO did to the car, so I'd also recommend checking to make sure the motor is secure to the regulator before taking it out of the door.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
Be careful when you do. If you haven't read the regulator removal procedure, you should watch out for two things:

- With the regulator removed, the glass will drop. Best to have another person help when you take it out. GM calls for wedging the glass stationary in the door, but that's not so easy to do.

- When the regulator is out of the car, the only thing that holds its (very powerful) spring in place is the motor. If you remove the motor, you'll need to put a bolt through the holes in the regulator to keep the spring from exploding. (This type of thing can easily chop off a finger, etc.) As well, who knows what the PO did to the car, so I'd also recommend checking to make sure the motor is secure to the regulator before taking it out of the door.
Is there a good walk through on how to do this correctly?
Old 09-13-2014, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

There is NO resistor in the motor............... there is a circuit breaker limiter in the motor. What happens is the BIMETAL circuit breaker heater design starts to break down and no longer closes. Then the circuit is open and the motor won't run. REPLACE the motor. Jumping out the circuit breaker is asking for more trouble.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mildphil

The 2 links in there are the best I've seen.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...tructions.html
Old 09-14-2014, 10:02 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Mildphil
The GM Factory Service Manual has a good proceedure but no illustrations. When you get the regulator out, you can see the problem. You'll just need to plug the unit in to move the reg so the holes in the arms align ao you can lock them together.

Or... you can wait until your plate is in and use the shbox method for the motor replacement. The weight of the glass keeps the regulator spring tame

Quick Reply: 4Th Gen Power Windows acting funny...normal problem?