Sponsored by:

first stab @ ls1 head porting pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default first stab @ ls1 head porting pics inside

i ported the heads on a few cobras i dont even own a ls1 but my my friend
all have pretty quik camaros i just wanted to see what you guys thougt of the quality of work i have done dont have any flow numbers onlys i am a full time student blew the motor on my cobra waiting for my built motor to be finished so i have alot of spare time on my hands i would love to gwet some feed back from other head porters on what else needs to be done

thanks dave
Attached Thumbnails first stab @ ls1 head porting pics inside-ls15.jpg   first stab @ ls1 head porting pics inside-ls14.jpg   first stab @ ls1 head porting pics inside-ls1-2.jpg   first stab @ ls1 head porting pics inside-ls1-3.jpg   first stab @ ls1 head porting pics inside-ls16.jpg  

Old 05-24-2004, 04:46 PM
Teching In

do you have any combustion chamber photos?
Old 05-24-2004, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

no i dont i will soon i didnt remove and material i polished them though i use a standard abrasives cross buff (hard) and it made the mirror like i didnt want to remove any material cause i didnt want to lose any compression...

if there are any shops out there that are looking for a aprentice let me know i need work i wanna try to learn the correct way to port cylinder heads or are there any schools other than the school of hard knocks lol...

thanks dave
Old 05-24-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good to me! so what kind of bits did you use to get that mirror finish?
can you post a pick of the bits you used!!!!!
im polishing my heads also and cant seem to get such a nice finish.....
thanks.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The finish looks good but you spent alot of time in the wrong area's from what I see.The floor of the port is where the most work needs to be done.(mostly short turn area).
Just an opinion.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

from what i have learned taking material off the bottom is not always good since air is lazy and since air is being vacuumed in it stays at the top of the port so opening up the bottom would create more volume and slow port velocity my effort is not to make a all out race head but a street head with low end as well good mid and top end power so hogging out the port is not what i am looking to do and the short turn radius has been worked i have not taken any pics of it yet but i am open to suggestions i aprieciate your input...

thanks dave
Old 05-25-2004, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

i go to www.ruffstuff.com i use aluma burrs (carbide cutter) for heavy material removal and i use ruby stones to smooth it out followed by some catridge rolls and a medium cross buff followed by a fine...
hope this helps

thanks dave

p.s dont be fooled by the finish it hardly does anything for flow it does help on the intake on the exhaust it does help keep sone of the carbon from sticking for a few thousand miles
Old 05-25-2004, 02:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xRaTeD
from what i have learned taking material off the bottom is not always good since air is lazy and since air is being vacuumed in it stays at the top of the port so opening up the bottom would create more volume and slow port velocity my effort is not to make a all out race head but a street head with low end as well good mid and top end power so hogging out the port is not what i am looking to do and the short turn radius has been worked i have not taken any pics of it yet but i am open to suggestions i aprieciate your input...

thanks dave
The ports look great! I did the same, bought a used set of ls1 heads off e-bay, ported them and polished, sent them off to a shop for the valve job. I did a lot of research before I started porting though. On those heads your right about the floor, stay off! Open the top up and remove the rocker arm studs that hang down in the intake ports and blend the seats in. After all said and done, it took me over 20hrs

Quick Reply: first stab @ ls1 head porting pics inside