Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive with bent rods OK?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Drive with bent rods OK?

Anyone drive for a while with ticking sound/bent rods and had no problems? Horror stories?

Over seas right now, but missed a shift in the SS. Ticking sound but car runs OK. When I get back I'm going to need to immediatly drive everyday, then figure out heads/cam or what. It's that or a rental!

Compression test needed I know...when I get time.
Thanks,
Ram
Old 05-24-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No u can drive on them... I drove mine to the dealer and ripped on it the whole way trying to put one through the block to get a new engine... NEVER DID but i still got a new motor... Knew some friends are the dealership... Just drive nice... and if u throw a SES light... be very weary of driving it. Ill say get it fixed ASAP... the install is about 2 hours if u never did it before. Open her up right after work... check them out... replace and bam your good to go... But its up to u...

Hope i helped.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

if youre car isnt under warranty i wouldnt recommend driving it hard as mooley did for obvious reasons. but like he also mentioned, driving it easy shouldnt hurt anything.

Originally Posted by mooleyz28
No u can drive on them... I drove mine to the dealer and ripped on it the whole way trying to put one through the block to get a new engine... NEVER DID but i still got a new motor... Knew some friends are the dealership... Just drive nice... and if u throw a SES light... be very weary of driving it. Ill say get it fixed ASAP... the install is about 2 hours if u never did it before. Open her up right after work... check them out... replace and bam your good to go... But its up to u...

Hope i helped.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

I bent mine awhile back at the track. Got on it going home and it went fine.. Hehehe..

Though when I took them out.. They were shaped like an "L" I am sure that they would have soon broke something. Get them replaced ASAP.. That sound is annoying anyways!!!
Old 05-25-2004, 10:53 AM
12 Second Club

So if I've got an annoying ticking coming from what sounds like the headers (not the exhuast leak ticking, but something you can hear against buildings and walls that I drive past.), we're probably talking bent pushrods? Are there better or harder pushrods I could use when I finally do my Cam swap?
Old 05-25-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya when u do your cam swap get a kit... the kit will come with either hardened or chrome-moly pushrods, comp valve springs, and a cam swap gasket. Thunder Racing has a nice package for 700. Just do that... U wont regret it. Goodluck man.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CamTom12
So if I've got an annoying ticking coming from what sounds like the headers (not the exhuast leak ticking, but something you can hear against buildings and walls that I drive past.), we're probably talking bent pushrods? Are there better or harder pushrods I could use when I finally do my Cam swap?
dunno if harder pushrods are better, if they don't bend something else like a valve will. One attribute of the pushrod engine. Valves and pistions hitting on a interfearance OHC motor.....oooo it is nasty. profilable for the mechanic though
Old 05-25-2004, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mooleyz28
Ya when u do your cam swap get a kit... the kit will come with either hardened or chrome-moly pushrods, comp valve springs, and a cam swap gasket. Thunder Racing has a nice package for 700. Just do that... U wont regret it. Goodluck man.
Thanks!

Unfortunatley due to some circumstances, this summer's cam project is being pushed off into the future some time... I'll definately keep that in mind for when I do the cam, though. I've been talking to Al Futral and I think he's got a similar package.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Thanks!
I'm still looking at making this an excuse for heads or h/c! I just need to find a great shop in St. Louis to do the install quickly.
RAM