Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Gasket?

I am planning on replacing my oil pump very soon. I am having a problem of oil leaking from some where- it was from the timing chain cover, but now it's somewhere else. I plan on replacing the oil pan gasket for piece of mind. Is this possible to do with the block still in the car? Or does the crankshaft hang too low?

TIA- Tim
Old 06-01-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

oooh...not much room down there. I dropped my pan about an inch...and though I wasn't looking to see if the crank was hanging down, it seemed like the mains were still pretty far in the pan...
Old 06-01-2004, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

If you drop the K-member you can change it, but otherwise no.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it can be done w/ the motor in the car but its a real pain in the ***. got to remove the trans. then jack the motor up as high as you can get it then slide the pan out. Then you have to drill out the 2 tabs that hold the gasket to the pan to get it off.

JR
Old 06-01-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pulled my oil pan in the car without pulling the transmission, but i was on this nice drive on lift with the jacks built in. I tried jacking the engine up off the mounts first but couldn't get enough clearance so i had to drop the k-member anyway. Just:
1. unbolt the motor mounts using the long bolt that goes through
2. support the engine somehow, either by tying it to a strut tower brace or with a cherry picker
3. unbolt the 6 k-member bolts and lift the car off the k-member
4. If the bellhousing is still in the way when you try and pull the pan out, either pull the k-member forward with some of those ratcheting tow straps or undo the power steering lines and drop the k-member more. Oh yeah and unbolt the shocks from the top if the k-member is hanging from them.

While you're down there it is a good time to elongate the hole in the oil pump pickup tube mounting bracket if you have a double roller timing chain so it doesn't put stress on the o-ring. Also don't forget to rtv the back of the oil pan gasket like you do on the front with the timing cover.

Last edited by P Mack; 06-01-2004 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:41 PM
10 Second Club

You should'nt have to replace the oil pan gasket. I've reused mine a couple of times.Just be sure it is lined up exactly right.Make sure the timing cover and rear cover are flush with the bottom of the block.Use a little RTV in the corners.If everything isn't lined up right its gonna leak.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the gasket is a metal framed O-ring they don"t go bad,you probably have a leak between the front cover and oilpan or rearcover and oilpan.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

you can jack it up without dropping the k-mamber, IN my buddies Haynes manual ($14.00) it tells you everything need to drop the oil pan.....