New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Me Please! Calling All Ls1 Experts!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 07:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Please! Calling All Ls1 Experts!!

Yesterday I removed a bunch of stuff from my car for weight reduction, one of which was the EGR system. I have a 98 LS1 Camaro, where the EGR pipe is in the intake manifold. Well, I took out the EGR system, and now it takes 3 or 4 trys to start, sometimes not at all. What did I do wrong here? I have heard of plenty of people taking theirs out, without having a problem. I put the EGR block offs on my mid length headers. Once it starts, it runs mint. Please help me here!!!!!!! I need help!!!!!
Old 06-24-2004, 07:27 PM
PR Director

Is your car throwing a code once you get it started?
Old 06-24-2004, 07:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You did plug the intake manifold hole, right?
Old 06-24-2004, 08:45 PM
Banned

The engine is throwing a code already because i took my cats out, when i scanned it today, it had the egr code in it. also, yes i plugged the intake hole
Old 06-24-2004, 09:55 PM
Banned

i love it when someone mods their car ...then when its totally fkd up they wanna know why?????????......plus i wanna see any real adavantage to removing it ...plus it screws the factory tune.I hope you realize most of these trick of the week mods do NOTHING .Plus no egr and no cats means you are putting alot of crap out the tailpipes......no wonder the emission laws are getting super tough.....and i'll bet your car is NO FASTER than before you castrated the emissions system.........infact i'll bet its slower and uses more gas.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Whad did you use to plug the hole in the manifold?
Old 06-24-2004, 10:09 PM
Banned

WOW, 99pontTA, why are u hating on me? actually, my car ran a 12.6 with no cats, cats are garbage and serve no purpose as far as im concerened. The reason why I took the EGR out was to clean up the engine compartment, like it is in the 00-02 LS1s.............................. to block the hole, i cut off the part that goes into the manifold, the end of the EGR tubing, and put it back in place, and crimped it shut and filled it with JB Weld, completly sealing the hole.....
Old 06-24-2004, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Ok here is the deal, Your car is throwing a default code for two reasons that you have already outlined. The Cat is no big deal, but the EGR system code is causing the computer to mess with timming, my guess is that it is pulling timing. With LS-1 edit you should have the option turn the EGR system off from the program it self. Granted I haven't got the first hand experience of working with LS-1 edit, but it works just like any other computer/PCM interface. Your car won't use any more gas, it might run slightly richer as a result of the computer senseing more oxygen in the emissions, but if you correct it on the EDIT program it will solve that isssue.
All EGR does is recycle emmisions while the car is cold, or below operating temp. What you are experienceing here is the computer being confused because there is no longer exhaust gas being recirculated at start up. You car won't polute any more than it normally would because EGR doesn't stay on constantly it is regulated by the computer at random times where the engine may richen up or at cold operation , so that is of no concern.
Just get someone to help you with an edit program and you will be gravy.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99PontTA
i love it when someone mods their car ...then when its totally fkd up they wanna know why?????????......plus i wanna see any real adavantage to removing it ...plus it screws the factory tune.I hope you realize most of these trick of the week mods do NOTHING .Plus no egr and no cats means you are putting alot of crap out the tailpipes......no wonder the emission laws are getting super tough.....and i'll bet your car is NO FASTER than before you castrated the emissions system.........infact i'll bet its slower and uses more gas.
People remove their EGR when they update to an LS6 intake manifold, and have no choice. Removing the EGR does nothing wrong.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:14 PM
Banned

ok, so how do i go about fixing this, do i need to buy LS1 edit?? Can i go to the dealer and have them erase it??
Old 06-24-2004, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ricethis98
ok, so how do i go about fixing this, do i need to buy LS1 edit?? Can i go to the dealer and have them erase it??
no the dealer definitly won't do it . You'll prob have to find a ls1 peformance shop around you that does tuning to get it shut off . As far as pricing it varies but ls1 edit itself for PC personal use i belive is like 500 bucks .
Old 06-24-2004, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Whew is that how much it is....? Good lord, I suggest if you are going to be modding your car alot later on then go ahead and buy it, but if you are just needing it turned off have a local shop turn it off like ASR said.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:27 PM
Banned

There are no local shops around here, i live in Rochester NY....
Old 06-24-2004, 10:32 PM
Launching!

Ok so your next choice is to find one that is relatively close and over night your PCM to someone that can do it for you.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:43 PM
Banned

is there a way on this site to find out who lives near you??
Old 06-24-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ricethis98
is there a way on this site to find out who lives near you??
Hey dude, i took the EGR and AIR pump out of my car for the same reason....cleaning up the engine bay, didnt have the problem your having though, i live in CT and there is a shop called East side performance that does the ls1edit and a tune for 550 bux. If you are having trouble finding someone close by i think that may be ur best bet....but like said before if your gonna mod your car a lot down the road...buy it, otherwise, look up eastside...they are on the sponsor list too. I dont know what exactly it looks like w/ ur plug you made up on the top of the intake, but all i used was a simple 75 cent expansion plug from pep boys.....doesnt look bad at all either. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:58 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

removing the egr system and cats should not effect driveabilty in any regards, DTC's and all.

99PontTa; why dont you just sell your Fbody, i just think your pissed since you bought a lemon, got raped by a dealership, and dont have the wherewithal to fix it.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

it honestly should not have an idel problem with it removed , all i can say is check all your connections and vaccum lines , and pcm for less is doing ls1's now , i'd be a lot cheaper then 550 and he can over nite it . I don't know how good he is on LS1's but he's the man to go to on LT1's ,
http://www.pcmforless.com
Old 06-24-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since you are having some starting issues, I would look into the plug you made for the intake manifold. That is one place you do not want any leaks at all. Go get the rubber expandable freeze plug like was suggested by 99CamaroSS.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:25 AM
Banned

deleting EGR with factory tune could overheat the engine.