Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque arm or control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque arm or control arms?

I have 2000 camaro ss. I live i El paso, tx so elevation I think is about 4000ft+ and My best et is 13.78. my mods were: lid, Velocity stack, k&n, diablo programmer, cutout and 4.10 gears. I managed to get car down from 15.2's @ stock to 13.78 w/ mods. I have recently installed a torque converter and shift kit and spun all the way through first and only did a best et of 14.2 with converter and shift kit already in, but I had cheapo falken tires already running out of tread. Bought slicks and I am thinking of buying Lca's and torque arm, but only have enough money for either or. Lets say hypethetacillay speaking I would only put one one during the life of the car. Which one would givme better traction and then give me better times. Lower control arms or torque arm, I know I should get both, but only have enough money for 1 mod and would it benefit me to get it adjustable.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:26 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

LCAs are much more effective than a torque arm. They really help to make the rearend stay planted and kill off most of the wheel hop. The stock torque arm will get you deep into the 11s before you should consider replacing it. I ran 11.1s with a 6-speed before finally bending my stocker (1.5 60's)

LCAs helped out alot however. You will find that tires make the biggest difference.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Be careful running a full slick if you have an M6 car. That stock 10 bolt (assuming it's stock) won't last long.

I would go with LCA's and tires. A drag radial should be plenty for your mods.

edit: I'm a dumbass. I see that you have a converter so obviously you have an A4.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

go with the LCAs....im just about into the 11s on drag radials with the stock torque arm. you don't really need ajustables, they're good for whe your setting pinion angles and messing with the rear suspension geometry but if the car is never going to see an aftermarket torque arm anyway, just go with non-adjustables and save some cash. i have Spohn tubular non-adjustables with polyurethane bushings. EXCELLENT product for the money.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:30 AM
Launching!

thanks guys, I willl get lca's with my little money I have left. the slick I got was 26x9x15 hoosier. would that be ok. did not go with 28 since I meausred and found it would not fit. current stock tire and rim are at 25 inches.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shaulinmathvader
thanks guys, I willl get lca's with my little money I have left. the slick I got was 26x9x15 hoosier. would that be ok. did not go with 28 since I meausred and found it would not fit. current stock tire and rim are at 25 inches.
what kind of wheel are you running those slicks on??? if its not a centerline or a bogart, you will have to grind down your rear brake calipers to fit the wheels on.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Launching!

i don't know yet. I will basically have to go to a used tire shop and look for cheapo rims that could fit. I was going to buy them off of jegs but a friend told me I should be able to find some locally. there are alot of tire shops here so I should not have a problem, but what could u recommend. I will be looking for a 15 inch x 8inchrim?
Old 07-06-2004, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

If you get some 16" slicks and some salad shooter (stock camaro) wheels you will save some money. Of course you would need to get rid of the other slicks. Maybee you can find someone to trade with you.

Reason I am sayin this is that it is very hard to find a 15" wheel that will clear the calipers on our cars. Centerline and Bogarts as metioned earlier will fit with no probs but they come with a price, especially the bogarts.

Brad
Old 07-07-2004, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SquintzPallatore
If you get some 16" slicks and some salad shooter (stock camaro) wheels you will save some money. Of course you would need to get rid of the other slicks. Maybee you can find someone to trade with you.

Reason I am sayin this is that it is very hard to find a 15" wheel that will clear the calipers on our cars. Centerline and Bogarts as metioned earlier will fit with no probs but they come with a price, especially the bogarts.

Brad
agreed..sell your 15 inch slicks and pick up some 26/10.5/16s or something. you can pick up salad shooters or firebird take-off wheels (from SLP) for cheap.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:52 AM
Launching!

I may just have to do that. thanks guys