Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pump problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem Fixed!!!

My 99' SS had 80k on it when I bought it two years ago. The power steering pump was loud when I got it. I changed out the fluid. The fluid that came out was burnt smelling. The pump was still loud after this. The service records that came with the car showed that power steeing lines has leaked and been replaced. I assumed the pump was damaged from being run dry. I replaced the pump this year. It seemed better at first but now is loud again. the fluid did not smell burnt. I ran sythnetic fluid into it and added lucas power steering pump additive. It is still loud.

I need to figure out if I need a new pump again or if I have other problems. The pump I put in was a GM.

Could my steering rack be bad?

Could I have a restriction in the system?

?????

Thanks!!

Last edited by fasteddyss; 08-25-2004 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:55 PM

When you mention that it's loud, are you meaning that it's loud when you've got the hood open and can hear it standing there, or do you mean that you can hear it, when you're in the car?

The fluid smells burnt,and the recs' show that there was a leak. Do they mention anything about how bad the leak was? Have you tried flushing the entire power steering system and then bleeding the air out of it, and not just changing fluid? I wonder if when they changed the lines, that they didn't properly bleed the system of air. If the lines were leaking at any great amount, it might be a possibility that the pump may have suffered some damage.Because the service records don't indicate that, who's to know. Also, have you checked to see if there is too much tension on the serpentine belt? If it's too tight, and and some flunkie mech just wrenched that belt tight til he felt it was okay, then it may be an excess amount of tension on the belt.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

I flushed synthetic fluid through it the last time. It is loud inside tha car with the hood closed, both when hot and cold. I may have a second bad pump?? but I really don't want to try that again unless I am sure.

Anyone else???
Old 07-22-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fasteddyss
I flushed synthetic fluid through it the last time. It is loud inside tha car with the hood closed, both when hot and cold. I may have a second bad pump?? but I really don't want to try that again unless I am sure.

Anyone else???
These F-car power steering setups are junk. I replaced a rack, pump and the gear. I think its the gear that whining. Mine went bad and **** metal into the rack and pump ruining everything.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it once and forget about it ...

http://www.lingenfelter.com/lingenfe...18&pf%5Fid=491
Old 07-22-2004, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, that is nice
Old 07-22-2004, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Did you bleed the system after you replaced the pump? Air in the system will make a pump real noisey and usually burn the pump up.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

When I put the pump in i did'nt really lose any except for what was in the reservoir, which I filled up prior to firing it up. My buddy that is a chev mechanic helped.

I have another buddy that is a chev mechanic and he told me that the replacement pumps suck and I likely have a bad one.

That lingenfelter piece looks nice, I guess I will do that if I need to. It seems silly that GM can't make a decent pump for this car??
Old 07-22-2004, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me warn you about the Turn One pump ...

At low engine RPM, that is at idle just off idle, the pump just doesn't pump enough fluid, so the steering wheel will feel "heavy", like the pump isn't working. the rack requires 3gpm to operate and a stock pumps flow 10-12gpm ... hence the reason for the fluid to overheat. The Turn One pump flow only 6gpm, max.

Also, the pulley is definitely worth the extra cash.

There are several references to folks who have gone this route at www.frrax.com . Here is one ...

http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?a...5&hl=turn+one&
Old 08-24-2004, 07:20 PM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up Problem fixed

I wanted to post a follow up on my power steering problems. After this discussion my pump got louder and louder. This was the GM remanufactured I just put in this spring with less than 10k on it. I followed the link from mitchntx and searched that site for info. I decided to order the Turn one pump. I called Turn One and ordered the performance pump from them. I have to say I was quite pleased with the help I got from Jeff in helping me work through the problem. When I got off the phone from ordering I went to drive my car and noticed the pump was leaking around tha cap and between the pump and reservoir, pissing everywhere. I did not drive the car until I got the new pump.

The Turn One pump came in two days and I put it on on Saturday.

FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE I HAVE OWNED THE CAR (30K) I DID NOT HAVE ANY POWER STEERING WHINE!!!!

I have driven a few hundred miles since and could not be more pleased. The pump makes no noise at all. I have not noticed any increased effort with the pump either. I feels great!!

Just my 2 cents. In summary: GM pumps suck, GM remanufactured pumps suck and Turn One pumps are the answer to power steering woes.

*non-sponsor info removed.

Last edited by WILWAXU; 08-24-2004 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Power steering pump problems