Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning the tops of pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 11:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cleaning the tops of pistons?

I'm in the process of cleaning the carbon off my pistons while the heads are off. How do you guys keep the junk out of the water jackets in the head? FYI, i'm using the brake cleaner/scotch brite pad method. Thanks fellas!
Old 08-06-2004, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I cleaned the coolant out of the head bolt holes, dried the deck surface and then masked everything off with masking tape. Works very well keeping debris out of the jackets and head bolt holes. I found that a dremel tool with a soft metal brush will work very well at cleaning the carbon off the domes of the pistons. I used a product called Fuel Power to spray them down and then proceed to clean. During a head swap cleanliness is key. Make sure everything is clean and the head bolt holes are very clean with numerous cleaning before torquing down the new head bolts. Coolant will not compress with torque and will lead to a blown headgasket after the motor is put back together. Spraying an air compressor into the bolt holes worked well for me along with toweling it up. Nice choice on the heads! AS heads have been turning out good numbers as of late. My heads really woke my TR224 up. I'm also running cats so I would think I have at least 10 more rwhp available with a set of race pipes.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:21 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just used a razor blade and 99% came off with out any real work at all. THen used brake cleaner to do a quick wipe down etc... and as far as the coolant passages I used a couple of rags to keep the dirt from getting in to the coolant passages and after all were done I used a shopvac to vacum the areas.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:52 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some Seafoam or GM Top Engine Cleaner and let it soak on the pistons overnite. What you don't get cleaned off will burn off when you fire it up.

I used my shop vac to suck the coolant and old gasket material out of the water jackets after I had it all cleaned up.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:01 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the replies guys!

Ryan,
I'm really hoping for 425 at the tires with the TR224 and the heads. My car is pretty well loaded with the boltons and has no cats. Our cars are very similiar so if I get 10 over yours with off road pipes I'm a happy man! BTW, how is the stock clutch holding up so far?
Old 08-08-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

John, I would think you should have no problem hitting your mark. Are you running a Cutout on your setup? I remember Gomer was able to pick up like 15rwhp with an open cutout in the I pipe over his B@B catback on his HC car. My LS6 clutch seems to be holding up fine with no problems however it does get very hot doing a 1-4 run shifting at 6500rpms. I don't see it dying anytime soon as the car is not run at the track too much as I need a DD. When the funds for a 12 bolt come around I'm gonna throw in a Spec 3i also. Enjoy your setup.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Why are you bothering to clean the tops of the pistons? They will get carbon again soon after you run it. Scraping it off/ metal brush? You have a better chance of getting something left in the area along side of the piston and above the top ring. Soak with top end engine cleaner? Great way to contaminate your oil. That stuff is meant to be used while the engine is running. I know you will change your oil anyway but why take the chance.

Scaz
10.39 126mph factory heads(just a good valve job) factory manifold No juice no blower

Last edited by SCAZ; 08-08-2004 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

Ryan,
I've cut the hooker y pipe and put a flowmaster collector with 3inch in and 3.5 out, 3.5 inch cutout, and a Qtec. I'm getting pretty excited about getting it running again. Very glad to hear the clutch is holding good! Mine was doing great with the cam only. Mine doesn't see the track just some street use. Thanks buddy!

SCAZ,
What a great source of encouragement you are. Cleaing them just because I can. Used a razor blade and finished with brake cleaner. Used compressor to make sure none got left behind on top of the rings. I'll change the oil regardless, so oil contamination isn't an issue. Thanks for adding 0 helpful info to the post!
Old 08-08-2004, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Sorry you took it that way John, but I would like to see you keep your ring seal better than a clean piston top.
Any small particiles that get to the top ring gap could impeade the rotation of the ring as well as keep the ring off of the bottom of the ring land where all of the sealing goes on since the combustion pressure is pushing the ring down. As for compressed air blowing the dirt out, It blows some out and some deeper.

Side note: If anyone is using the whiz wheels that look like scotch brite to clean decks or heads, they have Aluminum oxide in them which is an abrasive. This stuff is so fine it will show up in your oil and hurts your lower end bearing. Try using the ones that look like little plastic fingers. Ask your GM dealer for the Service Bulletin that came out years ago on this.

Scaz

Last edited by SCAZ; 08-08-2004 at 10:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the tops of pistons?