Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help find the best priced trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Help find the best priced trans cooler

Just picked up a 3200stall torque converter(can't wait to find out what all the hype is about ) and now im in need of a cooler. My question is what size do i need, and where is the best place to get it. I looked first at Jegs and Summit figuring that their volume would cause them to have the lowest prices, and so far this seems true. Has anyone seen any floating around out there for cheaper then 45.88(summit), for the 19,000gvw?
Old 08-10-2004, 07:36 AM
12 Second Club

Thunder Racing has them on sale right now. The 24000 GVW is the one I have and is also the same one most guys use. B&M also carries a race cooler that has a higher rating but I don't have any info on it.

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=175
Old 08-10-2004, 09:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They are a widely available item, I think I paid
under $40 for a Hayden cooler at Pep Boys and
it was in the 25000 GVW (what a hoax rating basis)
range. Check local.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Fastvert, what year and model car do you have? If it happens to be an 03 or 04 Vette, there may be some mounting issues. The mounting kits for most of the coolers aren't compatible with these model years.

If it's not a Vette, disregard!
Old 08-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Its a 98 TA conv., but thanks for lookin out for me bro! I'm pretty excited to get this verter in the car and take it for a drive. Ive never riden with anyone who has one so ive been reading EVERY post about them on here, and now im even more excited. The verter i got is a Daaco 3200 with 2.0 str. Seeing how my car is heavier and i have 2.73s i hear its gonna feel pretty loose around town. Is this true? Is it gonna hit hard tho? Also, is this thing gonna melt my stock tires? What would be a good tire to throw on the back that will fit my stock wheels and help me to hook up better? Help me out here guys with your experiences, im pulling out my hair in anticipation! If i use the search button anymore i think my PC might melt down...
Old 08-11-2004, 06:38 AM
Staging Lane

OK, lots of questions in your last post. Let's tackle a few.

A 3200 TC is still considered pretty mild, especially with the 2.73 gears which are also considered pretty mild (more for fuel economy than racing). That being said, you'll really like the nice hook you'll get with the 2.0 STR.

Speaking of hooking, lots of different tires will hook up for you. It really depends on what you're planning to do with the car: daily driver (i.e., rain, snow) , dedicated race car, street warrior, etc. If you're just looking to just make a lot of smoke, almost any old tire will do.

Old 08-13-2004, 07:27 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I'm running a 3500 stall w/2.5 STR / 2.73 gears and it's a little loose. It's been on the car for well over 50K miles so it just seems normal. I can literally fry the tires from a standing start. I'm running 245/50 Bridgestones on the stock 16" rims. Formerly had Kuhmos but disliked them so much I put them up in smoke. The Bridgestone Potenzas suit my needs because I travel mucho highway miles to work and back. Anything that will fit on stock 16s except maybe drag radials doesn't provide optimum traction for a hard hitting 'verter, AFAIK.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

I like my converter

I picked mine up at Thunder------------------------------------------------------>