Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock & Lingenfelter to partner on LS_ head

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 12:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edelbrock & Lingenfelter to partner on LS_ head

I picked up on this forum out of interest and market research. Right now, the company that I work for is in the development stage of a LS_ cylinder head that upon its introduction at SEMA will be the best head available. A lot of time and logic has gone into the research and development effort of this cylinder head, as Edelbrock has partnered with Lingenfelter Performance to incorporate their extensive backgorund and real world testing into the design, performance and quality of this piece. Now that the cat is out of the bag, you can look for more updates and information as it is available. I am certian that you all have a lot of questions and I will do my best to see that they are answered with the best information available.

Thank you,
Jason Snyder
Edelbrock Corp.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cost?
Old 08-21-2004, 01:01 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just like with AFR i'll believe the results when i see them on independent setups.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

If lingenfelter is in on it I suspect it will be a somewhat expensive product. But with these two companies working on it I also suspect it to perform very well.

I hope I'm wrong about the price
Old 08-21-2004, 01:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Looks like the LS1 aftermarket is taking off! Edelbrock makes some very good heads for some of the Furd (LONG LIVE THE BLUE OVAL!) motors. Hopefully their LSX stuff is just as good!

Jason - How does your prototype head compare to the AFR heads that have just been released for these LSX motors?
Old 08-21-2004, 01:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I can't get too deep into the development, but the port design is very good. The goal is to bring a reletively small port that offers high flow and the ability to upgrade. I can tell you that the flow data of our SLA(s) have come back very favorable. Again, I can't come back with flow and cost at the moment, as these heads will be shown at SEMA for the first time.

As for the cost and dyno number, they will come and I can tell you that Edelbrock has the ability to design, engineer, cast and manufacture their own heads. This will keep cost down. The numbers will be there; we are equipped with three engine dynos, a chassis dyno, a 98 F-car, 97 C5, 01 Z06 and a 04 GTO, so testing is of the highest importance and will not be an issue.

You can also rely on the fact that this is going to be a stout head with plenty of casting in the deck as well as the port walls. Spring pockets collapsing will not be an issue when it comes to a hogged out port. A couple of additonal qualites will be reinforced rocker stud bosses, a dual bolt pattern for center bolt and perimiter mount valve covers and a high quality port designed by Edelbrock and Lingenfelter.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:24 AM
10 Second Club

how long we going ot be wating for this head to come out?
Old 08-21-2004, 01:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

We are on schedule to introduce at the SEMA show in Las Vegas. The show takes place in November and we will have the production piece there on display.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:46 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

I myself have had 4 sets of heads, and wouldnt hesitate to switch yet again if a new option became available for a decent price.

I think as long as head setups are available for stock bore street cars you'll probably sell quite a bit. If its more of a larger bore head with larger valves only, it may be a bit harder to sell quantity.

BTW, I sent you an email at your edelbrock address.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

hmm, this is good. so far the introduction of afr heads hasn't lowered the cost of ls6 heads too much yet, however with the introduction of these, i'd be interested to see the effect. edlebrock has quite a bit of manufacturing/R&D power behind them, i anticipate quite a product. yet as jrp said, it shall remain to be seen until proven on some outside setups.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:49 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

LS6 head prices are going to drop since all LS2's basically have LS6 heads on them. The LS2 will be in the GTO, SSR, and C6. Thats a lot of vehicles for it to be the default OEM head in....prices can only go down on those castings
Old 08-21-2004, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by jasonsny
We are on schedule to introduce at the SEMA show in Las Vegas. The show takes place in November and we will have the production piece there on display.

Rick Roberts involved???

Ed
Old 08-21-2004, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I asked about this at the edelbrock vendor truck at the lucas oil nationals at bir last week, they gave me the moron look, and said they would not produce a head that could not make a significant improvment on power.I asked what that ment ,and he said the gm design was so good that there would be no use in casting their own.I asked if he was aware of the afr heads and got the same moron look again and gave up.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Z-Ya,

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the positive feedback that you were looking for at the Lucas Nats. We do rely on more than 50 outside sales representatives nationwide to help us promote our product. To be quite honest, a lot of them had no idea of the status of the LS head project, as we have been keeping it under wraps until now. Furthermore, the LS engine is so misinterpreted and I am amazed by the lack of understanding and awareness of the GENIII in the general performance market. But it is beginning to be embraced at all levels of our industry and along with it will bring more product available. Thanks for the feed back; you guys know this platform better than anyone and that is why I enjoy spending time on the forum.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by EDC

Rick Roberts involved???

Ed
Absolutely...we would be crazy not to have quite possibly the best cylinder head engineer in the business working on this one!
Old 08-21-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jmX
LS6 head prices are going to drop since all LS2's basically have LS6 heads on them. The LS2 will be in the GTO, SSR, and C6. Thats a lot of vehicles for it to be the default OEM head in....prices can only go down on those castings

just have to wait.....patience is a virtue....
Old 08-21-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

just make it cheaper and better than the AFR head and you will sell a ton or two
Old 08-21-2004, 03:48 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Will it be as good as the Lingenfelter/Holley intake :p

Just kidding, competition for our $$$ can only make better products come out, especially with a knowledge base as good as this one.

Hope to see #'s soon on some independent setups.

Very exciting time to be an LSx owner.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by z98
Will it be as good as the Lingenfelter/Holley intake :p

Just kidding, competition for our $$$ can only make better products come out, especially with a knowledge base as good as this one.

Hope to see #'s soon on some independent setups.

Very exciting time to be an LSx owner.
Now you know why you haven't seen and intake from Edelbrock! Trust me on this one...we wouldn't be doing it if we weren't doing it well.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by KingCrapBox
Looks like the LS1 aftermarket is taking off! Edelbrock makes some very good heads for some of the Furd (LONG LIVE THE BLUE OVAL!) motors. Hopefully their LSX stuff is just as good!

Jason - How does your prototype head compare to the AFR heads that have just been released for these LSX motors?
Right you are KingCrapBox (I love that name), the Ford guys love Edelbrock's cylinder heads and they are proven to perform at all levels; just look at the NMRA. I hope to see the LS_ series generate as much presence as the Ford 5.0L has; it certainly has the potential to do just that!