PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

was told computer would need to be "burned' not modifyable???

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default was told computer would need to be "burned' not modifyable???

i need to find a place around here to burn my computer. hptuners is in cali right? i cant tow my car on a trailer all the way out there. can i like mail my computer and tell them everything i have done to it and them make it right, or is that not possible? i would rather go with someone in the northeast texas area maybe dallas or somewhere kind of close. i was told by a man named bob norwood out of the dallas area that the computer would have to be burned because gm computers werent made to be modified??? he said he only knew of one person in the world that could burn my computer and the guy lives in tulsa oklahoma. he said his name started with a w but he couldnt remember exactly. he said something like watt. if anyone knows how i can contact him please let me know. thanks
Old 08-26-2004, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is call flashing the pcm. Yes there are a **** load of places in DFW that can do it and there are a lot of other places.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:44 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its reflashing a new program on the PCM and anyone with edit or hptuner, or for that matter predator or the Vinci hand tool can do it. provided they use the right program for your year (i.e a 99 edit/hptuner, ect wont work with a 02)
Old 08-27-2004, 07:47 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bob Norwood is a Ferrari guy, and is building that crazy turbo Honda Funny car. Smart guy, built a lot of neat cars, but toally wrong about the PCM...

Anyhow, Bob is about 10 years behind on his tuning knowledge with regards to the GM PCM. Yes, many years ago, your only choice for PCM tuning was to contact Ed Wright @ FASTCHIPS in Tulsa. Now, you have ls1edit, and HP tuners, and soon AutoTap will have one.

We have a whole section on this board just for tuning, and tuning related products. Have a look...

BTW there are several tuners in Dallas (LGM and a few others), and you might also look at Texas Speed in Lubbock depending on where you are in N. Texas.

Or, you can buy the software and do it yourself.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:15 PM
Launching!

where in dallas could i go get my car tuned for a reasonable price? a place with a chassis dyno preferrably. i do not want to go to lg, they havent been very friendly to me at all in the past. what are my other options? let me know thanks.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Definetely check into Texas Speed. They know their stuff. I'm Not sure what other tuners area available in Texas though.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:41 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

We offer complete mail order tuning for $250! Feel free to call & ask for Jason, he does the tuning
Old 08-28-2004, 12:22 AM
Launching!

the only problem is that i dont have a clue what size cam is in this car because lg motorsports built this cam for the guy that had it before me and they acted like it was some kind of real pain in the *** to help me find out what kind of cam and heads package they sold him like 3-4 months ago. i know that the heads are 5.3's because they read 862 on the side, but the cam i dont have a clue. it was loping bad though so its not the mild package they sale but what it is i dont know and as for the rest of the motor i know he put 36lb injectors and i put the eagle 383 kit in it, with je pistons so without the cam specs i dont know if anyone will be able to do that mail order stuff? and if i did the mail order could i just have a local shop with a chassis dyno do the final tuning? (re-timing the engine and just final tweaking) let me know. thanks.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

the guys name is ed wright fastchips.com anyone can flash a computer theres alot of guys out there that by some stuff off the net and call themselves tuners. yeah there cheap alright if you like being a test car..
just know this one wrong change on the computer and there goes the engine up in smoke. only trust one person and thats ed wright hes the best there is
Old 08-28-2004, 03:53 PM
Launching!

what is ed wright telephone number? (fastchips.com is for sale no longer accessible) does he do mail order because i dont relish the idea of trailering my car all the way to tulsa ok from longview tx. and i wouldnt drive the car untuned, so if anyone knows how i can contact ed wright let me know. thanks.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Send me a PM with the previous owners name and the year and model of the car and I will see if I can get you the info you are looking for.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:56 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some folks might differ with your opinion of Ed being the best there is... I don't know Ed, I've never dealt with him, but I think more than a few folks on here can share their experiences with you on this topic.

Talk to Louis, and he can get you squared away.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fozziejared
the only problem is that i dont have a clue what size cam is in this car ...... i put the eagle 383 kit in it, with je pistons .....
You put a stroker kit in the engine, and have no clue what kind of cam is in it?
Old 08-30-2004, 11:36 PM
Launching!

I don't think Ed will be able to help ya since you don't know the size of your cam. I got a mailorder tune from him with my first head/cam setup and it was good. Ran a bit rich but good. The fact that he only change the timing table, gear & tire size for $500 and locked my PCM is what really bothers me. ANyway I'm learning how to tune now with HPTuners and fell much better off. Since you don't know the size of your cam I would suggest having it dyno tuned. I've read a lot of good reviews on the Texas Speed tunes.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you don't wanna deal with Ed Wright... he locks his PCMs... so you're locked to using only him (not even an editor)

sinc eyou don't know the specs of the car exactly.... would be best doing either a dyno tune or tuning yourself (www.hptuners.com will let you tune yourself)