Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to limp home on a broken valve spring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to limp home on a broken valve spring?

I'm picking up a car tomorrow that has a broken valve spring. If I pull the rocker arms/pushrods off that cylinder, unplug the fuel injector, take out the spark plug, and use a hose clamp to ensure the valve with the broken spring is held closed, can I safely limp it home?
Old 09-05-2004, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get a tow, better safe than sorry.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:06 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the safest way to limp it home would be to buy the proper valve spring..and change it before driving it home...
Its not that hard...
just need an 8mm socket...a 10mm socket....maybe a short extension.. a torque wrench good for 22ft-lbs.... a valve spring tool.... and a little patience.... just be sure to get th ecylinder to tdc before removing the old valve spring...

then you can limp it home safely at a low rpm...where at home you can then tear into the motor and look for a bent valve or a screwed up piston....or other issues...
Old 09-05-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldnt risk it.... besides firing on 7 cylinders isnt good for the motor..... at all..... id just pay the tow bill and fix it in the drive way in 45 min if its a double spring...... if its a single then more then likley you screwed up a valve and a piston.... very bad...... its not wortht he risk of buying a new long block.
Kyle
Old 09-05-2004, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've limped my car home 3 seperate times with broken valve springs. Each time the home trip being in the neighborhood of 30 miles.

The last time I limped it home it resulted in a bent valve. I'd get it towed back to the house someway.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Teching In

If you are that tight on the bucks, get a tow bar and flat tow it. Anything is better than try to crip home a wounded LS1. I wonder how great a hose clamp will grip an oily, hardened surface like a valve stem for two-three hours of engine vibration on the trip home. If it has a busted spring it may already have damage and further operation may change the fix from replacing one valve and a spring to the whole shortblock. I wouldn't.

Tow bar rental :$50.00
Tow truck [depends on total mileage] $75- $300.
LS1 replacement engine: $2000 +.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SpeedDreaming
If you are that tight on the bucks, get a tow bar and flat tow it. Anything is better than try to crip home a wounded LS1. I wonder how great a hose clamp will grip an oily, hardened surface like a valve stem for two-three hours of engine vibration on the trip home. If it has a busted spring it may already have damage and further operation may change the fix from replacing one valve and a spring to the whole shortblock. I wouldn't.

Tow bar rental :$50.00
Tow truck [depends on total mileage] $75- $300.
LS1 replacement engine: $2000 +.
If cash is the problem you have 2 options:
1) rent a two-wheel dolly from U-Haul, cheap, safe, effective...just make sure you have a buddy that can tow it, and has the power hookups. or do it in the daytime, that should be ok as long as you can see the tow-vehicle's brake lights from around the car.
2) buy a cheap tow-strap, drop the sucker in neutral, and have a buddy (that you can trust) steer. only do this a short distance. very cheap, done it before. but you have to be VERY CAREFUL. choose the person who drives it well, and drive slowly. if they hit the brakes hard, the driver of the tow-vehicle will get a big surprise.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xaon
I've limped my car home 3 seperate times with broken valve springs. Each time the home trip being in the neighborhood of 30 miles.

The last time I limped it home it resulted in a bent valve. I'd get it towed back to the house someway.
Yep, I tried limping across town and ended up with a bent valve and dinged up piston... still recovering from that one.

I wouldn't even replace the spring since the valve may already be bent. If it was a double spring and only one of them broke then you're probably in good shape and can change it out, but other than that, tow it.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Terry Burger
How to limp home on a broken valve spring?
You don't want to. Tow her, or get her towed. Period. Or you'll risk your heads/shortblock. Bend a valve, kiss a piston, and goodbye $$$...
Old 09-05-2004, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For the amount of time it would take you to "limp" home, you could probably change the spring! Otherwise, get it towed. Just not worth the risk.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:03 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm confused! Did you guys just drive on it with the bad spring? If I pull the rocker arms, injector, and plug, how could I do further damage?

TIA!
Terry
Old 09-05-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

Roller lifters require that they follow the cam exactly to prevent damage. Removing the valve train is removing the parts necessary to provide a controlled movement.Do you want that lifter just bouncing off of the cam all the way home ? The lifter could even pop out of the hole making you lose oil pressure. If you want to drive it that way then go ahead. I can't feel it from my wallet
Old 09-06-2004, 12:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Hehe well I figured the lifter would pop up in it's retainer and stay there

So no one has done this to limp home from the track or something? I thought I had read about it before. I just don't have an extra spring handy. It's either this or a 170 mile tow with a smelly driver.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:49 AM
10 Second Club

Hehe well I figured the lifter would pop up in it's retainer and stay there

So no one has done this to limp home from the track or something? I thought I had read about it before. I just don't have an extra spring handy. It's either this or a 170 mile tow with a smelly driver.
I know someone who did this 125 miles using the same exact method you described with no damage. Just baby it.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

TOW IT. or Change it.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

F#ck limping it home. Kiss a piston if you want to. Get a tow dolley and borrow a pick up truck. Or tow her.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I drove a thousand miles home on a bent exhaust valve, then drove another two months before swapping the valve My friend Frank who replaced it said I was a verrry lucky guy.

I broke the valvespring in BFE (Effingham, Illinois) in June of 2002 (or was it 2001?). At any rate, the dealer wanted $1000 just to pull the head and check the valves. I ordered a set of 918's and just had them replace all the springs.

I had autotap running the entire way back home to Orlando monitoring the misfires. Piston didn't need to be replaced or cleaned up, IIRC. I didn't feel comfortable with only changing one spring, then having another pop every couple of hundred miles

I would not have peace of mind without changing all the springs. I've ruined two motors due to broken valvesprings.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by soundengineer
the safest way to limp it home would be to buy the proper valve spring..and change it before driving it home...
Its not that hard...
just need an 8mm socket...a 10mm socket....maybe a short extension.. a torque wrench good for 22ft-lbs.... a valve spring tool.... and a little patience.... just be sure to get th ecylinder to tdc before removing the old valve spring...

then you can limp it home safely at a low rpm...where at home you can then tear into the motor and look for a bent valve or a screwed up piston....or other issues...

Also a magnet is handy to help get the locks
Old 09-07-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

I'm confused! Did you guys just drive on it with the bad spring? If I pull the rocker arms, injector, and plug, how could I do further damage?

TIA!
Terry
If you have a single spring you could drop a valve if the lock can get out, or drop it enough to tap it depending on how far down it is.

Also having that much oil pressure on your lifter without load on it is a bad thing, I've heard of them coming apart before because of excess oil pressure without load (Little bearings everywhere!)
Old 09-07-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I drove around for about a month in my old LT1 car with a broken 987 spring. I never knew it. I raced a Ferrari down the freeway to speeds way over 150 in it....ran fine. One day, I had the hood open and heard metal tapping. Pulled the cover, sure enough, broken spring and the rocker was off to the side of the valve tip. . It was still opening the valve...a little. The inner spring saved my ****! I sent the head to GTP, CC warrantied the spring, got a new rocker and off I was going.

I say drive it!!

Quick Reply: How to limp home on a broken valve spring?