Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing SLP Long Tubes this weekend- Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 06:12 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Removing SLP Long Tubes this weekend- Questions...

I didn't install the SLP LT's on my car. They were the first mod I did and I had someone do it for me.

Now, I need to get them off this weekend (QTP HVM LT's going on).

I've read through the SLP LT install links (as I'll basically be doing the reverse procedure). The thing that worries me is moving the tranny. OK, I'll follow the procedure to unbolt the tranny mount towards the rear of tranny.

Does the tranny drop under its own weight? Or does the driveshaft hold it up? I'll have a jack under it, but I just want to know what to expect.

What's the best method for moving the tranny around? I read an interesting write-up on moving it with belts strapped to SFC's. But I have no SFC's.

I'm a little worried about doing this, but I've got to do it myself.

Also, will Rhino Ramps be tall enough to give enough clearance to point the LT
s straight up and down?. I don't think they will be.

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 10-08-2004 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever I lower mine, I just find it easier to remove the driveshaft (5 min). I'm not sure how much you have to lower it to remove the headers, just make sure to remove your shifter if its a significant distance. Don't want that snagging and holding you up.

Good luck with your install.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:21 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Oh man. Sounds like I'm getting in over my head.

I've done heads and cam install, but with the guidance of a buddy of mine who builds motors.
I'll be leading the swap tomorrow with another buddy of mine - crap.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:28 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Ok, I found this for the driveshaft, if I have to go there:

Removal
1) Remove torque arm. Two bolts in back. One bolt (if memory serves me correct) on the front mount that loosens the bracket mount and allows the torque arm to slide in and out.

2) on the rear u-joint, unbolt the two bolts on each side sides' bracket that holds the cross onto the rear end's portion of the joint.

3) Once driveshaft is loose from the U-joint (you may have to force it loose by sticking a big screwdriver inbetween the rear ends' side of the u-joint and the cross and wiggle/pry loose), slide D.S. back and out from the transmission

Installation
1) align splines in front u-joint yoke with those on the transmission, slide in.

2) seat cross of rear u-joint into the yoke coming from the rear end, reattach hold down brackets, tighten to specified torque (which I don't have on the tip of my tongue).

3) Replace torque arm.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:17 PM
dug
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I missing something? Why do you have to remove the trans to swap the headers?
Old 10-08-2004, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure if you're going to be high enough with those Rhino ramps, you need plenty of ground clearance when installing SLP LT's so I would think the same for removing them. For most is safety on this job, block those rear wheels and set the e-brake before removing the driveshaft. To push the tranny over you could use a large crow bar, place the crow bar up into the tunnel of the floor pan and push the tranny to one side. Before dropping the trany you might want to disconnect the TB hose from the lid, as the tranny goes down it could cause damage to the hose or lid. You really should gets some help before tackling this removal, I've said this before " Dead guys can't work on cars " so be carefull. PM me your phone number if you would like and I'll give you a call to see if there's any info I might be able to give you.

Al
Old 10-08-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dug
Am I missing something? Why do you have to remove the trans to swap the headers?
You don't remove the tranny, you just remove the rear tranny cross member to lower the tranny.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

When you remove the tranny crossbrace, it will drop 3-4 inches. I usually have a jack under it, to perform a controlled lowering, not letting it just fall.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by felton316
When you remove the tranny crossbrace, it will drop 3-4 inches. I usually have a jack under it, to perform a controlled lowering, not letting it just fall.
Yes.. you definitely want a jack.. I've always been privied to a lift and tranny jack.

Be careful since you're only using ramps..
Old 10-08-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

When I installed and then subsequently removed my SLP headers, I didn't drop the tranny at all...I just loosened the tranny mount bolts and pried it to the side with a long prybar. If I remember correctly, the crossmember mount holes are slotted, so there was enough lateral movement to let the passenger side header pop in. Also, you have to stand the header up almost completely vertical at one point during the maneuvering, so I don't know if the Rhino ramps will be high enough. I can tell you one thing, once you've removed the SLP headers, you'll be amazed how easy the QTPs go in...I replaced my SLPs with Kooks, which I hear are basically the same as the QTPs. Moving the tranny wasn't even necessary for the install of the Kooks...
Old 10-08-2004, 10:27 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

I greatly appreciate all the advice offered to me on this thread, and the concern for my safety. Thank you Dark Age 53 for your offer.

Any further thoughts/tips greatly appreciated.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:56 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by dug
Welcome to the world of SLP long tubes, possibly the very LAST long tube I would EVER consider putting on my car LOL.

Good choice on the QTPs with the HV merge collectors.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:04 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
When I installed and then subsequently removed my SLP headers, I didn't drop the tranny at all...I just loosened the tranny mount bolts and pried it to the side with a long prybar. If I remember correctly, the crossmember mount holes are slotted, so there was enough lateral movement to let the passenger side header pop in. Also, you have to stand the header up almost completely vertical at one point during the maneuvering, so I don't know if the Rhino ramps will be high enough. I can tell you one thing, once you've removed the SLP headers, you'll be amazed how easy the QTPs go in...I replaced my SLPs with Kooks, which I hear are basically the same as the QTPs. Moving the tranny wasn't even necessary for the install of the Kooks...
Lawman, I presume the driveshaft remained in place, correct?
Old 10-09-2004, 06:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

carlos, i dont know where you are getting this info from, but i did the long tubes on my car myself and i didnt touch the tranny at alllll. all i needed to do is undo one motor mount and jack up the motor slightly from one side to get one header and and the same on the other side. dont get yourself caught up in messing with the tranny if u dont have to. if that tranny falls, good luck trying to pick it up. i did headers twice and it was the same procedure. undo a motor mount and place a jack under to jack the motor up slightly and your header should have more than enough clearance to come out. the only thing is that you are going to have to play a little bit for it to come out, but it will come out. call me if u have questions.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:18 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by whitecamaross
carlos, i dont know where you are getting this info from, but i did the long tubes on my car myself and i didnt touch the tranny at alllll. all i needed to do is undo one motor mount and jack up the motor slightly from one side to get one header and and the same on the other side. dont get yourself caught up in messing with the tranny if u dont have to. if that tranny falls, good luck trying to pick it up. i did headers twice and it was the same procedure. undo a motor mount and place a jack under to jack the motor up slightly and your header should have more than enough clearance to come out. the only thing is that you are going to have to play a little bit for it to come out, but it will come out. call me if u have questions.
You have Hooker headers. Thanks for the tip on the motor mount.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

yes i have hookers, but damn are slp's from another planet that all this needs to be done?
Old 10-09-2004, 06:39 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

^ I'll let ya know on monday, hehe.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

did u do the lsx intake yet?
Old 10-09-2004, 06:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I had SLP LT and I replaced them with Jet Hot's. I installed both so I know whats involved.

I also have those Rhino ramps. They are great for somethings but not for a LT Headers install. You will need to get a good car jack and some jack stand to be safe. Get it up as high as you can!

To remove the SLP LT, remove the following:

- Steering Knuckle
- Starter
- Oil Filter
- Tranny Cross Brace

Also get a piece of 2x4 that is about 18-24 inches long. When you have all those things removed and the tranny is hanging, have a buddy use the 2x4 to shift the tranny to one side while you try to get the SLP LT header out. Don't forget to remove your O2 sensors first!

BTW - My Jethot LT Headers just slip right in and out with out removing anything....
Old 10-09-2004, 07:11 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Damn SLP's!

LSX not on yet.