Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what sensor is right next to spark plug on cyl 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what sensor is right next to spark plug on cyl 1

What is the sensor that is right next to the spark plug for cylinder #1. it has a plug that goes into it. I ask because the plastic part that goes around the 3 prongs came off. My car has been misfiring and running like crap. I just swaped springs, pushrods, injector, plug, plug wire and coil. I know the car wont start with that sensor not hooked up. what would be the problems if the sensor was bad or not hooked up well? thanks for your help.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the temp sensor.

The pcm won't know if the engine is warm enough to go into closed loop mode...

And it won't know what area of several tables to use, for example ignition timing, a/f ratio, etc.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if this sensor was bad how would the car act? Anyone had this sensor go out?
Old 10-10-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

i need to know this also.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, it won't run right...

It will run rich. I think spark timing is held back some too. Idle will be higher than normal.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a miss in cylinder #1 that was pretty bad thats why i started doing some swapping of parts would this cause cylinder 1 to miss since it is right next to cylinder 1. I did some autotapping since i just finnished the spring, pushrod, injector swap. The car still seemed to be missing but it I couldnt pinpoint what cylinder it was coming from and autotap said it wasnt coming from cylinder 1 but it still aint right. Anyone have a part # for the 98's (99+ are different) I heard they are only like $25 tops from doing some searching on the site. I soooo what to get this thing running right so I can put my dang cam in its been on the shelf for over a year now. I havent been motivated enough to go buy a compressor and some good tools till the car got messed up. now that I went and bought them I want to put the cam in.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw this on the truck I messed with using the owner's
HPTuners. The ECT was bouncing from like -100 to +300
and as a result the timing was also jittering all around,
made it run rough and inconsistently. It just drives fuel
and spark insane to the point you can't do anything useful.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransAmJo
Anyone have a part # for the 98's (99+ are different) I heard they are only like $25 tops from doing some searching on the site.
Yeah, the 3 wire for the '98 is hard to find.

I thought I could get you the exact part number, but this is what I found from prowling around on gmpartsdirect:

12551708 - this is what I ordered back in July, and I'm pretty sure it's the temp sensor, but there is no description on the order history other than "sensor AS". I ordered a temp sensor and a coolant level sensor at the same time. The other sensor on the order had "radiator" in the part description, so this one must have been the coolant temp sensor.

25037332 - this is what shows up in their online catalog today. But that catalog also lists 2 different parts, one for a gauge car, and one for a "light" car. I'm pretty sure all the '98 cars had gauges. So I'm not so sure about their catalog entry for this.

I was looking for an email or a posting where I originally got the part number, and I haven't found it...
Old 10-11-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just found out how hard they are to find. I just called all the parts stores around and nobody had them for the 98's. One dealership that is like a 2 hour round trip away has 1. I called autozone and they said they had it. I got so pumped up cause someone had it closeby. I then head over there and sure enough its one for the 99's and up. I then tell the guy that his computer system is wrong so he gets the manager who tries to convince me its right when I know it wasnt since it only had the 2 pin connectors and the 98's had 3 pins. The guy was a complete idiot and he was supposed to be the smart one there. I guess he didnt want to think a 22 year old would know more about his car than him or his stupid computer. I just feel bad for anyone that doesnt research it as much as I did then go to the store buy the part, find out its not the right one and then go back to the store and that they dont have/cant get the right one. Looks like I am going to GM parts direct.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

does anyone know which part # it is? I dont want to order the wrong one through gmpartsdirect.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:43 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Give SDPC parts a call ------------->>>>>>
http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?act...tart&catid=873
They are very good to work with!
Old 10-12-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It looks like the sonsor that comes out of the driver side head is for the gauge in the car. would that affect performance in anyway or just make the gauge be wrong?
Old 10-12-2004, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

The three wire sensor feeds the gauge directly, and feeds the pcm directly. A 12v input, one output wire for the gauge, and one output wire for the pcm.

The 2 wire sensor for 99+ feeds only the pcm, and the pcm forwards a signal to the gauge...
Old 10-12-2004, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It looks like it was that sensor. I replaced it (2 hour drive to the only dealer in the area with one cause i didnt want to wait for one to be delivered). It was well worth the drive. the car is running like a champ again. Its just kinda funny that after swapping all that stuff it turned out to be this sensor that took all of 3 minutes to change. I woulda never guessed it was that sensor without the help of u guys. thanks to all.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's good news! Glad you found one and that it took care of the problem.

Quick Reply: what sensor is right next to spark plug on cyl 1