Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cop problems with duals???

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question cop problems with duals???

I am going to get my duals (no cats) on this week. I was just wondering if any of you guys with a true dual setup on your cars, have had any problems with your local police. If so, what happened? Im gonna do it anyway, just gauging what I should expect....Thanks
Old 10-11-2004, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO its all on how you drive and present yourself.

My 00 is pretty loud and far from stealth, even though Im running cats. Even when taking off from a light its hard to keep it quiet otherwise I'll bog.

About a month ago I was on my way home from my friends house. Well I got stuck at a red light and a cop pulls up next to me. All of a sudden the rpms went down to 500rpms nearly stalling the car then shot up to 2000rpms. The cop looked over at me and I just waved. When the light turned green I turned left and the cop just stayed there instead of turning left (He was in the turn lane). He waited until the road was clear and then turned and came the same direction as me. At the next light he was again right next to me but didnt even look at me. When the light changed he turned right and I kept going.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

I have had my duals all summer and not a problem with cops, I have LTs No cats and a Lanes X-Pipe. And I don't like to keep mine quite when I am driving

Dan
Old 10-11-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Had mine on for almost a year now, and I haven't had a single problem with cops. And I have been next to cops at red lights, and been around plenty of them, with no problems.

I have custom duals 2.5" dumped at the axle.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

No cop problems here.. My sweet-thunder setup sounded like a dragster. Actually got complimented by a few cops.. Since most of them here in Hawaii drive their own modded cars. Camaros and Cobras... gotta love em'
Old 10-11-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

havent had any probs with mine either...although i've only had them on for like a week now...when i get around a cop i just chill, take off normal and whatnot, but if im out and no one is around ill bang a couple gears and if there was to a cop within a 2 mile radius of me im sure they would wonder what was going on...but there shouldnt be any probs just driving...
Old 10-11-2004, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Ha whats up jim. This is sam. Sorry i havnt got ahold of you yet to listen to my car. I have been followed by two cops so far and beside a bunch. I think as long sa you dont give them a reason to pull you over they will leave you alone in your car. Especially since your car is lowered they wont see it as weel. I also painted mine black to hide it a bit more.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:47 PM
10 Second Club

I wouldn't be suprised if you did get hassled alittle but you should be ok. Between the sound, smell, and no visible exhaust tips it's pretty much a dead give away for a cop that's enforcing the DOT laws. I haven't had any troubles myself and I do cruise around with open headers/extensions alot too so I don't think that they care.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

I think you'll be fine so long as you don't do anything to draw extra attention to yourself (burnouts, excessive revving on College Ave., etc) and don't catch the eye of a traffic **** (that small percentage of our profession that lives for vehicle code enforcement), but I can't guarantee anything as the State College PD didn't have much of a sense of humor back when I lived in Happy Valley!
Old 10-11-2004, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for all of the input so far guys.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problems here, but really havent had too many cops in position to where they can see the duals.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Had my tsp TD for a few weeks now with no problem and I live in California.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

I talked to someone in the summer at a car show that went to state college. He said that the state college pd pulled him over for reving one day. They must be jerks there.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:22 AM
Teching In

If you don't act like a jackass, cops generally don't mess with you
Old 10-12-2004, 06:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

I dont have TD but I have been harassed by the local PD. They just pull me over and give me a hard time. No tickets....yet.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toadman
I talked to someone in the summer at a car show that went to state college. He said that the state college pd pulled him over for reving one day. They must be jerks there.
not trying to hate, but if he wouldnt have been reving he probably wouldnt have gotten pulled over..imo any cop that is behind/beside you and can hear your cammin,fume emitting,dragster sitting next to them and just turn their cheek is cool.. just dont act like a fool and rev your motor everywhere you go and youll be alright.. that cop was probably not a jerk, but was amazed that he revved his motor up with him in sight..thats just asking for it..
Old 10-12-2004, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nittany_marine
I am going to get my duals (no cats) on this week. I was just wondering if any of you guys with a true dual setup on your cars, have had any problems with your local police. If so, what happened? Im gonna do it anyway, just gauging what I should expect....Thanks
It depends on which mufflers you use.

I have a buddy with TSP Rumbler TD, and his isn't insanely loud even with no cats and LT's. In fact, he doesn't even get any interior resonance for some reason. I think whatever mufflers they use would be a good option if you're wanting to keep the cops attention elsewhere.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:20 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What's up Jim, it's Steve.

If I were you, I'd just get rid of those long tubes and that cam. You'll be just fine... trust me...
Old 10-12-2004, 08:42 AM
11 Second Club

hey Steve.....sounds like a good idea! lol I'll give the parts to you for 10 bucks! lol. Im gonna add you to my friends list. Thanks for all the input guys.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

hey jim!!!! I'ts kinda ironic that i to quite my ride up and you want yours louder!!! LOL I think it gonna be pretty loud with the dynomax bullets...cant wait to hear it...<------LOL