Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I switch my coolant to the green stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 06:46 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Can I switch my coolant to the green stuff?

I pulled my overflow cap to find a bunch of nasty brown sludge on the plastic/rubber stick thingy. So i'm going to flush the system and put some new coolant in.

Do I need to run the orange Dexcool or can I swtich to green once I get it all flushed out?

I've heard the Dexcool starts to crystalize after time, is that true?
Old 10-11-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know Prestone's new coolant works in place of both Green and Dexcool, maybe you should try that. It's available at Autozone for 8.99.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:21 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by LSUxBlake
I know Prestone's new coolant works in place of both Green and Dexcool, maybe you should try that. It's available at Autozone for 8.99.
The guys at Valvoline owe me a favor, so they're going to do it there on their machine. So I guess I'll be going with the Zerex (I think that's the Valvoline brand). They seemed to think you couldn't use the green stuff in aluminum engine... I didn't know why it would matter.

Last edited by DMNSPD; 10-11-2004 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSUxBlake
no one around here has any dexcool. They stocked it a month ago.
I found this stuff and used it on a friends car this weekend when I did his H/C install.

The dexcool had crystalised around the thermostat housing. Looked like candy.

Brad
Old 10-11-2004, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
The guys at Valvoline owe me a favor, so they're going to do it there on their machine. So I guess I'll be going with the Zerex (I think that's the Valvoline brand). They seemed to think you couldn't use the green stuff in aluminum engine... I didn't know why it would matter.

I'm not sure of the proper flushing and filling procedure for our cars, but every japanese aluminum engine i've ever owned in my life worked fine on the green stuff. I don't see why the green stuff would be bad for an LS1, but I didn't engineer the motors either.... $0.02
Old 10-11-2004, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

i have the green stuff in mine, its been in for 5 months, no problems. just as long as u don't mix the 2 you are fine
Old 10-11-2004, 09:23 PM
12 Second Club

The dexcool is supposed to work better with the aluminum and make less of a mess as far as chemical reaction buildups are concerned. I'd bet money that it's really not that big of a deal, I had a Japanese aluminum engine for a while that ran green stuff. Worked great for 120K or so before I sold it and was still running great before the kid that bought it wrecked it.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:01 PM
DSG
10 Second Club

I have ran the green stuff for over 2 1/2 years with no problems at all. My car has a 160 thermostat and the temp never gets over 185degrees.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:03 AM
Banned

I'd get toyota red coolant, green coolant and dexcrap are worthless. Green coolant is ok but it turns acidic within a year. Toyota red coolant is awsome, never have sludging problems with it. Could even try toyota extended long life coolant the pink stuff that is pre mixed.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:23 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I just had a thought... I am planning on selling my car in the spring once prices go back up (I'm attempting self employment - woohoo!) so I think it might just be easier on the next owner if I left the dexcool in there. Oh well.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Can I switch my coolant to the green stuff?