Sponsored by:

LS6 vs LS1

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS6 vs LS1

Hey fellas,

I got this damn LS-1 vert m6 because i wanted a convertible, but i was leaning toward the Z06......I figured i could just mod the vert to smoke a Z

My problem is this.....i got many of the bolt ons now w/ stage 1 gtp heads, 224 cam, LPE long tubes, borla, ls-1 edit. I am making somewhere around 380+ whp and I keep getting walked from a 70 roll by stock and slightly modded Z06's.....i still have the 3.42's

I assume some of this is from weight disadvantage, but mostly from the gearing....any insight.....

I am super frustrated and thinkin' about sellin' the damn thing for a Z.....I know, someone will always be faster.....but what gives?

someone shoot me some advice or info..

-Marko
Old 11-01-2004, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

when you're rolling at 70, what gear are you in and what are your RPM's at? That could be why they're smoking you...
Old 11-01-2004, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

dude you got heads, a camn and bolt ons and you only making about 380 at the wheels wtf

edit: dude i dont have heads or a tune and i am putting down like 360 whp with only a cam intake, exaust work and some minor free mods.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Stage 1 heads are almost like stock heads. Get some real heads, stage 2.5 LS6's.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

have you run your car in the 1/4?

maybe your slight weight disadvantage and the gearing z06s have could have something to do with it but i still think you should be hanging with stock(ish) z06s.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nddragon01
when you're rolling at 70, what gear are you in and what are your RPM's at? That could be why they're smoking you...
when i'm rolling at 70 I drop it into 2nd gear......my second gear is good to about 85 maybe 87/88 at most before the 6600 redline.....

the Z's drop it into 3rd......when i shift to third, they are at their peak hp in 3rd while i'm just starting my 3rd gear.....

I am exaggerating when I said i'm getting smoked....by 150 i was beat by a car length, that was w/ my top down......and i still need to get tuned.....i just figured since i got my headers, i would be ahead by a car instead of behind by a car.....

the Z06 gears are like 3.90's in 1st , 2nd, and 3rd...... that is what is killing me, just wanted to see what y'all thought.....
Old 11-01-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by zamboxl
dude you got heads, a camn and bolt ons and you only making about 380 at the wheels wtf

edit: dude i dont have heads or a tune and i am putting down like 360 whp with only a cam intake, exaust work and some minor free mods.
I haven't dynoed after the headers....i'm being conservative.....

stage 1 heads are like stock.....like was mentioned.....

I just think it is funny how some of you guys think hp on a dyno is a rule??? Knowing that dynos can differ 20 hp from dyno to dyno......different temps, altitude, humidity, etc......

So you have 360 w/ out heads? My setup sucks....thanks for the help.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:14 PM
12 Second Club

if it was tuned then you need GEARING...also...i would say that your 19's all around are doing it as wel..tats all i can think of
Old 11-01-2004, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
have you run your car in the 1/4?

maybe your slight weight disadvantage and the gearing z06s have could have something to do with it but i still think you should be hanging with stock(ish) z06s.
Mid 12's in the 1/4..... I AM hanging w/ the Z's like I mentioned, but not where I would like to be especially from a 70 roll.....

I went out w/ a bunch of Z's two weeks ago and got walked, w/ the headers i did a lot better....I was just hoping to be ahead of the Z's..... I raced a lightly modded Z and we left at 60 and i was ahead, but he was creeping up on me and would have passed me at 100 mph mark if we didn't run into traffic.

i will let y'all know how much power i am making later this week after the dyno tune....

thanks for the help!

-Marko

Last edited by Next Phase; 11-01-2004 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:19 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

stock 02 ls6 will put down 350rwhp and has a curb weight of under 3200lbs.

you have a 380rwhp and a fat *** vert.

do the math.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i thought C5 verts weighed the same as coupes?

i remember reading how GM designed it that way.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You're going to 2nd at 70mph? There's no gear left. Try 3rd next time.

Not to be rude, but it could very well be your driving too. I find that many people who think they are good drivers are quite bad in reality. Are you powershifting?
Old 11-01-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by unit213
You're going to 2nd at 70mph? There's no gear left. Try 3rd next time.

Not to be rude, but it could very well be your driving too. I find that many people who think they are good drivers are quite bad in reality. Are you powershifting?

Agreed. Try third instead at 70+...and LEAVE YOUR DAMN TOP UP IF YOU'RE PLANNING TO RACE!! Convertibles are going to be a lot heavier than the coupes, just because of the support they need without sides or a roof to help with the support. Read any car magazine where they have tests of the convertible model vs. the coupe/standard model. Coupe/standard model is ALWAYS faster.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info....I was just a little frustrated....

Many things that y'all have mentioned, i already know about.....top up, weigh more, shitty driving (maybe, but i have put on 90k miles on vettes in 3 yrs), gearing, etc.....

My weight disadvantage is probably greater than i had estimated, plus i don't weigh 160 lbs.....LOL. Need more power..... Z's weigh 3200 or so and i am probably 2 to 400 lbs more.....

thanks, i feel better..... i need to go on a diet, and my car needs more ponies.....
Old 11-01-2004, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i thought C5 verts weighed the same as coupes?

i remember reading how GM designed it that way.
the verts weigh w/in 100 lbs of the coupes, but the Z06 weighs a couple hundred less than the coupe does.....
Old 11-02-2004, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

sorry bout the last post but you made it sound like you had that much power now, and i saw all the mods you have and naturally i was like wtf, but hey i din't noticed you where a vert thats is a big issue specially at 100 plus you gona get killed with the top down you got any idea what you drag coeficient is gona be with it down, put it up. and for a littel insurance get gears that will help. sorry if i sounded like and *** earlier, dint mean to.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

sorry bout the last post but you made it sound like you had that much power now, and i saw all the mods you have and naturally i was like wtf, but hey i din't noticed you where a vert thats is a big issue specially at 100 plus you gona get killed with the top down you got any idea what you drag coeficient is gona be with it down, put it up. and for a littel insurance get gears that will help. sorry if i sounded like and *** earlier, dint mean to.
No problem bro,

I posted a while back about having 355 w/ stage 1 heads and cam.....got similar questions about why so low hp??? I didn't have the headers and i am still running w/ the LS-1 intake manifold, stock cats and h-pipe..... I also had two broken springs and rocker arm, and i suspect one of the springs was broken during the first tune....

I think w/ it being cooler now I can squeeze 390+ whp and 380/390 tq...conservatively.....

Like I mentioned, i was just frustrated w/ my performance against the Z06.....I have been doing better every time we go out. Maybe next time, w/ my tune I can pull a nose on one....LOL

Thanks y'all for your imput....

-Marko
Old 11-02-2004, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Next Phase
No problem bro,

I posted a while back about having 355 w/ stage 1 heads and cam.....got similar questions about why so low hp??? I didn't have the headers and i am still running w/ the LS-1 intake manifold, stock cats and h-pipe..... I also had two broken springs and rocker arm, and i suspect one of the springs was broken during the first tune....

I think w/ it being cooler now I can squeeze 390+ whp and 380/390 tq...conservatively.....

Like I mentioned, i was just frustrated w/ my performance against the Z06.....I have been doing better every time we go out. Maybe next time, w/ my tune I can pull a nose on one....LOL

Thanks y'all for your imput....

-Marko
o man please don't tell me that you raced with your engine in such a condition o man, or did they break during the tune?? that sucks hoped you told the shop they better fix it. like it was prebiously stated go from third at that speed, second gear is all done already, and deff put your top up man, o and get some gears that will give you enough of an edge along with what you already got. now go kick some ***
Old 11-03-2004, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

o man please don't tell me that you raced with your engine in such a condition o man, or did they break during the tune?? that sucks hoped you told the shop they better fix it. like it was prebiously stated go from third at that speed, second gear is all done already, and deff put your top up man, o and get some gears that will give you enough of an edge along with what you already got. now go kick some ***
Thanks for the info......but i covered all of this earlier in the thread.

No, I did not race w/ a broken spring.... the vette would not run if that were the case. I suspect that one of the broken springs that we found was broken originally before i got the car tuned. We didn't know a second spring was broken until we swapped out the springs......it was broken and sitting very low in the valve spring seat.

I did the work w/ some help from a friend so no shop is gonna fix it....LOL
Old 11-03-2004, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Next Phase
the verts weigh w/in 100 lbs of the coupes, but the Z06 weighs a couple hundred less than the coupe does.....

Shipping weight on a Z06 is 3045 lbs. a coup and a Convertible are going to be within 20 lbs of each other, around 3200 lbs. The Z06 gearbox is geared more agressively than the coup or convertible. So your giving up about 160 lbs. in weight and the gearing gives an advantage to the Z06. As mentioned above the Z will average about 350 rwhp. But you should be putting out more with your mods..get a tune.