Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC Selection.. help me decide!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 05:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question TC Selection.. help me decide!!

I know this topic has been beat to death and I did do a search/read up on many threads However. I guess almost everyone's scenario is a bit different and unique.. so here's what I have in mind

Looking for a TC that:

1) Has great street manners
2) Doesn't feel loose
3) Doesn't affect my MPG too much [one can hope eh! ]

My car is, and shall remain, 99% street and 1% track driven. I'm more into having fun on the streets kinda guy Plus, this is my daily driver too.

I have been eyeing the VIG 3800, but I'm not exactly sure if that'll be the best TC for me. My mods are listed in the sig. The only other mods I will do is a cam and LS6 Intake.

Question A: Please advise on what kinda TC I should go with and what STR.

Question B: Will I need a full dyno-tune or only a basic tune [adjust shift points and delete Torque Management only] ?

Question C: Is there anything else I should be aware of or look into ?

Question D: Is a shift kit necessary ? How would not having one affect the TC's performance or overall driveability ?

Plz help out

Thanks!!..
Old 12-10-2004, 05:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlownGTX
Question A: Please advise on what kinda TC I should go with and what STR.
With what you've stated, looking for a great all around street converter.
I'd suggest a Vig-3200 if you want to stick with Vig.

My personal preference would be for something like a Yank SS-3600.

BTW, the Vig-3800 is comparable with a Yank TP-4400/4600.

Question B: Will I need a full dyno-tune or only a basic tune [adjust shift points and delete Torque Management only] ?
My car didn't "require" a tune. It is helpful to be able to adjust the shift points and rev limiter. If you do get it tuned, setting the part throttle lockup at 35mph and deleting Torque Management are suggested, but Torque Management wasn't as big of an issue with 98 model year cars.

Question C: Is there anything else I should be aware of or look into ?
I suggested riding in or possiblly driving a car with a stall. Most find they aren't as bad as they feared.

If you go with a decent convert also invest in a set of decent tires. A cheap set of 16" take off wheels and 26/10.5 ET Streets would do the job, and make those 1% trips to the track 1000 times more enjoyable.

Question D: Is a shift kit necessary ? How would not having one affect the TC's performance or overall driveability ?
Shift kit is not necessary. Do to quicker shifts, it could improve 60ft and ET times at the track. On the street those quicker shift could equal traction problems .
Old 12-10-2004, 11:40 AM
11 Second Club

Now there is somebody that can give you knowledgeable advice.

If you don't want a "loose" feeling converter you can't go very big. Even my SSF3500 is fairly loose, a Vig3800 would be much, much looser than that. Vig's converters are rated low. I must agree with him on this, Yank SS3600! It supposedly does not drive as loose as other TC's with the same stall speed due to it's different stator design. 21 vs 18 blades if I'm not mistaken It is the one I would have bought, but the SSF was much more affordable. (though I am 100% satisfied with it, the SS3600, it seems, would be tighter in normal drive AND have a higher stall speed)

PS: Oh yeah, highway mileage is the same, and city mileage depends on your right foot. I get virtually the same mileage as before the converter because MY right foot was always down far enough to put me at 2.5k normal driving even without the converter. I don't get good mileage though
Old 12-10-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Talking

Awesome responses guys!! thanks a bunch

I'm going with the VIG 3600 + Basic Tune [shift points adjusted, !torque management and probably lockup at 35mph] so help me LOVE this mod, God!!
Old 12-11-2004, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have the streetfigher 3000 t/c.
heres what i friend said about my converter,
Originally Posted by username

I've driven 4mulas car and his converter is a lot tighter (streetable) than mine. He ran 12.7x's and with his best 60ft being in the 1.8 range, I'm sure the car will see at least a tenth better with some more practice.
the guy above has a vig 3200.
i have the tci3000 with a srt of 2.2 1
Old 12-11-2004, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=blkZ28spt]

If you don't want a "loose" feeling converter you can't go very big. Even my SSF3500 is fairly loose QUOTE]

thats not totally correct. the higher the str the tighter its gonna be.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 4mula
Originally Posted by blkZ28spt

If you don't want a "loose" feeling converter you can't go very big. Even my SSF3500 is fairly loose

thats not totally correct. the higher the str the tighter its gonna be.
Actually, I believe that a higher STR is looser. Do a search on it, and think of it this way. The higher STR multiplies the torque more and hits harder at the stall speed. For it to hit harder at the stall speed it can't really give a lot of "push" below, as it saves it for the stall speed. A lower STR hits softer, so it has more "push" below the stall speed because it is not saving it all for when it hits the stall speed? Does it make any sense put that way??
Old 12-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

I suggest the vigilante with what you are telling me. I lost no MPH with mine somehow and the takeoff is sick. Although I do regret spending $700.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:56 PM
10 Second Club

Sounds like your going with the 3600 vig. Just to let you know, its going to be loose. I have a 3800 vig and love it but its very loose. If you have a loud exaust, get ready for it to get alot louder if you want to keep up with traffic. Its not hard to get used to but from the sounds of your original post, you wanted it to drive pretty close to stock. It is going to drive way different. I didn't like it at first, sometimes I still get anoyed that it sounds like I'm trying to race the minni van next to me, and just barely keeping up. Now I just keep my cutout closed unless I'm going to race. It's still loud but not to bad.
I got the basic tune from ls1speed inc and it made a huge improvement. So I recommend the basic tune but you won't need a full tune until you put a cam in.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:32 AM
TECH Resident

Talking

Originally Posted by rufretic
Sounds like your going with the 3600 vig. Just to let you know, its going to be loose. I have a 3800 vig and love it but its very loose. If you have a loud exaust, get ready for it to get alot louder if you want to keep up with traffic. Its not hard to get used to but from the sounds of your original post, you wanted it to drive pretty close to stock. It is going to drive way different. I didn't like it at first, sometimes I still get anoyed that it sounds like I'm trying to race the minni van next to me, and just barely keeping up. Now I just keep my cutout closed unless I'm going to race. It's still loud but not to bad.
I got the basic tune from ls1speed inc and it made a huge improvement. So I recommend the basic tune but you won't need a full tune until you put a cam in.
you're absolutely right!!

Had the 3600 installed today and got a full tune because my LTs threw the A/F ratio way off.. the car felt really sluggish down low Plus, being over 100K miles and no cam right now or in the next 2-3months, I figured might as well get a full tune and enjoy the car!!

Oh well, I have a loud exhaust [GMMG + LTs get loud] and 0-45 takes forever to get to with normal acceleration and its LOUD!.. I'm kinda liking and not liking it at the same time

I'm just worried it'll attract unwanted [cop] attention to the car [esp with the tints] and it does seem and sound like I'm racing everyone from a stop! lol..

Having said that, if I get a lil pedal happy, the rpm needle just flies accross to almost 4000 rpm.. jolting the car [and me ] and blasts ahead!!

Some guy in a new Pontiac G6 tried to race me from a stop light and I sat there spinning and moving sideways till I let off the gas a bit, hooked and blew by him like he was going in reverse

Well, after spending for LTs [plus install], Convertor [plus install] and Dyno Tune within a month, I am officially broke now .. so TB, LS6 Intake, CAM etc won't be done until March or so.. seriously!!
Old 12-18-2004, 10:04 AM
10 Second Club

Congrats
Yeah I feel ya on the cop attention. I have dark tints on mine too and I'm in Illinois. I kinda like breakin the law but I don't like getting tickets for it I've found the best way to drive now is to just be heavy on the gas. I get up to the speed limit so fast and then I let it lockup and its fine. One more word of advise, your next mods should be suspension and DRs. These torque converters can be dangerous without traction.
Lou