PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 silverado starts and then dies, over and over, please help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 00 silverado starts and then dies, over and over, please help!!!!!

I have been driving my 00 Z-71 daily for two years. I drove it yesterday and everything was fine. I park it in the garage last night and this morning I turn the key, it starts and immediately dies. I try again same thing. Sometimes it will run for about 1 second or maybe 1.5 seconds, but that's it. It did this last spring out of the blue and then suddenly it just started up and has been fine til this morning. Anybody have any ideas what this could be. It won't take gas even when it runs for the split second, it's like it's only got enough fuel to run for a second or so and that's it. Please help, this is my only mode of transportation this time of year.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:08 PM
10 Second Club

Ok, so I give the truck however long it took me to write the above thread and log off the internet. I go back out and it fires right up and is perfect. I've since drove it 50-60 miles, turned the truck off and restarted it 3 or 4 times, and it seems to be back to normal, what gives?!?! I'm glad it's ok now, but just the thought that this could happen at a very inoppurtune time is enough to make me want to get to the bottom of it.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your truck have the VATS system? (Resistor in the key) or could be a PassLock system failing as well. This symptoms are similar. If I put a remote start on a car/truck with these type of systems and I do not put the correct bypass on the harness it will start for a second or so and then cut back off.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by monodax
Does your truck have the VATS system? (Resistor in the key) or could be a PassLock system failing as well. This symptoms are similar. If I put a remote start on a car/truck with these type of systems and I do not put the correct bypass on the harness it will start for a second or so and then cut back off.
I honestly don't know if it does or not. It does have the security light that comes on in the message center when you lock the doors. It is an LT, and has every option except for onstar, if that helps any. I was under the impression that the key does have a chip in it, and if you tried using one without the truck wouldn't start. I have a buddy that has installed many remote starts and security systems on these trucks including his. Viper is the brand name. Is it possible he could bypass something for me to prevent this from happening again? Or is there anything GM could scan for me to determine the problem? I drove it again today with no problems, but I'd hate to hop in it in an emergency or just wanting to go somewhere and it start acting up again. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

I did a quick search on your year/model and did come up with many articles mentioning problems with the Passlock system on your truck.

Here are a few of the links:
http://www.chevytalk.org/threads/sho...?Number=465146

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t166369.html

I would not say this is 100% your problem but it is something you can look into none the less. I would search for the TSB's or post on the forums that are specific for your truck and you will probably find more than enough info to get you in the right direction.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by monodax
I did a quick search on your year/model and did come up with many articles mentioning problems with the Passlock system on your truck.

Here are a few of the links:
http://www.chevytalk.org/threads/sho...?Number=465146

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t166369.html

I would not say this is 100% your problem but it is something you can look into none the less. I would search for the TSB's or post on the forums that are specific for your truck and you will probably find more than enough info to get you in the right direction.
Thanks for your help.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:11 PM
wrencher

The VATS system is common on C/K trucks, a little different system though. The security light in the dash is it on? If this happens (on a truck) try disconnecting the battery for a few & then re-trying it. if it fires it needs to be diagnosed. The lock cylinders are common to fail in these systems.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wrencher
The VATS system is common on C/K trucks, a little different system though. The security light in the dash is it on? If this happens (on a truck) try disconnecting the battery for a few & then re-trying it. if it fires it needs to be diagnosed. The lock cylinders are common to fail in these systems.
No, it wasn't on at the time this was happening, but it had came on before while just driving down the road and wouldn't go off until I turned off the truck. I had a thread going about that not too long ago.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Is your truck making a differnt sound from the fuel tank at all ? if once and a while it sounds strange , thats the fuel pump going . Our trucks are known to have fuel pumps that die . My 2000 Gmc serria is on its way out too .Look at the fuel pump .
Old 01-01-2005, 07:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MR1911
Is your truck making a differnt sound from the fuel tank at all ? if once and a while it sounds strange , thats the fuel pump going . Our trucks are known to have fuel pumps that die . My 2000 Gmc serria is on its way out too .Look at the fuel pump .
No, it doesn't do that. My buddy that had a 99 silverado said his did the same thing (fire right up and then die) and he had to have it towed to the GM dealership. He said it's some module that goes out, WTF!!! He said it cost like $600!!!!! I told him how a month ago or so that the security light would randomly come on in the message center until I turned the truck off. He said yep, that's it. This really sucks, I don't feel like spending that kind of $$$ on BS!! I guess that's life though. I know I'm taking a chance on getting stranded, but I'm not gonna buy a new one til it's completely fried. Cause it did this 1 time almost a year ago, then the one in this post. It's been fine the rest of the time so maybe I have a while til it goes.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Did anyone every come up with a actuall solution to this problem? i have the same problem with my 99 1500 silverado LS.

iv replaced the fuel pump twice. did nothing

replaced the pressure regulator once. fixed the problem for about a year. then it started doing the same exact thing.

iv had multipul shops look at it and they cant tell me anything unless it acts up while its in the shop, which of cours it hasnt?

any solutions that actually work???
Old 04-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Teching In

anyone??
Old 06-21-2011, 12:21 AM
10 Second Club

I still have the same truck, and its done this only one more time since way back when this thread was started. That was last winter. IDK what the deal is.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
I still have the same truck, and its done this only one more time since way back when this thread was started. That was last winter. IDK what the deal is.
Its your passlock sensor. Its the housing that your ignition cylinder slides into. Its a common problem on trucks & some GM cars. What happens is the passlock sensor creates a certain voltage reading under 5 volts & the PCM has to learn that voltage or it will start & stall until it does. The passlock sensor voltage reading has changed & you can relearn it to the PCM & you can start the truck again. To relearn, turn the ignition key to the on position for 3 10 minute cycles, turning the key to the off position for 5 seconds after each 10 minute learn. It will start but you may have this problem again & will get tired of having this happen & will need a new passlock sensor eventually.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

How about: When finding the truck doing it's "on/off" deal, you hook up a fuel psi gauge?? That may just be enough info to eliminate/condemn the pump vs the VATS.

Aftermarket pump assys may work, may last for a week, may last for the remaining life of the vehicle. My parts guy won't sell them, as he got tired of the bs involved in returns. He sends the customer to the stealership.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:20 AM

Default 2000 Chevy K3500 454 starts and immediately stops

Hi.

I stumbled across this thread while searching for a solution to my problem. I have a 2000 Chevy K3500. 1999 body style with a 454 engine and 254,000 miles. Ran great with no issues until one day, I turned the key to start it and it fired right up and immediately shut back off. Fires up on the first rotation of the motor every time, but then dies. Fuel pump and fuel tank were replaced a year and a half ago and you can hear the pump running like it should (3 year warranty on pump and tank). Just replace the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel filter. Same issue. Borrowed the coil and ignition module from my daughter's truck to test that and same thing (of course I put her parts back in her truck and verified it still runs right. lol) . No security light. No chip in the key. Any ideas?! I'm out of ideas and about ready to set it on fire. lol

Last edited by Wiyanna; 05-23-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll give it a shot. Worked on a Suburban (1999 model) for a while, gave up and parked it. Swapped every sensor,bypassed the Vats, etc. Replaced the fuel pump, yadda yadda... Decided after a couple of years to try it again, Swapped all of the above part by part to a running truck, all worked on it, no go on the 'burb. Replaced ignition switch and the harness for it, replaced and reflashed the ECM, same result, start and die. After looking at the prints for it, the ONLY thing left I hadn't replaced was the instrument cluster. Swapped it out and it fired right up...
Old 05-24-2016, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by mytmouz
I'll give it a shot. Worked on a Suburban (1999 model) for a while, gave up and parked it. Swapped every sensor,bypassed the Vats, etc. Replaced the fuel pump, yadda yadda... Decided after a couple of years to try it again, Swapped all of the above part by part to a running truck, all worked on it, no go on the 'burb. Replaced ignition switch and the harness for it, replaced and reflashed the ECM, same result, start and die. After looking at the prints for it, the ONLY thing left I hadn't replaced was the instrument cluster. Swapped it out and it fired right up...
Wow! The instrument cluster?!? I guess that is kind a common ground item, isn't it. I will have to try that! THANK YOU!

I doubt my daughter will let me borrow hers though. lol

Again...Wow and THANK YOU! I hope it works!
Old 06-01-2016, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Wiyanna
Hi.

I stumbled across this thread while searching for a solution to my problem. I have a 2000 Chevy K3500. 1999 body style with a 454 engine and 254,000 miles. Ran great with no issues until one day, I turned the key to start it and it fired right up and immediately shut back off. Fires up on the first rotation of the motor every time, but then dies. Fuel pump and fuel tank were replaced a year and a half ago and you can hear the pump running like it should (3 year warranty on pump and tank). Just replace the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel filter. Same issue. Borrowed the coil and ignition module from my daughter's truck to test that and same thing (of course I put her parts back in her truck and verified it still runs right. lol) . No security light. No chip in the key. Any ideas?! I'm out of ideas and about ready to set it on fire. lol

I have a 2000 C3500 (350 vortec) with only 46k on the clock (I bought it new) it sits a lot and I store it during the winter. this year when I put the battery in it would only run for 2 seconds. IDK if I have any factory security system on it. FWIW nobody knows that it is the same as a 1998 pre LS motor truck. they didn't upgrade anything on the heavy trucks till the Duramax came out in 01.
I will check if I have a security light or not but I doubt it.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:22 AM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiyanna
Wow! The instrument cluster?!? I guess that is kind a common ground item, isn't it. I will have to try that! THANK YOU!

I doubt my daughter will let me borrow hers though. lol

Again...Wow and THANK YOU! I hope it works!
Don't bother swapping the cluster, just unplug yours. If the cluster is causing the issue, most likely it is making excessive noise on the class 2 data buss, preventing the bcm from telling the pcm that it has a valid key signal. The truck will run without a cluster in it. I've never run in to this but have run in to noisey devices on the buss that prevented flashing the pcm through the obd2 port.

Quick Reply: 00 silverado starts and then dies, over and over, please help!!!!!