Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Liability Question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Liability Question...

I'm still fairly new to the strip, so here's my question: If/when someone is racing down the 1320, hits fluid from a previous car, spins and crashes , is the track held liable? I know you sign that waiver and all, but...

Aren't the track officials supposed to do everything within reason to assure the safety of it's customers? Like placing spotters down the strip who are trained to look out for spills and debris. Also, I would imagine lighting would be crucial to spot these potential hazards.

The track I race at is pretty dark down the straightaway. I hate to talk about such a grim subject, but when you preach "take it to the track," it's because you want to take the safer environment for racing.

Please enlighten me...
Old 01-12-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they assume no responsiblilty for you wrecking. they try hard to keep it clean but you can't always be perfect. they could hire more people but that would jack the price to get in even higher
Old 01-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exactly why i never get mad at how long they take to clean up a mess..i never bitch at track employees..now if i can get my hands on the moron that dumped the mess on the track that's a different story. i hate when people bring these ******* hoopties that aren't put together right and drop stuff everywhere.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:07 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
..now if i can get my hands on the moron that dumped the mess on the track that's a different story. i hate when people bring these ******* hoopties that aren't put together right and drop stuff everywhere.
or worse.......idiots who don't know any better and slow to a stop right in the center of the lane when something blows up! just coast to a stop and make and 1/8 mile oil/trans/rearend/coolant/etc. cleanup. stupid! no common sense.

Dave
Old 01-13-2005, 07:28 AM
11 Second Club

The reason why I posted this is because I have seen few wipe out videos recently (BAD ONES) all due to a slick on the strip.

We all preach "take it to the track" when the track itself has got hazards of it's own.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

But the track also has an ambulance right there if something goes wrong...
Old 01-13-2005, 07:40 AM
11 Second Club

This is true...
Old 01-13-2005, 07:44 AM
7 Second Club

No matter how you look at it the track is safer than street racing.I would rather concern myself with the occasional mess at the track than a half-blind 80 yr old pulling out in front of me at 140 mph.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:02 AM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Racers assume all risks going down the track, so I have purchased race car insurance from Lloyds, which covers all damage to my car, but does not cover liability. The guy in the other lane is racing at his own risk.

Accidents and bodily injury in the pits are a different matter and may be covered by the track. All racers and spectators essentially recognize the risks and waive liability. But remember, in most states, no track or person can avoid damages resulting from their negligence.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bickelfirebird
Racers assume all risks going down the track, so I have purchased race car insurance from Lloyds, which covers all damage to my car, but does not cover liability. The guy in the other lane is racing at his own risk.

Accidents and bodily injury in the pits are a different matter and may be covered by the track. All racers and spectators essentially recognize the risks and waive liability. But remember, in most states, no track or person can avoid damages resulting from their negligence.
you have the SS under it also? if so, whats a rough guess on what i'd be spending for the insurance? that would make me feel 20 times better about going to the track
Old 01-13-2005, 08:49 AM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

No, my '99 does not have racing insurance, but my previous SS did. I don't recall the exact amount but you can call AO Underwriters for a quote. I thinking $1000/year only for racing coverage.

The guy who built my current motor wrecked his B/A Grand Am at the Mile High nationals and lost $100,000, so I am a believer in racing insurance.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

Very interesting bickelfirebird. I think I may look into the racing insurance. Ive been in far too many close calls not to have it.

Question for you if you don't mind. If any kind of damage or wreck was cause by the other driver would that also be covered under the insurance?

Just and example, I was at the track a couple years ago and a careless driver forgot to put in all four hood pins. Right at the 1000' mark his hood flew off. Fortunately I was able to see see the hood flopping around out of the corner of my eye just before it let go. I was able to get on the breaks just in time and it missed my windshield by a hair. It actually did scratch one of the T-tops.

If this hood went through my windshield, or even worse went through and knocked me out cold, would my car and I be covered, or is the coverage just for the car?
Old 01-13-2005, 11:39 AM
11 Second Club

I too am interested in getting "racing insurance." Bickel, any numbers or links you can provide us? And I assume that this supplemental insurance company won't inform your primary carrier that you are racing the car. I hope not anyway.

$1000 is cheap for piece of mind. A part of me still wants to believe that the track has to be prudent about preventing mishaps. What if there are NO spotters past the 1000' mark on the strip? That to me is negligence.

Paying a couple spotters $10 bucks an hour for 5 hours (for example) shouldn't break the track's bank or escalate the admission fees.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.aounderwriters.com/ Just go there and click on race car at the top and u can get a quote from them
Old 01-13-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

also, if we go in and look for a quote or even get the insurance, are we going to be blackballed by our current insurance company? to them, my car is a weekend cruiser for a 57 yr old grandmother of 1 and i drive a 95 buick century while she drives the 01 GS... wanna keep it that way. can her name be on the racing insurance instead as she wants to take it down the track but i'm the primary racer. will it cover if i'm driving and she's the only one on the insurance plan is what i'm asking
Old 01-13-2005, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ramairstyle00
also, if we go in and look for a quote or even get the insurance, are we going to be blackballed by our current insurance company? to them, my car is a weekend cruiser for a 57 yr old grandmother of 1 and i drive a 95 buick century while she drives the 01 GS... wanna keep it that way. can her name be on the racing insurance instead as she wants to take it down the track but i'm the primary racer. will it cover if i'm driving and she's the only one on the insurance plan is what i'm asking

Funny. I was honest with my policy, rec use only and I only drive it 2k a year. (98 Z28 - 12,000 miles)

But I had the same concern:

Originally Posted by 1ScrudeDude
I too am interested in getting "racing insurance." Bickel, any numbers or links you can provide us? And I assume that this supplemental insurance company won't inform your primary carrier that you are racing the car. I hope not anyway...
I hit that link (thanks WhtLT1) to get a quote, and it says it covers sanctioned events. What about test-n-tune nights?
Old 01-13-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1ScrudeDude

Funny. I was honest with my policy, rec use only and I only drive it 2k a year. (98 Z28 - 12,000 miles)

But I had the same concern:

I hit that link (thanks WhtLT1) to get a quote, and it says it covers sanctioned events. What about test-n-tune nights?

it really hasn't been driven since August
Old 01-13-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok so I was just wondering about this and got a quote from them. In the email sent it said "The racing option is valid at all NHRA, IHRA and Good Guys sanctioned events and tracks" Which to me reads that as long as the track is a IHRA/NHRA track your covered correct? That's directly copied from the email too.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

how much are they looking for?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

hmmmm, i may want some of this coverage here soon also, id hate to break loose the back end at 100 shifting and kiss a sidewall.