Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASP Pulleys...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 03:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ASP Pulleys...

Hey guys...i've got both the ASP crank and alternator pulleys

I love them, EXCEPT what the aternatore pulley does
At idle it runs the alt/ so slow that eveyrthing dims out and my volts drop (i have a brand new red top)

Anyone else having this problem?

Also, anyone know the # for the belt i'd need to swap back to my stock alt. pulley?
Meaning belt # for just the ASP crank pulley

Thanks
Old 01-16-2005, 06:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dont have a pulley myself but i believe you problem is that the a4 cant run the alt pulley. so once you take that off it should be fine.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:08 AM
10 Second Club

Very common problem with the A4s. I've had the same problem for along time and it has never created any real issues.

Belt # for ASP crank and stock Alt.
Gates: K060760
Old 01-16-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, back to the stock alt. pulley for you. The belt you got still might work, as long as it's tight enough ofcourse.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool deal....thanks alot guys!

Do you think those gates belts are readily available or cross-referencable at a parts store like pepboys, napa or something?

Thanks again
Old 01-16-2005, 04:11 PM
10 Second Club

Alot of parts stores around here have Gates but if they don't they should be able to cross referance and get you another brand. I forget the exact break down of the numbers but many good parts guys know the exact size by looking at the number.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

STOP! Unless they are making pulley's I did not know about the ASP alternator pulley is 15% underdriven. If you put the stock size pulley on, it will make the altenator 25% undedriven, making your problem worse!! This is true if your stock pully is smaller than the ASP.
I have the same problem with my alt, but it is just a characteristic.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cstick
STOP! Unless they are making pulley's I did not know about the ASP alternator pulley is 15% underdriven. If you put the stock size pulley on, it will make the altenator 25% undedriven, making your problem worse!! This is true if your stock pully is smaller than the ASP.
I have the same problem with my alt, but it is just a characteristic.

I think you may have it mixed up...
The ASP alt/ pulley is BIGGER then stock
So...with the ASP crank pulley it should actually be spinning FASTER then stock since the asp crank is smaller then stock

Here's info from the ASP site...form what i read it says with the crank pulley you're at full charge at 800 RPM and with the crank + alt. you're full at 950 RPM

-98-02 LS1 350 25% Harmonic Dampner Crank
800 RPM(full charge)

-98-02 LS1 350 25% Harmonic Dampner Crank 15% Alternator
950 RPM(ful charge)

I sure hope he has this mixed up...anyone else know???
Old 01-18-2005, 10:41 AM
11 Second Club

a4s dont run that great with both the crank and alternator pulley..but i guess you already found that out.. ... swap that back to the stock alternator pulley.. i believe the belt is a 51" belt.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

You just reworded what I said, and said I am mixed up. The ASP alt pulley is larger diameter than stock.
With the ASP alt pulley the alt spins faster than it would with just the crank pulley and stock alt pulley! If he puts the stock pulley back on the charging will be worse. Think about the planets- Sun being the crank, Earth being the stock pulley, and like Saturn being the ASP alt pulley. Now if both planets were going to go around the sun/crank at the same time the larger diameter circle has to go faster to keep up (saturn/asp alt).

The ASP crank pulley is smaller diameter than stock- smaller is slower (more HP). Underdrive crank and all other stock pulleys is max power turning all loads slower. The ASP pulley takes away 10% of the underdrive affect from the crank pulley. The alt is 15% underiven from normal, and everything else is 25% underiven with the crank pulley.

Originally Posted by cobrakillerta
I think you may have it mixed up...
The ASP alt/ pulley is BIGGER then stock
So...with the ASP crank pulley it should actually be spinning FASTER then stock since the asp crank is smaller then stock

Here's info from the ASP site...form what i read it says with the crank pulley you're at full charge at 800 RPM and with the crank + alt. you're full at 950 RPM

-98-02 LS1 350 25% Harmonic Dampner Crank
800 RPM(full charge)

-98-02 LS1 350 25% Harmonic Dampner Crank 15% Alternator
950 RPM(ful charge)

I sure hope he has this mixed up...anyone else know???
Old 01-19-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

Now I am confused after looking at the asp site. I think I was explained things wrong when I bought mine. Sorry guys/gals, I am going to pull my foot out of my mouth. I guess with the 25% crank, add the alt 15% to the total undrive.

Last edited by Cstick; 01-19-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:53 PM
7 Second Club

it all depends.... he could have the over drive alt. or he could have the underdrive pulley... but my guess is that he has the under drive since he has a hard time recharging.

i just have the crank pulley on my A4 and everything is dandy... im guessing you bought the underdrive alt. pulley... you can turn your idle up or put the stock one back on.

the underdrive crank is smaller than stock
the underdrive alt. is larger than stock ( almost positive thats how it goes )

Tyler
Old 01-19-2005, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you are talking about the crank pulley, underdriving is going smaller. When talking about an accessory, like an alternator, underdriving is going larger. I have been using the stock alternator pulley with the ASP Crank Pulley for 4 years and have had no issues with charging.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:04 AM
MASS seller approved

If you are having problems, ASP also sells an alt OVERDRIVE pulley which would be a pulley that is smaller than stock to make the alt spin faster and therefore charge it up faster.

We have a couple instock if you are interested.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:17 AM
12 Second Club

Smaller = Faster = harder for engine to spin

Larger = Slower = Engine revs happy!

putting the stock alt. pulley back on causes the alt. to spin faster(creating more voltage), because it is smaller.

I think you were thinking too hard with the planet thing...you totally lost me
Old 01-20-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

The number break down like this: Gates: K060760= K06, 6 rib belt, 0760 legnth of the belt in mm. Basically all you look for is the k6 or k06 for a 6 rib belt and then you can minipulate the legnth to the right size. I learned this from a guy at Autozone as I was trying to get the right size for a short belt. (no PWR Str.) The short belt size for me was 522K6 (Kelly-Springfield brand).
Old 01-20-2005, 01:18 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by NateLS1
Smaller = Faster = harder for engine to spin

Larger = Slower = Engine revs happy!

putting the stock alt. pulley back on causes the alt. to spin faster(creating more voltage), because it is smaller.

I think you were thinking too hard with the planet thing...you totally lost me
your half right on this.think of it this way. when you where a kid riding a 18speed mountain bike.the crank has gears on it big ,medium, and small.this is your engine[crank pulley].now the back of the bike has more gears on it[aka your ascessories]ranging in sizes.now if if you put your crank gear[engine] on the smallest gear and your rear gear [ascessories]on the biggest gear.this makes it easiest to pedal[rev engine]your bike.now on the other hand change your crank gear[engine]to the biggest and your rear gear[ascessories] to the smallest and youll have one hell of a time pedaling[rev motor]. what he needs to is go to a smaller pulley than stock on the alt. to get back to the original setup on the alt.
or like this
engine pully smaller=less drag more power
bigger=more drag less power
ascessories smaller=more drag less power[spins faster]
bigger=less drag more power[spins slower]
Old 01-20-2005, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cobrakillerta
Hey guys...i've got both the ASP crank and alternator pulleys

I love them, EXCEPT what the aternatore pulley does
At idle it runs the alt/ so slow that eveyrthing dims out and my volts drop (i have a brand new red top)

Anyone else having this problem?

Also, anyone know the # for the belt i'd need to swap back to my stock alt. pulley?
Meaning belt # for just the ASP crank pulley

Thanks

Let me know if you want to sell your ASP Alternator Pulley
Old 01-20-2005, 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

get the overdrive pulley. fixed all the charging issues i was having
Old 01-20-2005, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by smokeum99ta
your half right on this.think of it this way. when you where a kid riding a 18speed mountain bike.the crank has gears on it big ,medium, and small.this is your engine[crank pulley].now the back of the bike has more gears on it[aka your ascessories]ranging in sizes.now if if you put your crank gear[engine] on the smallest gear and your rear gear [ascessories]on the biggest gear.this makes it easiest to pedal[rev engine]your bike.now on the other hand change your crank gear[engine]to the biggest and your rear gear[ascessories] to the smallest and youll have one hell of a time pedaling[rev motor]. what he needs to is go to a smaller pulley than stock on the alt. to get back to the original setup on the alt.
or like this
engine pully smaller=less drag more power
bigger=more drag less power
ascessories smaller=more drag less power[spins faster]
bigger=less drag more power[spins slower]

I was referring to the accessory pullies, not the crank pulley.

I never rode 18 speeds LOL. BMX baby! But I totally understand you anyways.