PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

about to order hptuners, a few ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default about to order hptuners, a few ???

I am going to order the VCM suite for my 04 5.3L and my T/A. can you tune the AFR with hptuners. because my T/A is running like crap after the header/ORY install. also, can you monitor it with out a Enhanced IO or whatever... just with the normal stuff that comes with the suite.

do any of you have any suggestions on what to change in hptuners for headers/ORY/MagnaFlow CB on a trans am????? I need to turn off the EGR, AIR, and rear O2 codes as well.

thanks
Old 03-01-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can still tune part throttle AFR with the stock Narrowband O2 sensors... however WOT AFR tuning isn't very accurate w/the wideband (generally safe to tune too rich than try to go borderline lean)

The EIO interface is required if you want external inputs (such as a wideband O2 ) or outputs (such as controlling a nitrous system w/out needing the RPM switch, TPS switch, etc...)

The normal HPT cable will still let you scan and tune the car (sans the input/output wiring)
Old 03-01-2005, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seadoo
I am going to order the VCM suite for my 04 5.3L and my T/A. can you tune the AFR with hptuners. because my T/A is running like crap after the header/ORY install. also, can you monitor it with out a Enhanced IO or whatever... just with the normal stuff that comes with the suite.

do any of you have any suggestions on what to change in hptuners for headers/ORY/MagnaFlow CB on a trans am????? I need to turn off the EGR, AIR, and rear O2 codes as well.

thanks
Did you run O2 sims? I want to put my headers on, but I'm not sure if I should before I buy HPTuners to be able to delete the rear O2's. Will it set off a code deleting them and cats? Is it safe to run without fixing the codes/deleting O2's for awhile, or should I wait? Thanks!
Old 03-01-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

you can run w/codes for the Rear O2s as long as you want... doesn't affect performance (just make 100% sure your front O2s are operating/hooked up right... and make sure the wires are very clear of the headers)
Old 03-01-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

no I dont have sims, I have a light for EGR, AIR, and rear O2's.... okay, so I would need the EIO cable... how much is the wideband O2? and what inputs are you talking about... I run my nitrous off a button.. this sounds inresting? please inform me... im new to the computer tuning world, used to wrenches...

thanks everyone
Old 03-01-2005, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most widebands are $300-$500, but if you are only using it on this car with HPTuners, the new Innovate LC-1 looks promising, and it's a lot cheaper.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by seadoo
no I dont have sims, I have a light for EGR, AIR, and rear O2's.... okay, so I would need the EIO cable... how much is the wideband O2? and what inputs are you talking about... I run my nitrous off a button.. this sounds inresting? please inform me... im new to the computer tuning world, used to wrenches...

thanks everyone

I just gave that as an example since I saw N20 in your sig...

basically w/the EIO cable you get:
4 inputs
2 outputs

the 4 inputs allow 0-5 volt (or any voltage less than 5) sensors to be logged... example external Wideband O2, EGT Sensor, Fuel pressure... etc... (so you can log this w/the rest of your data for diagnostic/tuning purposes)

The 2 outputs run off of the scanner... Anything you can log you can have trigger an external circuit (usualy you have it trigger a relay, the output is to ground)

Examples of this use:
You have a wideband and are running nitrous, install an interrupt circuit in your nitrous system so that it will only activate if your AFR is between 12.0:1 and 12.8:1

Or if you want a circuit to be activated only between certain RPMs (such as nitrous) you can configure the scanner to activate a circuit between these RPMs

Basically ... w/a little electrical know how, you can design a cicruit to turn on (or even off) based on any parameter the PCM logs or you externally input
Old 03-03-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

thanks....