Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

F-18 ridealong

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-18 ridealong

this may be a repost, but i did a quick search and didn't see anything like it. Pretty cool, from carrier takee-off, maneuvers, and then landing along with a good song

http://www.bofunk.com/video/1141/f-18_ride.html

A post for all the pilots and future pilots. I hope to be one in the few years. I have always wondered if pilots dreamt of being pilots their whole lives or if they made a sudden choice some point in their life. I have always dreamed I would be a pilot. Anyone else feel the same way?
Old 03-07-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretty badass
Old 03-07-2005, 09:24 PM
9 Second Club

cool **** man...
Old 03-07-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Was my dream in childhood, but god "blessed" me with near sightness.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one of the best reposts ever......lol. actually i really mean that.

Dave
Old 03-07-2005, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by THECowboy
this may be a repost, but i did a quick search and didn't see anything like it. Pretty cool, from carrier takee-off, maneuvers, and then landing along with a good song

http://www.bofunk.com/video/1141/f-18_ride.html

A post for all the pilots and future pilots. I hope to be one in the few years. I have always wondered if pilots dreamt of being pilots their whole lives or if they made a sudden choice some point in their life. I have always dreamed I would be a pilot. Anyone else feel the same way?

badass video. i decided to be a pilot at 16 when i first got to fly with my freinds dad. bein flying for 4 years now and love every min. of it. Nothing like it.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:26 AM
NKAWTG...N

Only thing I've ever wanted to do in life. In AFROTC Det 190 at University of Illinois. But I have allergies so I will probably get d/qed from a pilot slot. I'm trying to see if I can be an Army helo pilot with allergies but looks like I'm gonna have to stick civilian.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:53 AM
TECH Resident

Those things are so badass
Old 03-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the great vid
Old 03-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Teching In

I couldn't be a pilot because of my eye sight so I did the next best thing...I bought an LS1!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Det 157 AFROTC here I'll find out by the end of the month if I got accepted to Undergraduate Pilot Training. Definately the coolest job you could ever have.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

I would give out my Camaro for a Toyota Tercel or some POS for a flying spot.

You guys in the ROTC, any tips for me? I will soon be transferring to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and i was trying to get some info on what I should do to give the best shot at getting a pilot slot.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:34 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by THECowboy
I would give out my Camaro for a Toyota Tercel or some POS for a flying spot.

You guys in the ROTC, any tips for me? I will soon be transferring to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and i was trying to get some info on what I should do to give the best shot at getting a pilot slot.
Start running. To be competitive you want a GPA of 3.5 or better and a PFT (personal fitness test) score of 93ish or better. Then theres your AFOQT and just do decent on that. It really comes down to your cadre's recommendation of you, thats worth about 50%.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE=THECowboyYou guys in the ROTC, any tips for me? I will soon be transferring to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and i was trying to get some info on what I should do to give the best shot at getting a pilot slot.[/QUOTE]

I have some advice dont go to embry riddle unless you want to spend way to much money and take a year or two to get your lic. you would be much better off going to another college and go to a local airport and taking leasons.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:57 PM
NKAWTG...N

also embry riddle has a horrible guy to girl ratio if you catch my drift. there are other schools out there with equal or better programs. UIUC is great, I have a buddy whos having a great time at Ohio, another buddy at SIU (but I don't recommend that one). I know UIUC and SIU have AFROTCs, not sure about Ohio but I imagine they probably would.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast
Was my dream in childhood, but god "blessed" me with near sightness.
Me too!
Old 03-08-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stoleit
also embry riddle has a horrible guy to girl ratio if you catch my drift. there are other schools out there with equal or better programs. UIUC is great, I have a buddy whos having a great time at Ohio, another buddy at SIU (but I don't recommend that one). I know UIUC and SIU have AFROTCs, not sure about Ohio but I imagine they probably would.
Huh, didn't even look into UIUC, my dad would love it since he is Univ of Michigan fan!

Looks like a good program and something i will definatly consider. I will have to get in contact with the administration there for details and info
Old 03-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

I suppose that if you were a pilot in one of those things, no matter what car you drive or what you've done to it, it's gonna seem slow after that. Wonder do the pilots carry out a few tweaks to make theirs faster than the others?

Race? First one to the big cloud up ahead wins!
Old 03-08-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, to clear up some things, I'm a student at Embry-Riddle (Daytona) too. Det 157 is our unit The guy/girl ratio is bad, but its getting better. Right now its 17% girls. Yes, it sucks. But I'm not here for the school, I'm here for the AFROTC unit. The school has its good and bad just like any other university. Yes, it took me a year to get my Private Pilot's license, but I took my time. Same for instrument. I'm working on Commercial right now. But price wise, I didn't spend alot compared to some others that went here. I've only got ~130ish flight hours. The AFROTC Det here is the best in the nation, hands-down. We won the best det award so many times that we weren't allowed to participate anymore. We were the largest det in the nation when I started, nearly 600 cadets, but we're down to just under 400 now.

Yes, start running/pushups/situps. PFT is huge, and the better you are early, the easier life will be for you. Goto the gym. Study. It takes alot of different traits to be competitive.

Embry-Riddle has its downsides...but if I had to do it all again...I'd still be right here, wearing my BDU's and a month away from possibly becoming a USAF pilot.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, you ROTC guys find out late. I've had my pilot slot for over a month now Unleashedbeast, my buddy's eyes were pretty bad but he got PRK and now he's going to pilot training too. Cowboy, I've pretty much wanted to be a pilot since my dad got me a ride in a T-38 simulator in 6th grade.