Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Dynatech Supermaxx Headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Installed Dynatech Supermaxx Headers

The Supermaxx headers and catted y-pipe fit great! I previously had a cheaper brand and there is just no comparison. The SS headers are a bit heavier. They went in with no hassles, other than removing the oil filter for the drviers side.
The cats bolted up nicely (no leaks) and the y-pipe fit together like a glove. The band clamps they provided for the y-pipe were of good qaulity and seem to provide a very snug fit. I like the fact that the pipes are not all bent up from u-bolt style clamps. It would have been nice to have the i-pipe clamp included in the kit. NAPA had what I needed for a clean install though.
I did need to adjust the heat sheild a slight bit on the passenger side. This was noted in the installation instructions though. By the way they had a very nice write up with pics. I also removed one of the mounts on my trans crossmember for more clearance. I really dont think this was needed, however, I was not taking any chances on the y-pipe banging. I trimmed it a bit and then painted.
The y-pipe is only 2.5" compared to my previous 3" ORY. I could not really tell any seat of the pants perfromance loss. I did notice that with the cats and rear O2's working my idle was much better. Maybe I am just dreaming on this and I should give it a few more days to say for sure. The sound is much better through the cats and Hooker Catback. I personally like to hear it but not be so loud it is anoying. The tone is much, much better inside the car now.
I also have a Sphon adjustable torque arm and had no clearance issues with the y-pipe.
I thought I would post my results and thoughts on the Supermaxx headers and y-pipe. I could not find much info on them searching before I made the purchase. Oh yeah and a big thanks to Speed Inc. for the great service and pricing.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

So are these coated or bare stainless? I assume the ground clearance is better compared to your old setup? What was your old setup? Are you going to get us some pictures soon?
Old 03-09-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

dude, same here!!!! had them dropped in yesterday....

the headers went in smooth and the instruction sheet is nice right? very detailed with nice color pics showing up EXACTLY how it should look. I also had to BFH the passenger heat shield a bit (no more than quarter of an inch) but overall, only the oil filter came off...the y-pipe was also not a problem like some of the issues i've read about other y-pipes..clearance is nice to....

the supermaxx are all stainless (t-304, i think) and look sweet when they heat up!!!

cant say anything negative about the headers.....just that they are worth the money, very well though out package!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Great headers with great fitment and ground clearance. I love mine.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
So are these coated or bare stainless? I assume the ground clearance is better compared to your old setup? What was your old setup? Are you going to get us some pictures soon?
They are bare stainless. The ground clearance is much better also. I did have Pacesetters on the car and they began rusting and one if the air tubes broke off after being on the car 14 months. I will try and get some pics this weekend.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Technoman64
The Supermaxx headers and catted y-pipe fit great! I previously had a cheaper brand and there is just no comparison. The SS headers are a bit heavier. They went in with no hassles, other than removing the oil filter for the drviers side.
The cats bolted up nicely (no leaks) and the y-pipe fit together like a glove. The band clamps they provided for the y-pipe were of good qaulity and seem to provide a very snug fit. I like the fact that the pipes are not all bent up from u-bolt style clamps. It would have been nice to have the i-pipe clamp included in the kit. NAPA had what I needed for a clean install though.
I did need to adjust the heat sheild a slight bit on the passenger side. This was noted in the installation instructions though. By the way they had a very nice write up with pics. I also removed one of the mounts on my trans crossmember for more clearance. I really dont think this was needed, however, I was not taking any chances on the y-pipe banging. I trimmed it a bit and then painted.
The y-pipe is only 2.5" compared to my previous 3" ORY. I could not really tell any seat of the pants perfromance loss. I did notice that with the cats and rear O2's working my idle was much better. Maybe I am just dreaming on this and I should give it a few more days to say for sure. The sound is much better through the cats and Hooker Catback. I personally like to hear it but not be so loud it is anoying. The tone is much, much better inside the car now.
I also have a Sphon adjustable torque arm and had no clearance issues with the y-pipe.
I thought I would post my results and thoughts on the Supermaxx headers and y-pipe. I could not find much info on them searching before I made the purchase. Oh yeah and a big thanks to Speed Inc. for the great service and pricing.
Sweet. Good info. I have my Dynatech Supermaxx ssystem sitting in the dining room right now Looking to install them in a month. Glad to hear it's not a pure PITA and works well too. I was going to detail the install of the headers and the Eradispeed rotors/ earl brake lines I ordered.
Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6
Old 03-10-2005, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking

I installed the Supermaxx header system on my 2002 Collector Edition on last Memorial Day weekend.

I did not have any installation problems in the engine compartment. The Supermaxx directions are very detailed, with colored pictures included. The headers were a drop-in {"drop-up" from the bottom } installation. They do not interfere with or rub against anything!

I did the entire job myself w/o any help. This was possible because I used a set of temporary studs to "hang" the gaskets and headers on, so I did not have to hold the headers while trying to thread the screws into the head.

There was an issue fitting the Y-pipe into my stock exhaust pipe. The diameters are nearly identical. But to Dynatech's credit, they strongly suggested buying or renting a tail pipe expander for the task. Not having one was my problem, not theirs, and I developed a particular solution to the problem myself.

I've had my chance to really drive it hard. It sounds real good with my stock WS6 exhaust.
I won't be making any changes on the catback.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:18 PM
Third Chrome Wheel Director

Technoman64......I've been looking at these on eBay for awhile, tell me please, what was the price that you got for yours?.....and did you get the small cats or the larger ones with the longtubes?.....and do you have (or anyone with them) have some pictures?....thanks.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blu Beast
Technoman64......I've been looking at these on eBay for awhile, tell me please, what was the price that you got for yours?.....and did you get the small cats or the larger ones with the longtubes?.....and do you have (or anyone with them) have some pictures?....thanks.
Although you asked someone else, I can tell you that in May 2004 I participated in a group purchase and paid $1099 + shipping.

There have been some GP's earlier this year, with the cost being ~$1166 with free shipping.

You may have waited a bit long, as one sponsor talked of a Feb. 1st Dynatech price increase.

Currently there is 1 auction running on eBay. My g/f is a Powerseller on eBay, so I know more than a little about eBay auctions.
The seller has good feedback, but not great. He is not overcharging on shipping. The kit looks just as I remember mine, it is most probably complete.
It would most probably be a good auction experience. Gopher it!
Old 03-12-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here is a link to scanned pics from the user manual
http://dennisc99.home.mchsi.com/

I paid $1,067.00 + shipping for them. I am not sure what shipping was because I ordered several other items at the same time.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got these right when they first came out! Glad to see that there are so many other happy users! I'll just throw out that I made 362/368 through the cats with those as a full bolt-on car with a little bit more tuning left in it! Thunder racing also now makes straight pipes for them so they are completely versatile as the FLPs are!