Sponsored by:

Tech Tip "Pusher systems"

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 01:26 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tech Tip "Pusher systems"

Pusher systems.
A pusher system uses another media (nitrogen) to maintain a preset bottle pressure. Since nitrogen is at a much higher pressure than nitrous to start with you must use a regulator or a solenoid to maintain the 1050 psi worth of nitrous pressure. This nitrogen must be put onto the top of your liquid nitrous. A special valve or an adaptor will be needed so the nitrogren does not end up getting into you main nitrous supply line.

Positive things about a pusher system this system is it has the ability to keep the bottle pressure up during a run and in cold weather. A small bottle of nitrogen is all that is needed to make this happen. Constant bottle pressure will yield a very consistent nitrous flow. The performance is there to since you will not have any bottle pressure drop during the run. This will keep the nitrous to fuel ratio a constant.

Negative sides of this system, if your regulator or solenoid fails it could over pressure the cylinder and blow the burst disc. You need to empty out all the nitrogen out of the bottle so you can get it refilled. Now you are purchasing 2 different types of gas from your welder supplier. You have to have a special bottle valve or an adaptor to get the nitrogen on top of the liquid nitrous.

All in all I am not a huge fan of this type of system. It does work but really not intended for the street guys. I do not think any of the sanctioning racing bodies allows pusher systems.

I am sure there are some people out with a little more input on these systems, that have ran them and no the pitfalls if any.

Ricky
Old 03-21-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info Ricky. So if I understand this correctly then you must use either an adapter or one of your new NX bottle valves. The nitrogen feeds here and the main nitrous line feeds off the bottom of the bottle via the siphon tube. So it would seem that if you let the nitrous run low enough you could potentially run the risk of getting nitrogen into your main feed line. How do you prevent this? Also is a standard ntrous bottle rated to handle the additional pressure of the nitrogen or must you have a special bottle?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:03 PM

Will there is not more pressure if the regulator does it job properly. If it fails you will blow the burst disc for sure. And you are correct if you let the system run down you could be nitrogen into your main feed line. It is a good guess or you have to weigh the bottle a bunch.
Ricky
Old 03-21-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
Will there is not more pressure if the regulator does it job properly. If it fails you will blow the burst disc for sure. And you are correct if you let the system run down you could be nitrogen into your main feed line. It is a good guess or you have to weigh the bottle a bunch.
Ricky
Depending on what you use for a regulator, I dont see failure as a big issue. A big downfall is finding a regulator that will bring the pressure into the proper window 900-1100 pounds. Unfortunately the only decent reg I could find was from Victor SR4G580 Part #0781-1448 and runs upwards of $300. It is a fully manual regulator. I dont see failure of this regulator ever being an issue. I know some are using the paint ball gun regulators, those are a different story.
Some are using Nitrous solenoids and pressure switches, this I personally am not fond of, but thats just me..

Important to note that Nitrogen will not harm your engine, so no biggie if you run out of Nitrous. As you stated Ricky, you do have to empty your bottle completely between fills. You will also need some type of valve between your Nitrogen input line and your bottle. I use a typical stainless ball valve found at any hardware store. The valve is neccesary when you must remove your Bottle for refill, so you can turn off your Nitrogen, close your ball valve, then remove your tank. Of course you can turn off Nitrogen then purge the rest before removing if you wanted too.

For me, hands down the best thing I ever did for my nitrous system! You set your Nitrogen reg and forget it. You will always have enough bottle pressure, may have to purge some pressure off in very hot conditions but you will no longer have to worry about your bottle cooling down after a burn out or full pass.

Best part? NO MORE HEATERS!
Attached Thumbnails Tech Tip "Pusher systems"-mvc-838s.jpg   Tech Tip "Pusher systems"-z-ball-valve.jpg  

Last edited by Flipper; 03-22-2005 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I persionally run the Paintball tank reg and beside the size (68ci) it works great, Also i run a check valve Vs. a ball valve. I paid about 90 dollars for the paintball tank and about 40 dollars for thr check valve, the filler, and the 4an line to connect the nitrogen bottle to the nitrous bottle. On another note, alot of people havent head of this type of system. so when you get your bottle filled I would cap off the check valve with a 4an cap and tell the filler that it's for my bottle heater. Other wise you end up sitting there for a half an hour trying to explain it.

Old 03-22-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cyipher
I persionally run the Paintball tank reg and beside the size (68ci) it works great, Also i run a check valve Vs. a ball valve. I paid about 90 dollars for the paintball tank and about 40 dollars for thr check valve, the filler, and the 4an line to connect the nitrogen bottle to the nitrous bottle. On another note, alot of people havent head of this type of system. so when you get your bottle filled I would cap off the check valve with a 4an cap and tell the filler that it's for my bottle heater. Other wise you end up sitting there for a half an hour trying to explain it.

What size is your check valve? Are you keeping enough constant flow pressure? The size is of your paintball system is Nice! Perfect for the car guys! I am guessing no problems so far from the reg.. Nice set up!

Wall Mart has dust busters on sale..
Old 03-22-2005, 11:54 AM

One thing to remember is the nitrogen pressure is way up there, care should be taken on all parts that deal with high pressures, and wrong choice and you will know it.
Ricky
Old 03-22-2005, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Flipper
What size is your check valve? Are you keeping enough constant flow pressure? The size is of your paintball system is Nice! Perfect for the car guys! I am guessing no problems so far from the reg.. Nice set up!

Wall Mart has dust busters on sale..

The check valve is about 3"x.5"'x.5" with 1/8" ntp ports on both sides. Everything on the low pressure side of the reg is rated at 2000 PSI, and the filler to fill the tank is all rated at 5000 PSI. Both sides of the reg, Low and high pressure have a built in burst disks along with the nitrous bottle itself. I get good enough flow outta the check valve and reg to keep the bottle pressure up during the entire run, and no problems so far. As for the dust buster thats been taken care of awhile ago.

Pic. of the filler
Old 03-22-2005, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

The check valve is about 3"x.5"'x.5" with 1/8" ntp ports on both sides. Everything on the low pressure side of the reg is rated at 2000 PSI, and the filler to fill the tank is all rated at 5000 PSI. Both sides of the reg, Low and high pressure have a built in burst disks along with the nitrous bottle itself. I get good enough flow outta the check valve and reg to keep the bottle pressure up during the entire run, and no problems so far. As for the dust buster thats been taken care of awhile ago.

Pic. of the filler
Sounds like a great set-up!
Old 03-22-2005, 08:08 PM
11 Second Club

besides the bottle being a little small it is, plus every ones like wow whats that little bottle
Old 03-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Holy poop that is a BIG turbo!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2005, 04:44 PM
12 Second Truck Club

besides the bottle being a little small it is, plus every ones like wow whats that little bottle
I know you said previously, but I forgot. How many of those little tanks does it take to get through a 10 lbs nitrous bottle?
Old 03-25-2005, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

truthfully i found it depends on ambient temp, but when i fill my nitrous bottle with nitrogen for the first time after filling the nitrous bottle its self i usally only go through 2 bottles after the nitrous bottle is initally filled.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

truthfully i found it depends on ambient temp, but when i fill my nitrous bottle with nitrogen for the first time after filling the nitrous bottle its self i usally only go through 2 bottles after the nitrous bottle is initally filled.
So you have to refill your nitrogen bottle before going through a bottle of nitrous?
Old 03-25-2005, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

yes, once about 1/2 bottle of nitrous
Old 03-25-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes, once about 1/2 bottle of nitrous
Can you add a couple of bottles together?
Seems like that would be a PIA..
Old 03-25-2005, 11:40 PM
12 Second Truck Club

what size is your paintball bottle? i forgot that too
Old 03-25-2005, 11:41 PM
11 Second Club

68 ci
Old 03-25-2005, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Will that reg adapt to a regular bottle?
Old 03-27-2005, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

i dont think so but i havent unthreaed the reg from the bottle.

Quick Reply: Tech Tip "Pusher systems"