Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Tuner in WA?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 12:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner in WA?

I'm thinking ahead. It will take a couple of weeks for the parts to get here and also maybe a couple more for Saint Ellis to install them, so meanwhile I have to find someone to tune the car.

Does anyone know a good shop and/or a person that can seriously tune? I don't want to learn how to tune so the "do it yourself" is out of question, I can't trust myself on this task.

I'm looking for someone that can tune the M6 car completely, not just WOT tables and fan temps and basic stuff. My idea of tuning is not just related to making power, but to have the engine to work as a system.

Tuning will make the aftermarket parts shine with power, good reliability and gas mileage, right?

I know it can be done, I just don't know the person that can do it yet.

Saint Ellis if you can do it let me know.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS6freak
I'm thinking ahead. It will take a couple of weeks for the parts to get here and also maybe a couple more for Saint Ellis to install them, so meanwhile I have to find someone to tune the car.

Does anyone know a good shop and/or a person that can seriously tune? I don't want to learn how to tune so the "do it yourself" is out of question, I can't trust myself on this task.

I'm looking for someone that can tune the M6 car completely, not just WOT tables and fan temps and basic stuff. My idea of tuning is not just related to making power, but to have the engine to work as a system.

Tuning will make the aftermarket parts shine with power, good reliability and gas mileage, right?

I know it can be done, I just don't know the person that can do it yet.

Saint Ellis if you can do it let me know.
I know a good shop.......speed secrets, owned and operated by this old fat guy, who says he has a fast car
Old 03-26-2005, 12:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sardog46
I know a good shop.......speed secrets, owned and operated by this old fat guy, who says he has a fast car
I know that guy. He just installed a converter into a red Trans Am that is going to run 11s soon. He's an A-hole, but he seems to know a little about tuning.

Speed Secrets
Old 03-26-2005, 12:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OUCH! Old fat guy!

Nick I am all about exactly what you want. Problem is I do not have the experiance at this tiem to do it. I am on the learning curve. I seem to be really good at fining the 'bugs' in soft ware that no one else can. My biggest problem in getting what i want and know out of the software is so few people see more then the WOT numbers that no one ever incorperates the tables i need to make the 'system' work. (<~ long *** screwed up sentance)

This is the deal. To TRUELY tune exalance into a stock PCM takes time. there is NO ONE in this area who can do it for any price. As you hav enoted there is SO much more to a program then WOT numbers. I love a nice docile monster. My car has had years of tuning. Before I tore it down anyone could grab the keys and drive it. I expect nothing less out of a car I work on and tune.

My advise is to check with I think it is Futral. I have heard they can do a kick *** tune. IF any thing it would be a good start
Old 03-26-2005, 01:17 AM
TECH Resident

Ellis I really appreciate your honesty! See, that's why you're so busy all the time

I'll check with Futral. Thanks man!
Old 03-26-2005, 10:20 AM
10 Second Club

No problem man. Honesty just makes sence to me
Old 03-26-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Ellis,
I know what you mean about that learning curve... I was thinking about it last night and I think Jim and I have about 15+ hours of in the truck tuning into the H2 right now. That's not counting the night time internet study. There is a lot of stuff you can do and a lot of ways to do it wrong The cool thing is that once a few of the key things "click," several other lights start to come on--- and I don't mean the SES light!

One thing is for sure though, the deeper I get the less appealing it is to think about tuning for others. The old L98 based TPI and TBI engines were so easy!
Old 03-26-2005, 01:08 PM
10 Second Club

BTW I might have a 88 Vette i want you to do for us Cory
Old 03-26-2005, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WS6Freak

I think TJWong is your man if you're willing to drive to Vancouver/Portland area. He has years and years of tuning experience as well as a dyno with loading capability to simulate real world driving conditions. He's also very well regarded on the Vette forums and other tuner forums. Do a search on his username and send him a PM if he doesn't chime in.

Just my .02 as usual.

Mike
Old 03-26-2005, 03:58 PM
10 Second Club

Well then he has to drive the car there

I thought of TJ but I would still have to do some tuning on it to get him there

It is an open option and I know TJ does good work
Old 03-26-2005, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Well then he has to drive the car there

I thought of TJ but I would still have to do some tuning on it to get him there

It is an open option and I know TJ does good work
That's why they make car trailers and friends that own them, right?

At any rate, I'd trust TJ over ANY mail order tune. If he can get the car here, TJ's the man for the task IMO.

Mike
Old 03-26-2005, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

I never said he wan't

I can not say for sure but I got the feeling Nick was looking for some one in our imediate area.

Just to be clear. I feel TJ would do a great job. I have NO dought he can do it and do a Great job. I have never said other wise. Then again Like I said getting it from My shop to his......

I just offered a Alternitive. I appoligize for the bad information and will try not to repeat the missinformation.

Last edited by TwoFast4Lv; 03-26-2005 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Speaking of tuning, are you responsible for the offsets listed for the Lucus #42's found HERE Ellis? Who knows, maybe there's another Ellis out there somewhere?

Anyway, I've got some Racetronix 42's that'll be going on with the new heads in a couple weeks so I'm trying to be ready....
Old 03-26-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

I understood what you said Ellis and yes, I would rather have someone local.

BUT... I am willing to go the extra mile to get the car tuned right, even if I have to trailer it down there... I was thinking... after the install you have to fire up the engine anyways right? So at least some kind of tuning to get me home (Monroe to Mill Creek) will have to be installed. Like you mentioned before, we don't want to run super rich and soak up the cats... so I was thinking if that tune would get me to TJs....
Old 03-27-2005, 01:23 AM
10 Second Club

Yes Jon I wrote those tables back in 2000. They still hold true today

Nick we could arange that. I know TJ would do a top notch job

I am even willing to bet he would send a base file for us to start with to get you there
Old 03-27-2005, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Thanks man.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Yes Jon I wrote those tables back in 2000. They still hold true today

Nick we could arange that. I know TJ would do a top notch job

I am even willing to bet he would send a base file for us to start with to get you there

Sweeeeeeet!.... I am just a little worried about how big the damage to my wallet will be. I sent him an email, I'm waiting for his reply.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:16 PM
10 Second Club

Dyno time cost money and it is worth every dime

Quick Reply: Tuner in WA?