Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Stop this BILL

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stop this BILL

Ok guys this is a big one Bill 1397 THe area I quoted from is basically saying we are going to be changing our emissions to be like Cali & if they change their rules we change ours as well. Can we say Washington state is becoming like sheep?
The department of ecology shall adopt rules to implement the emission standards of the state of California for passenger cars, light duty trucks, and medium duty passenger vehicles, and shall amend the rules from time to time, to conform to the requirements of the federal clean air act.
Also this means that if this gets passed anyone that has done any mods to their car that doesnt have the OE number on their cowl (God I hope I am saying this right) Their car is no longer legal to drive on the roads. Can I say good by to over 5k worth of work done on my car?????? And I know many of you have even more done!!!!!!

Call this number 1.800.562.6000. tell them who you are, where you live at (county or city) & that you are against this bill, then you hand the phone over to the next person in your household (or office or where ever you are) & have them do the same thing. Any person who is old enough to vote can weigh in on this.
For ever 1 person that calls its like 100 votes.

Let's face it, this time we have to speak up or they will take away our rights and our hobby.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think everyone one needs to dial that number! I can not think of one car here that would pass Cali emissions!
Old 03-27-2005, 01:25 AM
12 Second Club

This is the part that confuses me and makes me think that we're safe... Because it states only vehicles after a certain point will require it.

NEW SECTION. Sec. 2 (1) Pursuant to the federal clean air act, the legislature adopts the California motor vehicle emission standards in Title 13 of the California Code of Regulations, effective January 1, 2005. By December 31, 2005, the department of ecology shall adopt rules to implement the emission standards of the state of California for passenger cars, light duty trucks, and medium duty passenger vehicles, and shall amend the rules from time to time, to conform to the requirements of the federal clean air act. Rules shall be applicable to motor vehicles with a model year 2009 and later. This section does not limit the department of ecology's authority to regulate motor vehicle emissions for any other class of vehicle.
(2) Motor vehicles with a model year equal to or later than the first model year for which new vehicles sold to Washington state residents are required to comply with California motor vehicle emission standards are exempt from emission inspections under chapter 70.120 RCW.

I'm still gonna call though. because cali emissions suck *** and the cars here aren't even the real cause it's the industrial emissions...
Old 03-27-2005, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is exactly why I have taken my time to mod this vette. We can only hold them back for so long. I will not do anything to my car that is not CARB approved so long as I live up here. Back in Florida its fair game. With that said, I believe that every car should meet emissions output for their respective model year. I do not agree with visiual inspection. If a car burns clean then it burns clean regardless of cats or what not. I am tired of seeing pieces of **** on the road burning oil that are exempt because of the emissions type emitted is not hydrocarbons or they cannot afford to fix. That's BS. Hot rodding and the environment can coexist.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:09 AM
12 Second Club

that's cool lost of used stuff will be on the market soon.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ace68
that's cool lost of used stuff will be on the market soon.
Nope will not be for sale the cars will be either on blocks or the cars will be Crushed.

If ya guys are relaxed about this bill, go talk to Don Berry Hes involved in the Washignton Car club, & hes got the full bill & knows the legal talk (after being involved for several years in helping pass or fail bills)
Originally Posted by rookiels1
This is the part that confuses me and makes me think that we're safe... Because it states only vehicles after a certain point will require it.
Yea but image if this bill goes through & Cali decides to make it all cars 5yrs & older are no longer safe (so every 5 yrs or so you have to buy a new car if you can afford it) then washington state & several other states that are looking in to passing this bill (Including Oregon) will ok fine all cars 5yrs old or older are no longer safe to drive.

What will happen to our cars? They go one blocks? most likely either that or they will be taken from us & crushed & I do mean crushed. We will not be able to sell them.

Hey you with that #1 69 Trans am thats worth 45k you cant drive it you cant touch it. You cant even sell it to a guy in NY that is willing to pay you 50K for the car.

Whats next they see ya driving your car & pull ya over & arrest you?

Guys dont take this lightly PLEASE dont think we are safe for now because it says 09, remember Cali changes its mind almost as often as we change the oil in our cars.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:35 AM
Launching!

even in cali they dont take the cars away and crush them, that would be illegal seasure of property, and the US supreme court would never uphold that one. you just wouldnt be able to license it in the state, as far as cali emissions go, all you have to do to pass their emissions is 150 bux and some one willing (not as hard to find as you would think) Im still going to call. but if it comes to pass due to all the tree huggers then there are ways around it, how do you think i got away with no cats and long tube headers in cali?
Old 03-27-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

i run hollow cats to a 3" cutout..defective A.I.R pump.. etc...

i've never had to smog check my car ever.. hopefully i can retain the registration in nevada while living here.

my car was actually for CA emissions before i got ahold of it

these laws suck.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Hmmm... 2009 and newer... light duty trucks and passenger cars....

Looks like what you have is safe, but everyone wanting a new car in in 2009 should buy a 3/4 ton or larger truck. We could have our own class of racing

This thread sounds a little bit like the NRA monthly mag... DOOM on us all!!! Our hobby will end! Stockpile your guns and ammo now.

No, I'm not nieve enough to think there aren't people out there wanting to get rid of us... but I'm definitely not nieve enough to think they can just have their way. It ain't gonna happen.

Last edited by CHarris; 03-27-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Guy it is not that easy. Cali kind of set a trapp to get ridd of old cars. The exemption every one likes? They are going to revoke it. Then you either pass or your car can not be registered. Now that does not sound bad till you have seen WHAT cali does to the cost of not registering your car! They go out of there way to make it so cost in-effective(I have heard in the thousands) to re-register your car you are just screwed.

Sure it may sound like the sky is falling but then again If i wanted to live in Califonia I would Freaking move there!

I am so sick of hearing how great it is by people who refuse to live there!

We have some of the best air quality in the united states. The enviroment here polutes more then the damn cars! I mean come on people why lay down and take it in the *** just because Califonia does?

America is suppossed to be free and every year people let them take even more of our freedoms to be "Safe"

I am not saying polute every thing I am saying this crap is un-called for. We all know it but follow along because we are to freaking lazy to do any thing.

I get sick and tired of people dictating Laws they them selves have no part of.

As you may tell this crap ****'s me off a bit!

Last edited by TwoFast4Lv; 03-27-2005 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Gotta agree with Ellis on this... the thing is, sure they wouldn't be able to come out with a bill that flat out said "All cars, regardless of model year, will have to pass Cali emissions, visual inspections, etc." because they know how unpopular it will be. So instead, they do it a little at a time... 2009 or newer at first, light duty and passenger only... give it a couple of years, then it'll be all vehicles, give it a couple of years, and then the exemption for older OBD cars will be gone... give it a couple more years, then all exemptions will be gone.

It's the "frog in the slow boiling water" effect... if they take away our rights in small, incremental steps, they know the vast majority of sheep (i.e. general public) won't ever notice, or might even think it's a good idea.

I see it all the time with anything considered "controversial", cars, guns, environment, etc.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

That's why people in Cali voted for Arnold (they're sick of the democraps) and hopefully on the next WA election we'll boot them too and put Dino Rossi there or some other Republican.

And this is because I am **NOT** a republican neither a democrat.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Veteran

I've read this bill over a few times and there are holes in it large enough to drive my car through.
Those are the things that kill an HB - go revise it and come back, try again.
There are also enough reps that don't back the bill - find your local rep and email them about your concerns and that you own a car that is now legal but potentially would not be if HB 1397 is passed. The loss of YOUR revenue to the state along with others would be a huge chunk of change to the state over all, and they aren't about to take that chance.

Think about it: California still has car clubs that meet everywhere and anywhere with claim to the biggest turnouts. Do you think they could do that because their cars didn't pass emissions or they all were able to pay thousands for an exemption? No. They still hold their meetings having spent no more for their commute cars than their mod cars, old and new.

We have done our own research and found the basis for emissions polution in King County alone was gleaned from reports done in 1996. There are no new comphrensive pollution reports due to car emissions - they essentially did a math calculation and came up with what is supposed to be the level of emission pollution. We've fought a few battles on that piece of information alone and won - so digging around a bit can yield invaluable information.

If this HB addressed public transportation that needs it (schools, buses, van pools etc) without dings to the rest of the passenger vehicles then I would support it. Our state has one of the biggest slush funds with out accurate accounting. Don't let that intimidate you into being heard you will not support more "fees" in lieu of taxation to keep that fund sloshing around.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heres something back from Dec talking about it.

Seven states Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont automatically are required to adopt the new global warming initiative because they have opted to follow California vehicle emissions standards, which are stricter than those set by the federal government. Including California, these states make up more than one-fourth of the American car market.
Clean air advocates say that lawmakers in at least five more states Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Texas and Washington likely will push to adopt California's vehicle emissions standards next year.