Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

install time? Heads, cam install...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wink install time? Heads, cam install...

sup guys, ill be installing a heads and cam package on my car soon, this will be my first head, cam install ever, and i plan on taking my time to make sure i get everything right...just curious how long the adverage install time is for this? and if there are any tips anyone has for me? something a first timer might need to know on this install? also the reason i ask is b/c ill have to rent out a stall in our hobby shop so i want to know how much itll cost me for renting it...im pretty excited b/c i have been wanting to put heads and cam on my car for some time now, and now that i have the chance im pretty happy! i got some TEA 5.3 heads, stg. 1.5 rev2, and a FMS F14 cam...i still have stock ls1 intake, pulley, and tb, but i think i should still make some decent power...i hate reading posts when ppl ask "what kinda power will this combo make, or will my car make?" but im curious to how much power ill be missing out on not having a ls6 intake, ported tb, and underdrive pulley? ill be putting in chromoly pushrods, single roller t/c, cam swap kit (gaskets and seals) and a ls6 oil pump as well...

so what kinda minor details do i need to be looking at when doing this? some things a first timer might over look b/c of not having the experience or knowing what to look for? whats the adverage time most ppl take when doing this install? and what kinda power am i missing out on not having whats listed above? and ya, sure if you want to tell me what kinda power you think ill put to the ground after the install and a tune...sure go ahead and tell me, but im not asking!!

thanks alot fella's

Jon
Old 03-29-2005, 05:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If its your first time ever??
take a good solid 3 days to do it...
It can be done by an experienced person in a day and a half...sometimes just 1 day...but common would be about 2 days....
Old 03-29-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Be very careful not to drop things in the block. When you take a bolt out, make sure it's not going to fall into a spot where you'll never get it back.

Also, be VERY careful not to cross-thread bolts.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tech
Be very careful not to drop things in the block. When you take a bolt out, make sure it's not going to fall into a spot where you'll never get it back.

Also, be VERY careful not to cross-thread bolts.
this is the very reason i want to do things myself, but i know that will be time comsuming...ill just have to make sure the other person that helps me is VERY carefull..

Jon
Old 03-29-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Have you seen www.ls1howto.com? Give it a look. VERY comprehensive.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jabroni
Have you seen www.ls1howto.com? Give it a look. VERY comprehensive.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take your time! have someone help you... it took me 18hrs to do it by myself.

its fun! good luck
Attached Thumbnails install time? Heads, cam install...-smallhc.jpg   install time? Heads, cam install...-smallhc2.jpg   install time? Heads, cam install...-smallhc5.jpg   install time? Heads, cam install...-smallhc7.jpg   install time? Heads, cam install...-smallhc9.jpg  

Old 03-29-2005, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Take your time like you said. The biggest pain in the butt part, and most time consuming is playing with installing the cam, messing around with the oil pan and pickup tube (use an old t-shirt and stuff it behind the oil pump, it's all you need; also get a pen magnet for this part). Things will go back together MUCH faster than it came apart.

Having a friend help is the best advice in my opinion; it makes tough jobs, like removing the radiator and AC condensor (I recommend removing it), much easier.

Read www.ls1howto.com, but be ready to encouter obstacles and have things not exactly like the tutorial. Be flexible and make sure things are done right and it'll be all good.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jimm
Take your time like you said. The biggest pain in the butt part, and most time consuming is playing with installing the cam, messing around with the oil pan and pickup tube (use an old t-shirt and stuff it behind the oil pump, it's all you need; also get a pen magnet for this part). Things will go back together MUCH faster than it came apart.

Having a friend help is the best advice in my opinion; it makes tough jobs, like removing the radiator and AC condensor (I recommend removing it), much easier.

Read www.ls1howto.com, but be ready to encouter obstacles and have things not exactly like the tutorial. Be flexible and make sure things are done right and it'll be all good.
thank you jabroni and jimm for the link, i knew of the site but didnt realize how much information it actually had!! that was very helpfull...i just wish i had a place of my own to do the install...somwhere i wouldnt mind leaving it overnight...but ill have to make due....i really appreciate the insight, and ill take your guys advice and ask a friend to help...i think it will be easier that way...alright fella's thanks

Jon
Old 04-01-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

me and my buddy did mine in about 8 hours but its not the first time
Old 04-01-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02_CETA_ws6
me and my buddy did mine in about 8 hours but its not the first time
ya i have a good mechanical understanding and figure things out quickly...so i think ill be fine...

Jon
Old 04-04-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

When are you doing it, are you going to do it in Houston, I'd be happy to lend a hand any way I can, just gimme a call.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:23 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go to sears and buy a 1/4" drive air ratchet along with an air hose swivel to put in line before the connector

i use this tool to remove 90% of the bolts on my car, that little bastard will remove every single header bolts w/out lifting a wrench (unless you have to break one loose). it will snake its way into anywhere. its the most used and best tool i own. if you have a good set of 1/4" drive sockets, 1/4 - 3/8 adapters, swivels, extensions, wobble extensions, etc. things will be easy. some bolts needs just the right combination of swivels, extensions etc. to get on them and be in a good position. the passengerside lower rear head bolt is a bitch, just telling you beforehand. the wrench wants to hit the a/c / heater thing and crack it while tightening it.

get a big wrench and a cheater pipe to make tightening those head bolts alot easier. use the sharpie marker across the heads method and do the specified 22 ftlbs - 90 degrees- 90 degrees (2 50degrees instead) method. make SURE the threads are clean, i put some tubing over my blower tip to blow most of the water out and also made a tap out of an old bolt (ls1howto) which worked awesome. be carefull with the sensors and clips.

be CAREFULL with the coolant temp sensor, the plastic AND the brass part will break off at a moments notice and leave you PHUCKED. make sure you get the gasket surfaces PERFECTLY clean. i used a shop-vac while i was cleaning so that nothing fell out of sight, just held the hose under where i was scraping and let the vacuum suck it up.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:26 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd say you could pick up 20-25 hp w/ the pulley, LS6 intake and TB. hell with heads AND a cam, you will probably pick up 25-30. definatly worth while.

make sure you go somewhere that has lifetime tunes or somthing similar because you WILL need more tuning with the ported throttlebody and LS6 intake after the heads/cam tune.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

I love to see people do their own work. I have worked on my own stuff for years but didnt start out on nice cars. I cant imagine my first head and cam swap a nice *** f-body. For that I say you have *****. I respect that,good luck.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Like said above. Get a good set of swivel sockets and a set of gear wrenches will help a lot as well. We used a shop vac and an attachment that had a needle like tip connected to a straw to suck a lot of the water out of the head bolt holes. This worked well.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

i plan on doing this install at our hobby shop we have on base, which has a lift, many tools and air hookups, basically everything i will need, i just have to rent out a stall for a weekend, and whatnot...thanks for all you guys help, i wouldnt have ever thought that getting the water out of the bolt holes would of been such a big deal...but this is why i ask these kinda questions, b/c there is always stuff i didnt think about or i would have never thought to think about...so thank you guys

Jon
Old 04-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Banned

Also, be sure you clean the block before you put the new heads on. Just take a plastic scraper to it. The turn the crank and bring each piston to the top and clean that area as well.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XtrmLS1spd
Also, be sure you clean the block before you put the new heads on. Just take a plastic scraper to it. The turn the crank and bring each piston to the top and clean that area as well.
will do thank you!

Jon
Old 04-05-2005, 12:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Get ALL the coolant out of the bolt holes or risk cracking the block. You will hydrolock the bolt and hole if there is any coolant left in there.

Quick Reply: install time? Heads, cam install...