Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

must read! stock bolts with qtp headers nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default must read! stock bolts with qtp headers nightmare

well i broke one of my header bolts off a few weeks ago and my mechanic finally got the bolt out for me. turns out that ALL the stock GM bolts that came on the car with the manifolds were bottoming out when reusing them on the qtp headers. this is not a post against qtp. they make great products. just wanted to let everyone know that my stock bolts bottomed out, i suggest you do not reuse the bolts and go with something shorter. so any guys with little leaks your stock bolts may be bottomed out too. pull the gasket out and see how the metal ring on the gasket is not flattend out the way it should be.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Strange... I've used the stock bolts with a number of header installs ans never had an issue.

Glad you found the problem.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:30 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah very strange... I reused the stock bolts on my hooker tubes on the old car..and the flange is thinner than on the qtp's....I had no problems.... and you can put the bolts all th eway into the hole with the headers off....
sounds more like you maybe had some cross threading going on...or maybe some gack in the hole or something...
also I know of 2 perople here local kc that swear by stock bolts on all headers....and they do a shitload of header installs.....
it makes me curious about your setup and block....not that its bad...just curious why your bolts had that problem...
Old 04-05-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

the tip of the bolt was scraped as it was hitting something, im positive that they were hitting something, and when i went to get more stock bolts from GM, they were differnt then the ones that came on the car. strange
Old 04-06-2005, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine worked fine No problem... and you mechainc did chage you brake calipers after only 40k miles If i were you i would get a new machanic
Old 04-06-2005, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 35thls1ss19
mine worked fine No problem... and you mechainc did chage you brake calipers after only 40k miles If i were you i would get a new machanic
damn, yea sounds like you need to. if your bolts dont match up to what you're getting from GM, then there's something wrong. i don't think they changed the bolts in f-bodies, ever. my stock bolts fit fine w/my Kooks, but i switched to stage 8 lockers anyhow b/c i didn't trust the stockers the second time i had to remove/install the bolts.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:26 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

QTP long tubes along with stock bolts here as well, no problems.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

my brakes were beaten to **** and my mechanic gets direct prices from GM so my calipers were 26 bucks. cj go outside and start up your car. hear all those ticks, yea those are exhaust leaks, you just cant hear them too well over the ory and gmmg. my mechanic had made more of a life for himself them you ever will going to county for the amount of years you have
Old 04-06-2005, 07:44 AM
11 Second Club

thats is weird.... i have the stock bolts on my QTPs... and i had them also when i had Jethots... no problems here... to me it seems that maybe your car had different bolts to begin with??
Old 04-06-2005, 07:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by elite22xl
my brakes were beaten to **** and my mechanic gets direct prices from GM so my calipers were 26 bucks. cj go outside and start up your car. hear all those ticks, yea those are exhaust leaks, you just cant hear them too well over the ory and gmmg. my mechanic had made more of a life for himself them you ever will going to county for the amount of years you have
goin to county ha..... he works out of his back yard, alll you needed was rotors and you paid for calipers. And ticks? you obously never heard my car. MY ory might leaek bc its 4 pices and clamped together, which will change in a week or too. Then you can talk to me other then that keep goin to your great machanic and pay for somthin you dont need
Old 04-06-2005, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The stock bolts would not work with my jet hots. I used the bolts they supplied. The stock bolts are larger in diameter than the jet hots are. The holes in the flanges on the jet hots were too small for the stock bolts. Strange? yes.....
Old 04-06-2005, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

and i just measured my stock manifolds they are 3/8's just like qtp's so this happened how? Yea thanks
Old 04-06-2005, 10:01 AM
9 Second Club

Stock bolts/QTP headers here with no problems.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Yeah jay, not trying to be a dick here, he is a great mechanic, he fixed my car faster and better than the other hack job....

but there's no way those bolts are bottoming out. How do you know if the ends arent marred form taking them in and out so much? plus those heads are SOFT aluminum, if they were bottoming out, your thread would be shot to ****.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DaveLT1 9
Yeah jay, not trying to be a dick here, he is a great mechanic, he fixed my car faster and better than the other hack job....

but there's no way those bolts are bottoming out. How do you know if the ends arent marred form taking them in and out so much? plus those heads are SOFT aluminum, if they were bottoming out, your thread would be shot to ****.
Calipers after 40k....dunno about that , but I'm no mechanic and never claimed to be. I'm staying out of this one, you and CJ can settle it.... but just some food for thought....if the bolts were bottoming out on the headers, which are the exact same width as a stock manifold, then according to your logic, the stock manifold would have leak too. And like Dave said, not trying to be a dick here either.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

my mechanic doesnt lie. none of you drove my car and none of you saw the defective caliper that was on the front of the car. and thanks for making me realize that i have better things to do then talk to people on these forums. its just a car. jeez. should have never gotten that thing just from the headaches that i get from talking to people like you guys
Old 04-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by elite22xl
my mechanic doesnt lie. none of you drove my car and none of you saw the defective caliper that was on the front of the car. and thanks for making me realize that i have better things to do then talk to people on these forums. its just a car. jeez. should have never gotten that thing just from the headaches that i get from talking to people like you guys
yo man I'm not saying he's lying about the bolt bottoming out (obv i haven't seen it)...just mathmatically, unless it was always bottoming out, and who the hell knows with GM.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

I uesd S&P headers for my project and yep they bottom out big time. I cut them off and reused them.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 72ChevelleConv.LS1
I uesd S&P headers for my project and yep they bottom out big time. I cut them off and reused them.

thanks for the useful info