Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Cam, Tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Cam, Tuning question

I'm planning on putting in a FMS F14 cam in about 2 weeks. Would it be more beneficial for me to dyno tune it or buy LS1edit and try and tune it myself or with friends? The place where I might dyno tune it is roughly $100/hr. How many hours do you think it would take to tune? If I bought LS1edit, would I be able to get it far enough away from stock to at least come close to a semi ok tune (not kill my plugs and O2's). Thanks.

-Bryan
Old 04-13-2005, 10:20 PM
Launching!

I'd go to a tuner. By the time you figured it out, if you didn't bust your car by then, it would be way more than a few hours...probably a few months before you got really good at it.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buy HP Tuners and have someone locally help you (that's done it before).
Old 04-14-2005, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tech
Buy HP Tuners and have someone locally help you (that's done it before).

This is what I would do too. HP Tuners kicks *** and is very user friendly. Tech support is pretty damn good too.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TNorman
Tech support is pretty damn good too.
Hey now. I didn't offer to help!
Old 04-14-2005, 06:00 AM
On The Tree

I've never heard of nor seen HP Tuners. Is it a programer like LS1edit? Thanks.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by NVE THIS
I've never heard of nor seen HP Tuners. Is it a programer like LS1edit? Thanks.
You can buy FlashScan or HPtuners. LS1Edit is old and outdated and support is bad IMO when compared to FlashScan or HPTuners.

Bill
Old 04-14-2005, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Which is better, HP Tuners or FlashScan? Thanks.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Talking

I have use LS1Edit and FlashScan but not HPTuners. A lot of people on this forum us HPTuners. I think most people like both. FlashScan does have logging with no PC and free software updates for life. That is what sold me but I would check out their websites. HPTuner is a sponsor of this site. They have a link to the right---->>>>.

Good luck with what ever you choose. There is a learning curve with both but this site really helps.

Bill
Old 04-14-2005, 03:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

They are both more then capable of getting the job done...they both have their own forums...flashscan offers a usb connection hptuners does not currently so you'd need an adapter($20) but hptuners is slightly cheaper ~$650 for enhanced vs. ~$700 for efi lives "enhanced" version. I personally like hptuners licensing scheme slightly more but even that has its flaws...but if your just tuning your car and are looking into tuning yourself id go with hptuners all the way.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
They are both more then capable of getting the job done...they both have their own forums...flashscan offers a usb connection hptuners does not currently so you'd need an adapter($20) but hptuners is slightly cheaper ~$650 for enhanced vs. ~$700 for efi lives "enhanced" version. I personally like hptuners licensing scheme slightly more but even that has its flaws...but if your just tuning your car and are looking into tuning yourself id go with hptuners all the way.
version 2.0 has a USB adapter too...

i tossed in with 4 other friends on HPtuners, and its almost paid for itself with just doing rear O2 deletes.......
Old 04-14-2005, 03:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
version 2.0 has a USB adapter too...
" hptuners does not currently " yup i know...doesnt effect me i bought a laptop with a seriel port
Old 04-14-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
" hptuners does not currently " yup i know...doesnt effect me i bought a laptop with a seriel port
i just bought the keyspan adapter, and it works great...... but anyway, i just thought id throw that in for anyone looking to buy HPtuners software soon... version 2.0 should be out anyday now.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:49 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

I can vouch for EFILive and FlashScan as being extremely capable and user friendly. Either HPTuners or EFILive are better values by far than LS1Edit in my opinion. A fundamental question you need to ask though is are you willing to spend some time, money and researching into learning the fundamentals of tuning. I find it very interesting and a lot of fun and there is some frustration too. If you do buy tuning software/hardware, you ought to plan on buying a wide band AFR as soon as possible. Tuning without a WBAFR is like flying trapeze without a net in my opinion.

A great thing about the ability to do your own tuning and scanning is that you will really learn a lot and eventually can get the vehicle to run just like you want it to and you can change things over time to suit yourself and as you do future modifications.\

On the other hand, if you have a good tuner, you can get good results right off the bat.

Steve
Old 04-15-2005, 06:14 AM
On The Tree

I have no problem spending time learning how to tune my car. Two big reasons I looking into getting a programer rather than taking it to a dyno tune is the return on my investment. I will be able to see how I want to tune my car and be able to change things at my own pace. A dyno tune will probably net me an awesome tune by someone who knows what they are doing, but what if I need something changed in the future or decide to add a different cam. I will have the ability and hopefully after a while the know how to adjust my car to mods I have made.
I also have a friend with a 2001 Trans AM that would benefit slightly from being able to tune. He only has intake/exhause and will be adding long tube headers shortly, so he can get a little potential out of his car. Thanks for the replies. I'll keep looking into both products and let you know which one I buy.
I'm sure I'll be back asking for help soon.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:11 PM
Banned

Don't forget about the Crane Cams Tuner. Looks like a Hypertech, but it's made for changing injector sizes or cams up to a TREX. It's only $420 and you get a LOT for the money.