Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can i spray on the t rex

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i spray on the t rex

well just like it say how much can i spary and how much will i gain off a 150 shot
Old 04-16-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can spray on any cam. Just some cams respond to nitrous better than others.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The T-rex will work ok with the spray. It's not really oriented for it, but it'll work. The T-rex has a good amount of overlap, which is the point in which both your intake and exaust valves are open. If both valves are open to long, most of your nitrous will shoot straight out the exaust valve before it can be burnt. Thus resulting in less hp from a givin shot of nitrous. The amount you gain will depend on what kind of kit it is. Some kits jet for engine HP, some jet for rear wheel hp. I'd say you'd still gain around 125-150 hp depending on the kit.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6 SS
well just like it say how much can i spary and how much will i gain off a 150 shot
If you want to spray 150 + on that cam thunder will grind you one with a 112 center.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
The T-rex will work ok with the spray. It's not really oriented for it, but it'll work. The T-rex has a good amount of overlap, which is the point in which both your intake and exaust valves are open. If both valves are open to long, most of your nitrous will shoot straight out the exaust valve before it can be burnt. Thus resulting in less hp from a givin shot of nitrous. The amount you gain will depend on what kind of kit it is. Some kits jet for engine HP, some jet for rear wheel hp. I'd say you'd still gain around 125-150 hp depending on the kit.

IMHO not true. The biggest thing about a nitrous cam is the exhaust valve opening point. Nitrous makes everything burn quicker. Because of the quicker burn you need to open the exhaust sooner to properly scavenge the exhaust since the 'burn' is over. Delaying the exhaust opening point will just reduce the ability of the exhaust to get out of the motor which isn't necessarily the case with a NA motor or one running some other form of fuel such as alcohol or nitromethane (which both burn much slower than gasoline or especially gasoline and nitrous oxide).

Overlap is only going to kill off lowend until the motor gets enough velocity going in the intake and exhaust tracts to make it work. IMHO the overlap that makes the best horsepower NA (which is what pulls the most fresh intake charge in the motor) will work just as well with N2O. Think about it: If the overlap is working to pull more air and fuel into the motor just adding a slug of nitrous oxide to the mix is just icing on the cake. The main requirement of the nitrous is that you need to get it out faster because of the quicker burn time.

BTW, we just had a customer run 9.95 with our 230/224 reverse split cam and a 100 horse TNT kit on a stock bottom end. The point of that is that unless you are spraying an ungodly amount of nitrous the cam really isn't that big of a deal.

Bottom line is that the TRex loves the spray.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

well i am doing a direct port kit on my fast 90 intake and it is a NX kit
Old 04-16-2005, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redline2k
If you want to spray 150 + on that cam thunder will grind you one with a 112 center.
well i allreay have the cam amd i like the way it runs NA at the track and on the street i just want to spray the car and see what the car can run on this set up
Old 04-16-2005, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Geoff
IMHO not true. The biggest thing about a nitrous cam is the exhaust valve opening point. Nitrous makes everything burn quicker. Because of the quicker burn you need to open the exhaust sooner to properly scavenge the exhaust since the 'burn' is over. Delaying the exhaust opening point will just reduce the ability of the exhaust to get out of the motor which isn't necessarily the case with a NA motor or one running some other form of fuel such as alcohol or nitromethane (which both burn much slower than gasoline or especially gasoline and nitrous oxide).

Overlap is only going to kill off lowend until the motor gets enough velocity going in the intake and exhaust tracts to make it work. IMHO the overlap that makes the best horsepower NA (which is what pulls the most fresh intake charge in the motor) will work just as well with N2O. Think about it: If the overlap is working to pull more air and fuel into the motor just adding a slug of nitrous oxide to the mix is just icing on the cake. The main requirement of the nitrous is that you need to get it out faster because of the quicker burn time.

BTW, we just had a customer run 9.95 with our 230/224 reverse split cam and a 100 horse TNT kit on a stock bottom end. The point of that is that unless you are spraying an ungodly amount of nitrous the cam really isn't that big of a deal.

thanks that what i was hopping for
Old 04-17-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Veteran

That's real good info Geoff. Your point would explain why I've had better luck with cams with more overlap on the spray. The theory behind it is enough to make your mind wonder, but in the end it works. It still makes you wonder why people tighten up the LSA on No2 cams though? If more overlap is doing better on the spray, why are all the No2 cams cut on 114's? For a while there, I believed the tight LSA would result in higher cylinder pressures due to the lack of overlap, but that obviously dosen't make more power. I just wonder when the point of overlap is to much? There has to be a end somewhere........
Old 04-17-2005, 08:23 AM
TECH Regular

That's real good info Geoff. Your point would explain why I've had better luck with cams with more overlap on the spray. The theory behind it is enough to make your mind wonder, but in the end it works. It still makes you wonder why people tighten up the LSA on No2 cams though? If more overlap is doing better on the spray, why are all the No2 cams cut on 114's? For a while there, I believed the tight LSA would result in higher cylinder pressures due to the lack of overlap, but that obviously dosen't make more power. I just wonder when the point of overlap is to much? There has to be a end somewhere........
A wider LSA will open the exhaust sooner all other things being equal. It also happens to reduce overlap. Most true street motors can only handle so much overlap for a lot of reasons (such as low speed drivability, emissions, computer compatability, etc.) so if you need to open the exhaust sooner it makes more sense to widen up the LSA. Also certain head designs are more sensitive to overlap (such as a hemi) and will tend to scavenge the intake into the exhaust with too much overlap. The exhaust can be opened erlier in several different manners (wider LSA, bigger exhaust lobe) with the wider LSA probably being more popular for the reasons stated.

As I stated earlier in a race engine whatever amount of overlap you find that works best for your particular combination should be fine for the nitrous.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

As I stated earlier in a race engine whatever amount of overlap you find that works best for your particular combination should be fine for the nitrous.
Sounds like a winner to me.