Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a bad converter from Yank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this a bad converter from Yank? Answer: Yes

I have a new Yank 3000 and had it install by a reputable performance garage that has done many C5 A4's.

In park there is a vibration or more like a thumping that starts at 1000 rpm and gets very pronounced at 3500 rpm,

In Gear there is no vibration at 1000 rpm with brakes on.

On the road the vibration is very pronounced above 3500 rpm in any gear.

Is this vibration from the Yank converter going to do damage and should I start shopping for a converter that works?

The shift and lockup is well behaved and there are no complaints there.

Last edited by billc5; 04-26-2005 at 04:14 PM. Reason: A final determination has been made
Old 04-17-2005, 10:00 PM
10 Second Club

did you also install the torque drive plate that is recommended? all bolts tight? (i know you can't answer the second one)
Old 04-17-2005, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

if its bad verter Yank will rebuild it for like 200 dollars no questions asked. as long as u r original purchaser. and when u get it back it will b good as new
Old 04-17-2005, 10:53 PM
11 Second Club

if i were you i would call yank and see what they say. have seen the vibration before and have been told that by taking the convertor bolts loose and relocating or turning the convertor to realign the bolts to a different hole helps.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:04 AM

Regardless of what brand converter you should not have a vibration like you are describing. Call Yank and talk with them about it.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

Default Bad Yank converter

Originally Posted by JNorris
Regardless of what brand converter you should not have a vibration like you are describing. Call Yank and talk with them about it.
Yes I bought it New from Yank. I am out over $1000 so far if you consider shipping and boggas restocking charges.

My faith in Yank has long since gone, they charged a restocking fee on the first one that didnt fit, it was too long or it would not fully engage, I dont know why but the next one they shipped had no clearance issues.

I am thinking I should just put the original stock converter back in.

The last thing I want to do is give Yank more money, they are 2 for 2 now, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

I was hoping that there was a installation problem, but we can see none.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:22 AM
10 Second Club

I wouldn't pay them ****! Call them and tell them what is going on with it and demand it be fixed with no extra charge. If they don't want to do that demand your money back.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This can be that c-5 torque tube is not aligned correctly or the front drive plate was bent upon install, as also did you replace the rubber drive shaft bushings as they take a seat to the orgnal set up
and the end bearing might have pushed into the torque tube causing a bind in the joints
these are very common in the c-5

You might unhook the exhaust system to see if it got installed in a bind
Old 04-18-2005, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Yank
This can be that c-5 torque tube is not aligned correctly or the front drive plate was bent upon install, as also did you replace the rubber drive shaft bushings as they take a seat to the orgnal set up
and the end bearing might have pushed into the torque tube causing a bind in the joints
these are very common in the c-5

You might unhook the exhaust system to see if it got installed in a bind
The exhaust has good clearance, we checked that.
We realigned the Drive shaft, as per GM instructions, and no change.

The installer contacted Yank when the original converter would not fit, none of these common conditions were suggested at the time.

We are going to separate the drive from the converter to issolate the vibration and then if required swap out the converter. Most likely we will put the stock converter back in.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can always call kevin winstead at TCI if yank wont help you out, kevin is a outstanding person to deal with , I know a few people that have sent there yanks back to kevin to get fixed..
Old 04-20-2005, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Isn’t that a wonderful comment on customer service from Yank.

I will restall the stock converter to 2600 and have it ready to install, on this Monday. I should've done this in the first place, oh well, and then we will check the balance of the Yank converter and look for defects.

I don’t want to wait for parts to travel all over North America; I have to arrange shop time for these changes so I need the parts available. The restall is $300 and they will be there for any service issues.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:37 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by billc5
Isn’t that a wonderful comment on customer service from Yank.

I will restall the stock converter to 2600 and have it ready to install, on this Monday. I should've done this in the first place, oh well, and then we will check the balance of the Yank converter and look for defects.

I don’t want to wait for parts to travel all over North America; I have to arrange shop time for these changes so I need the parts available. The restall is $300 and they will be there for any service issues.
It seems that you have a issue with your car, as you said that the first converter did not fit, but when we got it back it fit on our test assy and we took it to a local shop and they had no issue installing it on a transmission and we installed it in a local car with no issue!
so it was not the converter!
You had said that it was too long and would not bolt up if you did not have it in all the way on the pump and tried to bolt it up this will push the rear brg into the torque tube and bind up the rubber joints and cause your issue,
as can worn drive shaft center bushings
the converter is balanced dry and can not be checked with fluid in it, as the fluid will not disburse uniformly and not check the same as it does in the dry unit as this balance system is the correct way!
you are not the first person to have a issue after a converter install
but it seems to get pointed at the converter no matter who or what co. built it

You must look at the root cause of your problem
before you claim unfounded facts
Old 04-20-2005, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

This is your customer service response, blame the customer, we had not one but 3 converters, the first one you sent us did not fit, the second one did fit and of coarse the stock one fit, I was there and it would not engage. It is moot that you say there were no issues, how is it possible for 2 other converters to engage and yours did not. As I recall you guys directed us to return it for replacement and then charged a restocking fee.

I have made no unfounded claims, what is unfounded? Is this a bad Yank converter? Is a question not a claim.

The facts:
1. I feel abandoned by Yank
2. there was difficulty engaging the first converter
3. We did contact you for assistance and direction.
4. the replacement converter engaged no problem.
5. There is a significant vibration at +3500rpm after the install.
6. There is no confirmation at this time as to cause of the vibration.
7. We are attempting to repair the defects on Monday and if the converter is not defective I will say so.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

EveryTime i hear or read about a yank possible converter problem there answer seems to always be the same , its not there converter that ever causes the problem , you figure that sometimes that would be true but even so they should step up to the plate and make things right anyways...
Old 04-21-2005, 07:54 AM
FormerVendor

the converter was installed back about 3-4 mos ago and you have not said a word about it till now! so did this just happen!
and the converters you ordered was a SS3600 and when you got it you said you wanted a 3000 so we sent you a 3000 and charged a restocking fee as you changed your mind!
Again the converter you said did not fit is in another c-5 corvette and running for over 3 mo.s with no issuses
corvette are bad about the torque tube drive shaft vibrating after they are removed.
You have not contacted us about this till this thread
If you wanted us to help you, you might ask us we can not read your Mind!
Old 04-21-2005, 07:56 AM
10 Second Club

I know it sucks spending the time and money to swap out converters. I have been through the same thing. I bet if you put the stock one back in the problems go away. Then guess where the problem lies
Old 04-21-2005, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

the converter was installed back about 3-4 mos ago and you have not said a word about it till now! so did this just happen!
and the converters you ordered was a SS3600 and when you got it you said you wanted a 3000 so we sent you a 3000 and charged a restocking fee as you changed your mind!
Again the converter you said did not fit is in another c-5 corvette and running for over 3 mo.s with no issuses
corvette are bad about the torque tube drive shaft vibrating after they are removed.
You have not contacted us about this till this thread
If you wanted us to help you, you might ask us we can not read your Mind!
You bring this up in public so let's just expose the facts and bring to light your errors.

1. I order a 3000 stall. Remember this is on a Magnacharger C5, What happened was you charged me at the 3600 price which was in error and then the guys in shipping sent the wrong converter having looked at the amount of the wire transfer and then assuming it was for a 3600. Lets see your selection chart does not recommend a 3600 but you sent one anyway. It was only because the installer couldn’t get it to fit that it was returned. The installer called me and I came over and saw what was going on and noted the wrong stall. There’s another bogus assumption gone.

2. The converter was installed at the end of December and the C5 was moved to storage on a flat bed, It didn’t hit the road until Mid April. There goes another bogus assumption on your part.

3. If the c5 torque tube has a problem we will know shortly.

Your customer enmity has been well exposed here. This is exactly why I chose to ignore YANK and defend for myself.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:02 AM
FormerVendor

Its too bad that you do not want to call us!
and want to try to do this on the FORUM thing do not get handled correctly that way!
But our order shows a ss3600 for the price you sent!
the 3000 is less money so we sent what was ordered
Again you must call to talk to someone if you have ?s

you might want to check on a corvette forum as I have, and the vib seams to be in a lot of cars m-6 or a-4 with and with out mods
Old 04-25-2005, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Its too bad that you do not want to call us!
and want to try to do this on the FORUM thing do not get handled correctly that way!

you might want to check on a corvette forum as I have, and the vib seams to be in a lot of cars m-6 or a-4 with and with out mods
Just tried to separate the converter from the drive plate and like everything else with this installation there was not enough clearance to run the car (1/16 was not enough).
Old 04-25-2005, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BAIN
I know it sucks spending the time and money to swap out converters. I have been through the same thing. I bet if you put the stock one back in the problems go away. Then guess where the problem lies
That might be his only choice at this point. Damn that would suck.