Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Getting 17x11 TT2's, have a few Q's....

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 03:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting 17x11 TT2's, have a few Q's....

I've read a whole bunch of threads and searched all day but I still have mixed emotions and questions I need answered. I am getting some 17x11 TT2's with sumitomos 315 35's. Right now, I am at stock ride height and I am planning on lowering the car back down again with my hypercoils. My questions are, what offset will I need for the TT2's? I've heard 46mm and 50mm, which one will I need? Also, what mods will I have to do in order for the tires to fit? I know different people have different scenarios with different tires, do the sumitomos run small or big? I would rather do the BFH mod to the inner wheels, I really don't want to roll the fender lips or cut the bumpstops completely off. Can I trim the bumpstop some to get them to work, or do I HAVE to cut it off? I have an adjustable PHR on the car now and the rear is centered up with the 9.5 TT2's with 275's that I have now. I have had chrome ZR1 17x11 with sumitomos 315's on it when my car was lowered with the hypercoils before I raise it back up and didn't have any problems with rubbing, you think I will have problems with the TT2's?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2005, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you wont have any problems with the TT2s, i had them on my car for 2+ years at stock height w/315s
Old 04-19-2005, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

you want have any issues.the sumitomo's run a little smaller in width than most 315's.you don't have to cut the bumpstops.just jack the car up by the rear end instead of the body.i run the 11's on all 3 of my f-bodies.all are lowered.pics in sig
Old 04-19-2005, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by thechef
you wont have any problems with the TT2s, i had them on my car for 2+ years at stock height w/315s
Thanks for the replies, I will be lowered when the 315's go on so hopefully won't have a problem. What about the offset? 46mm or 50mm?
Old 04-19-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hardtop00SS
Thanks for the replies, I will be lowered when the 315's go on so hopefully won't have a problem. What about the offset? 46mm or 50mm?
I believe they are only avaliable in 46mm.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Arachnotron
I believe they are only avaliable in 46mm.
Yup . . no other choice.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

alright, 46mm it is....
Old 04-20-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've run my TT2 17x11s for a year now and I haven't had any problems. At stock height I didn't rub the fenders at all now that I've lowered I would have rubbed and cut the tires but I rolled the fenders and I've had a few people in the car and no rubbing. I think you should be ok. I have BFG tires out back so thats part of the rubbing issue
Old 04-23-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At stock height, you shouldn't need to do anything.

With my 315's and TTII's, lowered, I had to roll the fender lips as well as hammer the inner fenders when lowered. The usual. Good shocks and stiffer springs help prevent the suspension from compressing more than it needs and that helps, also.

BTW, the Sumitomos really suck. No traction and dangerous in the wet. Only got 5K from the 315 rears. The Nitto 555R's are way superior and are only a bit more in price. They are lasting about the same mileage, but the grip is in another league. They are also a tad narrower and that also helps.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JasonWW
At stock height, you shouldn't need to do anything.

With my 315's and TTII's, lowered, I had to roll the fender lips as well as hammer the inner fenders when lowered. The usual. Good shocks and stiffer springs help prevent the suspension from compressing more than it needs and that helps, also.

BTW, the Sumitomos really suck. No traction and dangerous in the wet. Only got 5K from the 315 rears. The Nitto 555R's are way superior and are only a bit more in price. They are lasting about the same mileage, but the grip is in another league. They are also a tad narrower and that also helps.
Did you have a adjustable PHR? I heard that helps some with clearance issues if the rear's off. I will be lowered with hyercoils with either Koni's or Bilsteins, and you think that the Sumitomos are a bad tire? This is really the only tire I can afford right now! I want to go with G-Force KDW but I don't have the money for those now, and I was planning on running M/T drag radial with the 2 17x9.5 rims that I on the back now. I guess I will find out if I need to roll the lips or not.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

You almost have to have an adjustable PHR to fit 315's (yeah, I do). Since you already had one, I didn't mention it.

Sumitomo HTR Z in 315 is a very bad tire. Once they get worn down some they are freakin dangerous in the wet. The Nitto 315 is $182ea. so it's not too expensive. The grip difference is like night and day. Even my partially bald 555R's grip incredibly well on wet roads. I'd never go back to the Sumitomo.

There are just less tire choices in 315's AND they tend to cost more. Then you have the clearance issues. I almost regret getting them. They do look cool, though.

Have you considered staying with the 9.5 rims and use a 1" adapter to push the rear rims out? The adapters make the tires look wider from every angle except from ground level. adapters are like $70pr.
Besides the drag radial, Nitto also makes the 555RII autocross tire in 275 which gives you the grip as well as the handling.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

Do you regret getting 11's because of tire selection/price or because of clearance issues? I love the look of the 11's, but I am worried about clearance problems and I don't really want to tear my car up in order to get them to fit. Like I said above, I ran my buddies ZR1 11's when I lowered before and I didn't have any clearance issues, I wonder if I should go with some ZR1's instead of the TT2's? I love the TT2's but it seems like everyone is having trouble with the TT2 11's then the ZR1 11's.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've gotten past all the clearance issues. Mine don't rub at all, now. I did cut off the bumpstop completely and mount some on the shock. It's good to be able to jack from the frame with no problems, but not everyone wants to cut the bumpstops. Most just jack from the axle, but I don't like that.

It's the tire selection/price that sucks. I might even try a fuzion 275 on my 11" rears just to smoke them up and drift around on.
I was seriously thinking about using the GY F1d3 in 275 on the rear. They run $200, while the 315 size jumps in price to $300. That just sucks.
Also the Nitto 555RII autocross tire is made in 275, but not 315.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Now if Nitto made the 555RII in 315 or if GY sold the 315 D3 for $200-220 then I'd be a lot happier.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

there really isn't any need to cut off the bumpstops. There is just one corner of the bumpstop that is a problem. I just used a grider and took off the corner that would hit the wheel when I jacked up the car. Only took a few minutes to do and now I don't have a problem. Course you could just leave it all alone and just jack the car up by the rear and never have to worry about the bumpstop.

Don't let clearance issues scare you it really isn't bad. I'm real picky about my car and if it were a big deal then I would have never done it. The fender rolling was the hardest part for me. But I have the eastwood roller and it didn't hurt anything at all. Just remember to use a heat gun on the paint before you roll the fender and you won't have a problem.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh and JasonWW is right. There aren't a lot of choices out there for 315s and they are more expensive. I love BFGs so thats what I'll always stick with out back. Right now I run KDs and they are real expensive but worth the money. If money is an issue just go with some DRs since they are cheaper, just be a little more careful in the rain.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
there really isn't any need to cut off the bumpstops. There is just one corner of the bumpstop that is a problem. I just used a grider and took off the corner that would hit the wheel when I jacked up the car. Only took a few minutes to do and now I don't have a problem. Course you could just leave it all alone and just jack the car up by the rear and never have to worry about the bumpstop.

Don't let clearance issues scare you it really isn't bad. I'm real picky about my car and if it were a big deal then I would have never done it. The fender rolling was the hardest part for me. But I have the eastwood roller and it didn't hurt anything at all. Just remember to use a heat gun on the paint before you roll the fender and you won't have a problem.
What was the problem with the corner of the bumpstop? What it a problem when the suspension traveled or when you jacked the the rear of the car up?
Old 04-24-2005, 01:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Old 04-24-2005, 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

wow, it looks like you need to trim the bumpstops almost to the bolt holes or am I looking at it wrong? The spots you need to hammer on the inner fenders doesn't look that bad at all. Thanks for the pic JasonWW
Old 04-24-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

These are just reference pics I use to show people what everything looks like. I don't remember who's car this is.
The amount you need to trim from the bumpstops varies from car to car and tire to tire. On my own car, I removed them completely.

Quick Reply: Getting 17x11 TT2's, have a few Q's....