Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Oil Psi with ported pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Oil Psi with ported pump

I dont know whats wrong with my TA. I had low, as low as 20, PSI before i replaced the oil pump. I bought the LS1 ported oil pump and its still kinda low. It didnt make a difference. I thought it was suppose to have increased by 10-15 PSI.

I have no clue of what else might be wrong with it. Anyone know what else i should do?

I'm going to change the oil to 10w30 and a new oil filter other than Fram.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ta981
I dont know whats wrong with my TA. I had low, as low as 20, PSI before i replaced the oil pump. I bought the LS1 ported oil pump and its still kinda low. It didnt make a difference. I thought it was suppose to have increased by 10-15 PSI.

I have no clue of what else might be wrong with it. Anyone know what else i should do?

I'm going to change the oil to 10w30 and a new oil filter other than Fram.
It ALWAYS help to explain why you changed your pump and what the symtoms were before you changed the pump, things like mileage and pevious condition of the car will help tremendiously.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

I was driving my TA one night and had gunned it. I was fine til i was trying to shift it to third when the clutch got stuck on me cause there wasnt enough fluid. Sure enough, the car redlined and i was worried. Im not sure if that was what might have caused the pressure to drop. I might have messed something up, i dont know. But last summer the needle would bounce in idle.
A few days later when it was about 10 degrees out. I noticed that the pressure droped to 20 PSI and didnt like that. The car felt like it wanted to turn off but didnt. As the weather gradually improved, i jst kept my eye on that needle and seemed ok.
After i would drive the car for about an hour on a 60-70 degree day i would notice it would drop a few PSI., from 40-45 psi to 30 psi.
I drive the car at least 100 miles a week. i Change the oil regularly. during the time when the PSI was low i was running it on full synthetic Mobile1 10w30. i Then recently made an oil change about 600 miles ago, 6 weeks, and been running it on 5w30. I did see some improvement, PSI up to 50. Even after the oil change it started to drop. The TA now has an LS1 Ported Oil pump. I just got it back from the dealer today. with no real improvement.

Originally Posted by ss rally red
It ALWAYS help to explain why you changed your pump and what the symtoms were before you changed the pump, things like mileage and pevious condition of the car will help tremendiously.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like something was wrong before you changed the oil pump. The oil pump probably wasn't the problem, sounds like it could be a spun bearing... do you hear any odd sounds... have you felt a noticeable drop in power?
Old 04-25-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Bombguy99z28
Sounds like something was wrong before you changed the oil pump. The oil pump probably wasn't the problem, sounds like it could be a spun bearing... do you hear any odd sounds... have you felt a noticeable drop in power?
Could be, it might be a lower engine problem,bearing etc. but from what you describe it DOES'NT sound like an oil pump problem.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss rally red
Could be, it might be a lower engine problem,bearing etc. but from what you describe it DOES'NT sound like an oil pump problem.
I dont hear any weird sounds coming from the car. It doesnt seem that the TA lost some horse power. After i the pump was installed, i felt like the car was shifting better. But then again i hadn't driven it for a week till yesterday. The car doesnt shake as much on idle now then when it had the other pump.
Could it be some switch or something? thats what a few other been telling me.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Teching In

I put in a ported/polished/blueprinted oil pump when I did my h/c swap. I lost 5 to 10 psi across the board. You need to have it shimmed if you want more pressure.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

I would have said a bearing but if you don't hear anything I'm not so sure now. Do you notice anything else other than a difference in oil pressure?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HAMRHEAD
I would have said a bearing but if you don't hear anything I'm not so sure now. Do you notice anything else other than a difference in oil pressure?
All i really notice is that when the temp goes up to 210 degress the oil drops to 20 PSI. It doesnt shake as much. What kind of noise should i listen for?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JeffJeff
I put in a ported/polished/blueprinted oil pump when I did my h/c swap. I lost 5 to 10 psi across the board. You need to have it shimmed if you want more pressure.
How would i go about getting it shimmed?
Old 04-26-2005, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone else with any other thoughts?

The PSI is normal when i start the car and as the oil hot it starts to drop. I just seen it drop as low as 20PSI at idle. at 210 degrees.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:00 PM
9 Second Club

might be running out of oil, my car does the same thing, crank at 80psi and falls to 50ish just driving arround but after i pumch it or take it up to a higher rpm it comes down to 20
Old 04-26-2005, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RedHatRdRacer
might be running out of oil, my car does the same thing, crank at 80psi and falls to 50ish just driving arround but after i pumch it or take it up to a higher rpm it comes down to 20
How can it possibly be running out of oil? i dont see how its possible when i know it doenst have any leaks. What other way can it be running out other than a obvious leak?