Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever heard of this for lifter cure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone ever heard of this for lifter cure?

Well i have been looking into possible solutions for collapsed or turned lifters since i think my car has one and my dad told me he heard of some stuff called Marvel Mystery Oil and BG Products. I tried some STP stuff and that just made it louder and i think worse.

Has anyone dealt with this stuff or is it a waste of money, if so, could you let me know what the outcome was? Also, can a collapsed or tuned lifter even be cured? Thanks.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:31 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MMO is an awesome product, I've used it on bicylces, motorcycles, small engine, and a few personal cars since late 70's. Absolutely works like it should, but I have no idea about using it for twisted lifters, or collapsed lifters. I have used it for freeing up locked up pistons in cylinders, not that the engine was usable, but the **** it good. Also good for a capful or so in bikes gas tank before storage, and in a cars tank (a small cans worth) to keep the lubricity in the fuel lines jets, carb etc.

Charlie
Old 05-05-2005, 03:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used it a long time ago to free up gummed up rings in a Buick nailhead, it worked great. Also good as a fuel additive to keep valves and intake clean. If your lifters are dirty it may help, but that is probably not your problem.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

would you guys put this in your LS1 to try and rejuvenate the lifters?
Old 05-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Launching!

No...
Old 05-05-2005, 12:22 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jdoyle
would you guys put this in your LS1 to try and rejuvenate the lifters?
No... I wouldn't use STP either. If a lifter is making noise you are trying to fix an issue by making the oil thicker. You'd be just as well served adding 75w90 gear lube to the oil.

Think about this, you are thickening up your oil which means the rest of the motor is getting less oil, and the pump is having to work harder...
Old 05-05-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Actually MMO will thin out the oil...the stuff is pretty low viscosity (think kerosene)
Old 05-05-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard of this before, but never had to do it.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Yes this is good stuff for what it was intended for . . . good for coating parts that tend to rust, like when a motor is going to sit for a long time without being run, you can dump some down the intake just before you shut it down. Also a good air tool oil. Been around forever.

If you think you have a turned lifter, better tear down the engine ASAP before it takes out more than the lifter. It happened to me . . . and I designed a part to prevent it from happening again. Let me know if this turns out to be it, I can help.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

I tried "sea foam" when I thought my lifters was going out but unfortunatly it was a rod bearing lol
Old 05-05-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya a friends dad that has been building motors forever found a crack in one of my valve springs, man i hope a new spring is the fix.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

ya a friends dad that has been building motors forever found a crack in one of my valve springs, man i hope a new spring is the fix.
a new spring is nice, but i hope you didnt bend the valve. i would try and verify this before driving it again. do a leakdown and compression test, this should let you get some idea of wahts going on inside there without pulling the heads. oh yeah, marvel mystery oil, i see it in the sstore and always though it was a joke. haha. maybe good for loosening bolts or whatever, but nothing goes in my ls1 except mobil 1. a lot of these additive are not good for you motor.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for future referance I'd like to say that using additives is not the way to fix problem 9 times out of 10 they cause more damage than they fix. I've seen plenty of cars come in the shop with rods knocking, lifters collapsed, and other problems and the owner has been adding stuff to the oil for then last couple thousand miles trying to fix the problem and ended up with the original problem plus new ones like stopped up oil pump pick up tube, thrown rods, damaged pistons, and losing a cam lobe with the lifter.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Well i have been looking into possible solutions for collapsed or turned lifters since i think my car has one and my dad told me he heard of some stuff called Marvel Mystery Oil and BG Products. I tried some STP stuff and that just made it louder and i think worse.

Has anyone dealt with this stuff or is it a waste of money, if so, could you let me know what the outcome was? Also, can a collapsed or tuned lifter even be cured? Thanks.

MMO works great as an engine flush...but so does ATF/Dextron III, we do so many oil changes a year( my shop does 18K a year,yes 18k ) so many people come in with 15k-18K on their last oil change you would not believe it They come in with the oil light on/the lifters ticking(even cars with 15K on the original oil ) we in these cases recomend a flush to clean out the varnish but complete the service with pure oil, the way the manufacturer intended.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AsianIce25
a new spring is nice, but i hope you didnt bend the valve. i would try and verify this before driving it again. do a leakdown and compression test, this should let you get some idea of wahts going on inside there without pulling the heads. oh yeah, marvel mystery oil, i see it in the sstore and always though it was a joke. haha. maybe good for loosening bolts or whatever, but nothing goes in my ls1 except mobil 1. a lot of these additive are not good for you motor.
since i will be changing the springs myself and my friend has the tool that holds up the valves with the air compressor, will i be able to tell if i have a bent valve if i have alot of blowby, plz let me know. thank you.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

I've used it for years I put it (about a pint) in the crankcase about 2-3 days prior to my oil change it'll clean every thing out really good and helps flush out contaminants. I've had motors that I did that for years in combo with synthetic (Valvoline) oil and when I pulled heads to do some work ie. upgrade for speed there would be little or no ridge don't know if that was the reason but I'm gonnakeep useing it.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever heard of this for lifter cure?