Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Air compressor deal...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air compressor deal...

I've been longing for an air compressor for a while, but have been looking for an oil lubricated one as per everyone's recommendations, but there's a pretty good deal in the latest Craftsman Club flyer of a 30 gallon, 6HP, 150 psi, oil-free model for $260.00.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/searc...=searchresults

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations with this particular model? Is it on close out for a reason?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OBXMarine
I've been longing for an air compressor for a while, but have been looking for an oil lubricated one as per everyone's recommendations, but there's a pretty good deal in the latest Craftsman Club flyer of a 30 gallon, 6HP, 150 psi, oil-free model for $260.00.

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations with this particular model? Is it on close out for a reason?

Thanks!

new to the forum but have been reading through it for a while now
I think I looked at that same one when i was looking for a compressor, I was planning on buying it but i opted for the 2 stage instead. Well worth the money and even if you dont use it that much you'll still be glad you spent the extra on the 2 stage, if you look at the compressor on the sears floor and read their little star rating on the top of it, theres a lot of stuff it wont do.

check this one out
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00916778000

I've had it for about 7 months now and it works perfectly and will run pretty much anything you can think of using in your garage with out having to wait for the tank to fill up. Good luck in your shopping, and if your like me and go all out on stuff, look into IR air tools, expensive but almost invincible

--Dan
Old 06-02-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeh, I own that one. Mine is painted black. It is noisey as hell!

It works OK, however. If I were you, I would pay more and get an oil compressor unit unless you are now completely deaf and cannot hear super noisy running machinery....these things are known to cause small earthquakes.... so if you live in Commiefornia ...aviod these like STDs.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have that one. noisy as hell is right, but then again so are all oil less electric air pumps. works great. i love it. highly reccomend it.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh make sure you get the water removal and tool oiler they sell too. total for both is like $40 or less. Tool oiler is great because it helps the longevity of the tools while using them, and water remover speaks for itself i hope. naturally, put the moister/water remover first, followed by the oiling unit. oiling unit is small, bout as thick as the quick disconnect and about just as long. gotta refill it about once a day (if youre using it all day long). Not sure why that is, id rather have one where i could put a **** load of oil then not worry bout it, but it is what it is.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

I've got the bigger version of that thang, the counter weight had a defect and broke taking the compressor with it. It was noisey and I don't think lived up to what I paid for it. It was 3.5 years old and I didn't use it too much. If you get I hope you have better luck than me.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Yep, I was looking at this two stage also. I think the wife is gonna go in halfies with me and split the cost for father's day. Just hope I can justify it. So many other things I could get for $440. BUt then again, you gotta have the tools if you want to do the work yourself. So what decision did you finally make?

Jim K.
Originally Posted by dan96max
new to the forum but have been reading through it for a while now
I think I looked at that same one when i was looking for a compressor, I was planning on buying it but i opted for the 2 stage instead. Well worth the money and even if you dont use it that much you'll still be glad you spent the extra on the 2 stage, if you look at the compressor on the sears floor and read their little star rating on the top of it, theres a lot of stuff it wont do.

check this one out
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00916778000

I've had it for about 7 months now and it works perfectly and will run pretty much anything you can think of using in your garage with out having to wait for the tank to fill up. Good luck in your shopping, and if your like me and go all out on stuff, look into IR air tools, expensive but almost invincible

--Dan
Old 06-08-2005, 10:42 AM
ETS
Teching In

I had the 60 gallon version of that compressor and wore it out in about 2 years. I used it every night though and it didn't have enough to run a 8" da but would keep up with a 6". It runs the entire time and boy is it noisy. Rattles your ears. If you keep your eyes open on ebay you can pick up some pretty good deals on real compressors that aren't throw away. I paid 300 for a 80gallon kellog american that the owner paid 1800 for. He tipped it over and broke a leg on the cast iron pump. I took it apart and brazed it and put new rings in it for the heck of it and It's quite and never runs out of air. I see similar deals on there all the time for nice older quincy or ingersoll units that can be rebuilt easily.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had the Craftsman Club dates wrong. I missed it by a week.

No worries though, all the reason to wait for a oilled model. I appreciate the info. It sucks being on a budget where you want to compromise on the quality of tools. Someday though...
Old 03-17-2006, 04:03 AM
Teching In

Default You've found a good deal

Thanks!
If that unit is still available jump on it. the only reason it is being discontinued is for the newer models. Seems they learned how to increase the cfm volume using smaller motors. used to be you needed about a 6 hp motor to create a sustainable level of over 6.5 cfm @ 90 psi. Now they're getting that with 2 hp units. Still takes a sizeable tank of 30 gal or more but if you want an air compressor that can stand up to just about any job you throw at it, you want no less than 6.5 cfm @ 90 psi. Orbital sanders and bigger ratchets (1/2" or more) suck up air quick.

If you want or need oil lubrication for your tools, then just put an inline filter and oiler on it. Pretty simple DIY project. Always look at the cfm output of the unit and compare that to cfm minimum requirements of your tools.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Junkie

I have that unit as well. Like it was noted above, that sucker is LOUD. If I have to be in the garage when I'm filling it, I wear earplugs. It works great, though, and I've gotten more use out of it than I ever thought I would.

-Mike
Old 03-17-2006, 06:25 PM

A friend of mine has it and it works great. He has had it for a few years now with no complaints. That is the one I was planning to buy. May look for an oil version now.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks!
I have the same one but the horizontal. Definitely has its noise but can't complain since that's all we could afford at the time. Gets the job done . I don't run tools all the time nor do I have a big shop or anything so it works perfect for what i need it for.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe the new models will be less noisy. I would buy only the 2 stage version if it were me.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

Get a real compressor and get a cast iron Speedaire! I see ones on ebay sell for cheap! I have a 80 gallon 5 H.P and it's a real nice heavy duty compressor.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:53 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had that exact one for about 3.5-4 years now and it works fine. It's noisy as hell, runs a while using anything that requires a good amount of air, but it keeps up for the most part. For the $$$$ it's worth it, but if I had to replace it, I would spend the extra money for a oil lubricated 60 gallon. The extra volume means it runs less, and the oil lubrication means it's quieter. Plus I'd stick it in the corner of the basement on a rubber pad to get it out of the garage.

But, I'm stuck with what I have till it dies since I don't have a justification for spending the extra money on something that isn't broke.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

This is probably the bad boy I'm going to get:

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp...productID=9181

But getting it home and tucked away will be fun. It's the size of a fridge.

I do have a fridge dolly, probably be able to throw that beast around with little issue. Drag it home on my trailer, roll it down off the trailer using ramps, and then in to the shop. I'll eventually make a concrete pad outside my shop (in my shed area) to stick it in.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Same one I have, loud, and shitty, I run a cut off tool and a die grinder on it, it runs constantly. I also even have 200 feet of hose for more volume, get the 2 stage

Quick Reply: Air compressor deal...