Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Biodiesel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biodiesel?

A friend of mine was telling me that on Trucks they got a kit for making Biodiesel and was explaining it to me. If you can do this why doesn't everyone make their own diesel? If it's so much cheaper? Did anyone see the show or know what kit he used?
Old 06-13-2005, 08:28 PM
Launching!

It's only cheaper if you have access to a free/cheap feed stock (vegetable oil, used vegetable oil, etc.). You have to have very clean base oil and control the reaction very presicely to obtain quality biodiesel.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:09 PM
Launching!

that kit he has was over 3k. you should be able to get vegetable oil from any fast food resturant since they have to pay to get rid of it.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

They had that on Motor Week, seems cool, any thing to help ease the dependance off oil from the middle east helps.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

There is a store down here in MS that sells it. It cost 1.8x but at the end of the month, they send you back a check for a dollar for every gallon you bought that month. I know a few people using it. It is much cleaner, and who wouldn't like a check at the end of every month? I think I'm going to get a diesel!
Old 06-14-2005, 11:15 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by Bizzzatch350
They had that on Motor Week, seems cool, any thing to help ease the dependance off oil from the middle east helps.
I was just watching that, it was on again on Speed bout an hour ago.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Junkie

They have a vehicle setup for BioDiesel @ NC State University, its pretty cool to see all the diff things they can use for fuel.

Do a search on google and you'll find more info on biodiesel, and even building your own. Its a little complicated, but a lot less than you'd think.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:51 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw that episode It was on Sat June 11. http://www.truckstv.com/show_details.aspx?iid=4996

http://www.freedomfuelamerica.com/
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html
http://www.biodieselwarehouse.com/
http://www.freedomsolutionsnw.org/biodiesel.htm
http://www.biodieselamerica.org/
http://www.biodieselgear.com/
Old 06-15-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

yep, that episode made me want to buy a diesel. Even my wife rushed to the computer to check out the freedom fuels site! I've been reading up on every biodiesel article for like 5 years!
Old 04-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Launching!

FWIW I will be kicking off the start of my long awaited business, and putting the finishing touches on the website this fall. My buiness will be dealing in home biodiesel processors for the homebrew people out there. Only my system is designed to be WAY more economical and practical than the "fuel meister". And another word of caution, the fuel meisters arent the safest thing out there. Their processor has a heating element in the same container that mixes the methonal into everything.........bad news!!!!! not something you would want to be part of. Plus you have to been careful with the heating element to keep it from melting the plastic containers resulting in 50 or so gallons of hot oil going everywhere. So come this fall, start looking around for a company called Brazos Valley Biodiesel. Also sorry for stepping on any of the moderators toes since I am not a sponsor of the site, come this fall when everything falls into place I do plan on being a sponsor of this site.

Regards,
Remington
Old 04-22-2006, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

I just have a question. Why would you want to use it. Just b/c its cheaper is one point but what about what will happen to your vehicle.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

it actually burns more efficiently, (better mpg and hp) as well as lower emmissions.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:37 PM
7 Second Club

I have a full tank of B20 in my Dodge right now.I doubt I'll ever do any "home brewing" myself but when I'm close to a bio station I tank up.I hope more stations start selling it around here.

My exhaust doesn't stink like it normally does on #2.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All the buses running around my schools campus run on biodiesel. Pretty cool
Old 04-22-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Roofer Dave
I have a full tank of B20 in my Dodge right now.I doubt I'll ever do any "home brewing" myself but when I'm close to a bio station I tank up.I hope more stations start selling it around here.

My exhaust doesn't stink like it normally does on #2.
i heard tht **** smells like french fries
Old 04-22-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
i heard tht **** smells like french fries

much better than that **** smelling like....well...****
Old 04-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

If that grease that you eat clogs up your arteries(ms) what do you think it will do to you fuel lines and filter. Both are the same if you compare them together.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by B_Thompson
If that grease that you eat clogs up your arteries(ms) what do you think it will do to you fuel lines and filter. Both are the same if you compare them together.
you do realize you don't just pump it from the restaurant into your truck right?
If you have questions, use google like the other 6 billion people on earth.
Or visit any of the biodiesel boards/pages, or one of the vendors for biodiesel
Old 04-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by B_Thompson
yeah... you're an idiot. please dont post when you dont have a clue. and you have made it very obvious that you do not. I mean all that in the nicest way possible.

as others have said biodiesel is cheap because you get used oil cheap. if you make it from new oil, it is more expensive, but companies are increasing supply so the cost is coming down.

biodiesel does burn cleaner and hotter and as such it make more power than regular diesel. it also produces cleaner emissions.

yes it smells like whatever was cooked last in the oil.

biodiesel can be caustic, so if you have old rubber seals/hoses, it can eat through them. this will also pick up all the little particles and remove them from tank/lines. this can clog filters. after you replace these filters/hoses, you will have one very clean fuel system.

making biodiesel is so easy i could do it in my dorm tonight if i got bored. but i dont have a diesel, so i wont.

any of those links above would be great for further research.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

I'm an idiot but my family has a farm and uses diesel everyday and it has messed up several of their equipement including a 05 F350 but screwing up the fuel system. And yes I know that it might now happen to anybody but I'm sure as hell now a damn idiot. Just b/c you read something your going to believe it until you use it for a while and something happens.