Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI Live guys inside please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI Live guys inside please!

I just receive my copy of EFI LIVE. After doing some reading (okay, the first 85 pages on the Scan tool) I'm trying to get going... Lets just say I don't have have many positive things to say right now!!!

Since there appears to be nothing but electronic tech support (WTF???), would any of you mind sending me your phone # so I can contact you with basic questions? If you don't mind lending a hand, please send me a PM with your contact info.

Thank you SO much!!!

Last edited by Wet 1; 07-16-2005 at 06:46 AM.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

They have fantastic support on their forum...here's a link ->Fantastic Support .

After you've used their Scanner I suspect you'll find the documentation very straight forward.

Good Luck.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:29 AM
TECH Junkie

what exactly are you trying to do?
Old 07-16-2005, 06:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bink
They have fantastic support on their forum...here's a link ->Fantastic Support .

After you've used their Scanner I suspect you'll find the documentation very straight forward.

Good Luck.
I realize they have a forum, and it looks nice, but it sure would be great to be able to talk to someone. It can take hours or even days going back and forth trying to get answers on a forum... Hell, I'd even be happy to talk with some foreign guy over seas like Dell offers!

I'm sure the scanner is wonderful (that's one reason I went with Live), but it doesn't do me one bit of good if I can't scan anything! The documentation is pretty detailed, but what it is not is beginner friendly. No where does it walk you through step by step on how to begin... it just has fragmented bits of info that I'm sure make a lot of sense if you already know how to use it.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
what exactly are you trying to do?
I can't get it to read anything other than basic vehicle info.

At this point I'm ready to smash my laptop and this scanner!!! Anyone in CT and want to make a few $$$???

BTW, you're up early!
Old 07-16-2005, 07:40 AM
TECH Junkie

if it's any cosolation, I had never run a scanner before buying EFILive. I was albe to get it going pretty quick. Patience is the key.

Have you:

Turned on the laptop?

Installed the EFILive software?

Entered your license key into EFILive?

Selected the PID's you want to scan/log?

Connected your cable to the OBD2 Port on the car?

Connected the cable to the laptop?

Put the car in the run posistion and/or started the car?

Pressed the green connect button on the top left of the EFILive program?

Pressed the yellow monitor or red record button at the bottom center of the EFILive program?

Completed all these steps and still not able to read any data?

I assume you got the first few of these questions done, but I gotta start with the obvious first.

FWIW, I slept in today
Old 07-16-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can understand what you mean by having a live person to talk to.

EFI does not offer it.
HPT does not offer it
Carputing (LSx edit) does not offer it.

I like having the ability to talk to somebody if i need help, or just general tuning questions with a quick responce.

Ryan
Old 07-16-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm new to EFILive also. I'm slowly getting it. I had to e mail them just to get started. Now I am trying to figure out how to use the VE table, how to set it right, so far I have no clue. I have also read all the forums but it looks like everybody is advanced at this.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WS6 RULES
I'm new to EFILive also. I'm slowly getting it. I had to e mail them just to get started. Now I am trying to figure out how to use the VE table, how to set it right, so far I have no clue. I have also read all the forums but it looks like everybody is advanced at this.

We are all just a bunch of guys trying to reverse engineer the work of the GM engineers.

VE Table tuning - https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/267118-sd-tuning-98-00-fbod-w-ltft-s-using-efilive-flashscan.html

Also, in the next week or so, I'll be posting up a start to finish "how to auto tune with EFILive/Flashscan"
Old 07-16-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

TAQuickness,
Thank you very much for your help... I'll have some time to try a second time within the next couple of hours (busy day). I got the first few, but I'll try your list step by step... I'll keep you posted.

slow,
What can't you understand about wishing there was live tech support for this product??? IMHO it would be nice to be able to have someone talk me through the basics steps. Using a forum is great for discussion, but it takes forever to get questions answered. I went to their forum, EVERYTHING is for advanced users. I guess I'm a little "slow" myself (although I've never had any problems using software with detailed instructions). I don't care what companies offer what... IMO there should be a tech line!!!

WS6 RULES,
I hear you, given the supplied instructions it sure isn't clear how to use this software... it all seems to be geared for someone who already knows how to use it. I'm sure it will be clear once the pieces fall into place.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Sent you a PM
Old 07-16-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Wet - I think you misread Slow's response.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

no, i was agreeing it would be nice if somebody did offer live tech support. When you have a car on the dyno there is nothing more frusturating than not being able to get something to work right, and an immediate answer can save you hundreds of dollars, or hours of time trial and error.

I was just stating that NONE of the major GM companies offer this type of service.

The other tuning tools I use, not for GM, has live support.

Ryan
Old 07-16-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Wet - I think you misread Slow's response.
You're right, I did (sorry slow!).

Well I just slipped out to the garage for round two... First attempt today was another failure. I shut everything down (still open from last night) and tried again. This time I was successful! I guess I should've rebooted everything after last nights failure. I do still think some tech support and clearer instructions would be very beneficial for beginners.

I was able to create a quick log, so it looks like I'm making progress. Damn this thing is cool once you get going!

BTW, I'm going to be hooking up a LC-1 WBO2, can I use the PID file for the LM-1 or do I have to create an new PID for the LC-1 since I don't see one pre-installed?

Thank you so much guys for your help... MANY more questions coming!!!
Old 07-16-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

You really need to go to lives forums. http://www.efilive.com/forum/

Here is a link that may help you as well.

http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1736
Old 07-16-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Wet - pm me your email address. I too will be installing an LC-1 in the next week. I have all ready created my PID. Will be easiest for me to email you the file.

To answer your question though, no, you can't use the LM-1 PID.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Wet1 if you purchased the software thru me you have 100% customer support thru me. Email me for my phone number. Same goes for any other person that buys a workshop license. I fly to them and train them for 2 days in person and am available via phone and online to answer Every problem or question.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:00 AM
10 Second Club

When you buy a hammer it doesnt come with a detailed help file on how to build a house - hell you are lucky even to get instructions on how to hold the hammer properly.

Try enrolling in a course like EFIuniversity and getting some experience.

I am sure a tech line could be setup charged by the minute if required - maybe a new line of business for someone.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wait4me
Wet1 if you purchased the software thru me you have 100% customer support thru me. Email me for my phone number. Same goes for any other person that buys a workshop license. I fly to them and train them for 2 days in person and am available via phone and online to answer Every problem or question.
Hi Jes,
Yes, I purchased the software through you. I sent you a PM on 7/8 and 7/15 asking help questions and requesting a contact number (you opened the PM's a couple hours after I sent them), but I never heard back from you... this is why I'm asking the questions here. If you'd like to give me your contact #, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the future... but once I got the software running I found the basics to be very straight forward.

Today I'm going to work on hooking up the LC-1... I'm hoping I have no problems interfacing it with EFILive, but you know how that goes!

BTW, Thank you TAQuickness for sending me the PID file!
Old 07-17-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tomcat
When you buy a hammer it doesnt come with a detailed help file on how to build a house - hell you are lucky even to get instructions on how to hold the hammer properly.

Try enrolling in a course like EFIuniversity and getting some experience.

I am sure a tech line could be setup charged by the minute if required - maybe a new line of business for someone.
No the hammer doesn't come with a help file, but just about every piece of software does as well as a tech line with the better ones.

BTW, I'd love to take a class if it were reasonable, but the class isn't offered around me for months...

Quick Reply: EFI Live guys inside please!