Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

built 4l60E & TC problem need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default built 4l60E & TC problem need advice

had well known trans shop rebuild my stock 4l60e all the best parts $3000 etc. worked great for about a month. driving to work one day it broke, took it back to same shop they fixed it. (nothing on the car has been modified since before it broke the first time)got it back from the trans shop the converter locks & unlocks for no apparant reason. it hits the rev limiter 1-2 & 2-3 shifts . have had it back to the trans shop 2 times said they went thru it, trans is fine? we have tuned the hell out of it doing everything we can to get the rev limiter thing stoped. no change. the conclusion... bad trans. the guy who owns the trans shop seems like he wants to help but dosen't believe it's the trans, it's tuning, the tuner & it's the same guy who has always tuned the car, very well know here, say's it's the trans.i am considering calling the shop owner & asking if he will put in another trans if the problem remains then it is tuning & i will pay for his services for the swap & go away.if the other trans works. it's his problem & he needs to fix it. what do you think?
Old 07-16-2005, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the feed back. i don't want to mention the trans shop name, that might cause them harm & i am not sure where the problem is yet. they are a sponser on one of the boards & only build performance trans. the first rebuild worked great. my camaro conv. makes 500 rwhp ran 6.90 1/8 with this same set-up prior to second rebuild.
the tuner uses ls1 edit at this point i'm ready to buy hp tuners for him! i don't know alot about tunning is hp better than ls1? no check engine light

Last edited by F-MAN-SS; 07-16-2005 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an issue with Rock On like this and I blamed Daves tranny...turned out to be tuning and I had to eat crow. ls1edit is notoriuos for screwing up the transrevs/mile setting. If that is off, it will hit the rev limiter. I finally got that right and mine shifts fine 2-3 without ever hitting the limiter though it had not for the first 20 passes. Do they have a "manual shift box"? Dunno exactly what it is but you use it to shift by pressing a button or something....if it shifts right then, you KNOW its tuning as it bypasses pcm shifting. it is for testing purposes..not full time use.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:27 PM
Banned

Default listen up

Had the break out box on this unit...had the unit on the dyno. pressures are as fallows ...Idle 90 psi @ 14psi vac. at wot 235 psi @ 0 vac. shift differantial on the 1-2 shift 30psi with a shift time of .02 sec. 2-3 shift, differantial was 50 psi with a recovery time of .02 sec.
Times are text book bty. 3-4 clutch has no signs of slipping....band is flawless. Found a tear in the valve body gasket area under the manual valve in a dead circuit. Run the car on the street with breakout box, perfect shifts never hitting the liminter. As far as buying another transmission lets do this ...bring your car up...I'll set up a manual valve body for this test, we'll take the tunning out of the picture and we'll see what happens....seems simple to me ...and willing to do it..oh lets set it up so you can take it to sanger to test it under wot...I don't like wot on the street...Just my 2 cents ...Frank anytime one of my units doesn't shift it's my problem. I've never had one that wouldn't shift and you'll not be the first. Hope this helps Dave
Old 07-16-2005, 01:10 PM
9 Second Club

i dunno about autotap but with hptuners, you can see if the tranny is being commanded to shift by the PCM......if it shifts by the
"breakout box" I would think it is pcm related. Can you email me your ls1edit file? I would be glad to take a look at it. cablebandit@charter.net Stick with Dave....his customer service is the best and you will get it figured out working with him. If the pcm isnt asking for a shift, well then you need a better tune. If it asks for it and it doesnt shift....Dave will get it right but I'd bet money it is a pcm issue if Dave had it on the tranny dyno.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Dave, what day can we go to sanger? thursday or friday next week works for me if that fits your schedule post it here & i will call you. i appreciate the feed back from cablebandit i printed his posts & took them to the tuners & unfortantaly they use ls1 edit. Chris robertson who did the last tune it appears has retired from tuning. the shop where you took my TC has taken over & by their own addmission they are not that good yet at tuning. i spoke with the shop owner who put in the new motor & i plan on taking it to him next week to look at it. but he uses ls1 edit as well. as we all know these things are very frutrating. i guess i should invest in some tuning software lord knows i have spent enough on tuners to pay for it a couple of times over. can somebody who knows direct me to the best source for the HP tuners stuff?
i'll get the current tune & send it to cable bandit.
Thanks All
Old 07-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Banned

Default hey

Hey frank, not a problem...seems thur would be the best ...notsoo many folks , I already started on the trans...will start with another auto ..on mom . looking forward to getting this thing going...I wish I had invested in tunning gear ...I put all my money into machine shops .. we'll get it tho... hope this helps ..Dave
Old 07-16-2005, 01:32 PM
9 Second Club

hptuners.com...they used to let you trade in ls1edit for a nice upgrade...dunno if they do that anymore
Send me the file and I'll check it out. Definitely learn to tune yourself. It will save you a lot of headaches. I understand your frustration....I felt the same way until I got my tune right and then BANG...tranny was shifting like a ****!!! I dunno but I would guess you have 3.73+ gears.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

yes 373 12 bolt. i gave your email to the owner at the speed shop. he said he will send the file to you on monday. Thanks

Dave i'll give you a call on monday & set up time to come to your place, thanks again
Old 07-16-2005, 05:17 PM
9 Second Club

he just sent the file but my ls1edit wont open it...i tried a few more files and they open. I emailed your tuner to see if he has the file "locked". Awaiting his response.
3.73 is when mine really went nuts....thats why i guessed that. Hopefully it will be something simple!! What brand and size tires are you running?

Last edited by cablebandit; 07-16-2005 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

street tires nitto drag radials 305x35x18. track tires 28x9x15 MT slicks,

the speedshop guy probably went home after he sent the file it may be monday before he gets your reply

i really appreciate your help.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Banned

Default Hey

Originally Posted by F-MAN-SS
street tires nitto drag radials 305x35x18. track tires 28x9x15 MT slicks,

the speedshop guy probably went home after he sent the file it may be monday before he gets your reply

i really appreciate your help.
Where did you go???? I talked with jerry las night and really was expecting a call....he said you guys got it to shift 1-2, then 2-3 and falls out of three...?? looks like we may have a "tuning issue"??? Thats a whole lot differant than a tranny problem..give me a call, I really wanna know?? And useing two differant tire sizes ..don't you have to have a differant tune for each??? Just my 2 cents ..looking forward to getting you going...thanks frank...hope this helps ...Dave
Old 07-20-2005, 09:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Put a manual valve body on it and be done with it.
Dave knows how to build them. But it is better when you take the tuning out of the loop. By the way, if Chris R tuned it, it is locked.
Get HPtuners or have a shop with HPtuners help you out.
I purchased my own copy since I got burned by the locked tune issue.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:55 AM
9 Second Club

It was his vss sensor that mounts to the tranny. Sounds like he will be kickin *** and getting some new times soon!!!!

Last edited by cablebandit; 07-21-2005 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Banned

Default Hey

Thanks for all your help jerry.... ..... Hope this helps dave.

Last edited by Rock-On; 07-22-2005 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

dave, i called & left message thursday morning. the 1-2 is working 2-3 is still jacked. but i think this tells us it is the tune not the trans. i took the car to a second shop who knows how to tune on friday, yes chris R had tuned the car but he has stopped tuning & the shop that has his files is still learning! i told the guy's what i was doing & they said that was cool, drove across town waited 2 hrs. & the tune was locked! WTF! you would think at least they would tell you? anyway the second shop just purchased HP & i have an appt. to go back thursday & hopefully get the rest of this issue resolved. appreciate your patience & Jerry's advice. Frank
Old 07-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Banned

Default hey

Hey Frank, keep me in the loop... BTW this isn't our first run in; on the locked tune issue.... had it before.... we had to put a manual valve body in one car...the kid liked it so much he left it like that...Oh well Just a though...we're here if you need us.....Thanks Frank....hope this helps.... Dave
Old 07-25-2005, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

on the issue of the locked tune...no tune is locked really. get a hex editor or send it to jessebub. he's cheap and supposedly good.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Dave, i'm gonna assume manual valve body means you just shift thru the gears? the trans will not shift for you.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:28 AM
9 Second Club

correct! I dunno how someone could like the IF it were a daily driver but everybody is different.

Quick Reply: built 4l60E & TC problem need advice