Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is header wrap really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is header wrap really worth it?

I've got some painted black Hooker longtubes. (The tranny is in the shop and a compromise had to be made.) Is it worth putting header wrap on good,or is it a minimal help?
Question: Is the $75.00 price worth getting header jackets? Thanks.

Last edited by FIREHAWK#608; 07-22-2005 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

I saw on SPEED that said asbestos header wrap under the hood catches too much heat and crystallizes. I think i may have heard on here that header wrap may cause headers to rust quicker but i dont remember.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Banned

All the new wrap these days doesn't have asbestos. (law) They make jackets that fit loosely around the primaries... any opinions on that?
Old 07-22-2005, 02:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It will probably help with O2 codes. I'm suspicious of
the performance claims, but the O2s can use all the
heat they can get. Wrap may hold moisture and that
would accelerate rust (on non-stainless). Also need to
keep it away from the head end so you don't overcook
the primary tubes & welds. Personally I'd be thinking
glass wrap, and a couple layers of foil tape over that.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Banned

That sounds good. The illistrations of the jackets show them starting at the flange and going down the primary about 22". I'm still on the fence on this add-on. I've got coated headers with wrap on my LT1 car and I don't think the radiant heat is any less than bare manifolds with heat shields.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

you'll be fine using the wrap or jackets on your headers. you wont have any problems with your welds being ruined by the heat and moister. if you already have coating on your headers i would think its redundant to wrap them(both do the same thing).
Old 07-22-2005, 03:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1999 SS
you'll be fine using the wrap or jackets on your headers. you wont have any problems with your welds being ruined by the heat and moister. if you already have coating on your headers i would think its redundant to wrap them(both do the same thing).
I wrapped the LT1's because I had the jackets and it couldn't hurt... so...
Old 07-23-2005, 12:39 PM
Banned

Has anyone else used wrap or jackets?
Old 07-23-2005, 12:56 PM
Launching!

There is an inherent problem with wrapping non-coated headers that most people don't consider. The issue is akin to having a set that is only coated on the outside: a thermal barrier (such as ceramic coating or header wrap) being only on the outside will block heat radiating through the exterior metal surface (obviously), while the lack of an inner coating exposes the metal to the added "trapped" heat. The result, over time, is the literal disintegration of the mild steel tubing.

IMO, wrapping noncoated headers, even noncoated headers themselves, are just a temporary solution. Between the heat soak and other issues with them, it would really probably be worth it to just sell those off and wait until you can afford a coated set.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default wrap

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
All the new wrap these days doesn't have asbestos. (law) They make jackets that fit loosely around the primaries... any opinions on that?
I use just what you are talking about, but i never get it wet. Headers are stainless anyway. Mostly also if you get the wrap type, like ive used on bikes, if you get it wet, it will also get looser and looser untill it looks like ****, and dont work as good. Besides better flow it greatly reduces underhood temps, which is always good. If you use it id use a mask when installing it as some of it has vermiculite on the surface and it is a carcinogin with little exposure, the last 2 times i used it, it said it right on the box. The best ive used is Cool it. Its the thickest best quality. On my bike i noticed alot less radiant heat at stoplights. I do think the gains are minimal but there. It all ads up in the end.

Last edited by BOONE; 07-24-2005 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your headers probably won't last very long if you wrap them. Just get them ceramic coated.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Veteran

I used the Thermo-Tech? wrap on my headers in my '70 C-10. They were the black Hooker headers. The underhood temp. was decreased dramatically. The air under there felt just the same as the air outside the truck. However if you get oil in them, they will catch on fire. I had a tranny line come loose and soaked the pass. side header collector. Big fire. They also made the headers rust like crazy. I used the header jackets after that, but they didn't cut down on the heat as well.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:29 AM
Banned

Thanks for the tips! My tranny is at the shop now being rebuilt. I had to do headers at the same time, so money was on my mind. I ended up trading a Glock pistol for new painted Hookers. I guess I'll take them out later and send them to be Jet Hotted.

Quick Reply: Is header wrap really worth it?