Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duals under the axle guys...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Duals under the axle guys...

I am now considering under the axle as a possible option. The shop has offered to have a setup bolted to a set of QTP's, with two Borla XR-1's, and out the back under the axle.

In order to get the mufflers to fit, they said they would need to modify the floorboards. I really would like to avoid this:

1) Are there any mufflers as quiet as the Borla's that flow well and will fit under our cars without modification.

2) Those with under the axle, would you recommend this system and any suggestions that you can offer?

3) Any thing else before I take the plunge?
Old 08-04-2005, 02:31 AM
On The Tree

I would like to know if anyone tried doing that before, because I've never seen it. I would think that it might be to low and hit everything. Now, sdbrown84, as far as mufflers I would go with Sweet Thunders or 3" ID Powersticks !!!
Old 08-04-2005, 10:19 AM
10 Second Club

You can check mine out. http://community.webshots.com/album/402565645qYRbRc
I made them myself and then had an exhaust shop weld it together. I havn't bottomed out and no floor board modifications were needed. The only place it bumps a little is right after the drivers side header, I'm in the process of fixing that. I used Sweet thunder mufflers, its a little loud but sounds great.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

I had duals out under the axle with my old engine..........

1) I don't know how the Borlas are but I can tell you 2.5" dynomax bullets are LOUD!!!!!! I have chambered mufflers (the old round 1969 Camaro style) now and they are a much better sound...

2) I went over the axle when I redid my car because:
a) I always wanted them over the axle
b) I didn't like having to drop the rear half to work on the rearend

BUT......overall yes, if I had another car or were telling someone how to do it, I would say go under the axle because:
a) going over the axle takes A LOT OF WORK (unless you ditch the upper panhard rod and thats a bad idea I think)
b) dumps before the axle sound bad/look bad/and all around I just don't like

One thing I would do is have a flange on your pipes before they go under the rearend. I didn't and the first time I needed to work on something major, I had to drop the entire exhaust out (though if you build the system right, the rearend should just slightly touch the under axle pipes when hanging on the shocks.....at least mine did......).

3) don't do 3" if you are lowered ANY unless you like dragging over everything....there just isn't enough room under these cars to run 3" pipe effectively and still have ground clearance.....2.5" is plenty.....and do an X-pipe....

Old 08-04-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

If I were to have it done it would have to be the smaller mufflers. I don't want *banging* on the floor boards, whatever the exhaust guys say. I do however want the true duals for the sound, and future power potential.

But it doesn't seem like anyone can do it without welding something to my chasis or modifying the underside.

I think I may just buy the Bassani and have it modified to the headers...
Old 08-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Launching!

My main concern with under the axles is if you ever have to jack the rear half of the car up, you might not be able to because the exhaust will hit under the axles before the body can be raised enough. My buddy did this on his old buick and he couldn't change the rear tires-we found out one day when he got a flat. The body just wouldn't move up high enough to allow the tire to come off, and you may also scrape. The mufflers I used were thrush ones that were very small and actually very quiet. They were cheap as well-I think like 18 bucks. They may be to quiet for your tastes-not to sure. I also used thrush cherry bombs, they fit wonderfully underneath and were also cheap and will never fall apart. They are the same straight through design as the bullit mufflers but with more packing and are longer for less sound-although they are quit loud, but bareable for normal driving and NASCAR sounding at full throttle. Both types of mufflers fit in between the trunk-in those pockets on each side, which is a perfect place for mufflers. Heres a pic of the turbo muffler under the car next to the trunk. http://community.webshots.com/photo/...83968821SvtOhC
Old 08-04-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

I see what you mean by it being a complication. I don't want to have to deal with any of those problems you mentioned, especially the tire change scenerio.

Will over the axle solve that problem? I am seriously considering the Bassani True Duals. Expensive, but I don't want to sacrifice ANYTHING, including car modification and the ability to perform routine maintance on my car.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Launching!

SLP sells the over the axle prefabbed pipe, I haven't heard good or bad about it and I looked. I am thinking of this myself, I will be flying to get my car this Tue. CAN'T WAIT!

SLP Over-Axle Exhaust Pipe #10166
Old 08-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Launching!

when I had true duals I had them stop under the car, but had always wondered what it would have sounded like with them out the back, so one day I boyught some of that bendable exhaust pipe-2 sections of 6 ft and hooked them into the duals and up over the axles to see how it would sound. Actually I planned on keeping them, they were easy to put in and i figured by the time they rusted out they'd be a cheap replacement since they ere like 10 bucks each. Anyway after hooking them up I took them out and decided the little difference in noise wasn't worth the extra weight. With the right muffler duals that stop under the axle can be pretty quiet. i never had any vibration or any other [problem-I switched different mufflers until i was happy. My two complaints were--unburned gas smell, which I solved with cats, and low clearance because of the X pipe going over that torque arm, which I cured by taking out. My whole point is you might be satisfied with them stopping under the car. I even pput side type pipes on mine and this took away the drone when I had super freeflowing mufflers. You can see the sidepipes under that same webshots of mine. Is there any particular reason you want them to go all the way over?
Old 08-04-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sdbrown84
I see what you mean by it being a complication. I don't want to have to deal with any of those problems you mentioned, especially the tire change scenerio.

Will over the axle solve that problem? I am seriously considering the Bassani True Duals. Expensive, but I don't want to sacrifice ANYTHING, including car modification and the ability to perform routine maintance on my car.
That same exhaust shop did my True duals with XR-1's and did a little banging and guess what ? IT LOOKS LIKE FACTORY WORK. If you go under the axle, they give you the option of having it welded or use flanges and being able to easily remove them. Theres no complication at all if you have uncapped a cut-out b4 then you can uncap these extensions. Half of these people have never experienced the true duals from pro-dyno, so they dont know the quality work nor do they know if you will have problems or not. I for one do not, nor does my brother, or my friend joel etc. etc. etc. I can go on for hours if you like ? Just get it done, save some money, and have it sound great!
Old 08-04-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Super Sport Beast
I would like to know if anyone tried doing that before, because I've never seen it. I would think that it might be to low and hit everything. Now, sdbrown84, as far as mufflers I would go with Sweet Thunders or 3" ID Powersticks !!!
Let me put it this way, the exhaust(same shop hes considering) is so tucked up neatly, that theres no way in hell u can even tell i have an aftermarket exhaust. Hell, with my stock exhaust and y, you could see it at the sides, but this one is tucked nicely.

Let me put it this way, if you want to sound like a dump truck, by all means go with the powersticks. If you want wild rasp and loud as **** go with the sweet thunders. Now, if you want a nice deep, refined sound WITH ZERO INTERIOR DRONE then go with the xr-1's. I also have a sound clip of my exhaust(racing of course ) just pm me ur email address, and ill send it away and or if u use AIM.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
Let me put it this way, the exhaust(same shop hes considering) is so tucked up neatly, that theres no way in hell u can even tell i have an aftermarket exhaust. Hell, with my stock exhaust and y, you could see it at the sides, but this one is tucked nicely.

Let me put it this way, if you want to sound like a dump truck, by all means go with the powersticks. If you want wild rasp and loud as **** go with the sweet thunders. Now, if you want a nice deep, refined sound WITH ZERO INTERIOR DRONE then go with the xr-1's. I also have a sound clip of my exhaust(racing of course ) just pm me ur email address, and ill send it away and or if u use AIM.
My sweet thunders are NOT raspy at all. They are however extremely loud but my large cam doesn't help keep it quite either.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think if you run 2.5" pipe it will flow plenty and keep the sound down. I would go a custom length Sweet thunder to also help with the sound. Under the axle is fine, my exhaust is braced enough that the pipes will hold the rear-end up and not pull the exhaust down to change a tire.

or just do this

Old 08-08-2005, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...under+the+axle

Here is some pictures of the TD's that our local shop Pro Dyno does under the axle. It doesnt get much better than that guys!

Quick Reply: Duals under the axle guys...