Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Repair Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2 Repair Questions

1st. My water pump's leaking so I need a replacement. I found a Duralast pump for about $135 (are these good?). If not, where can I get one for a good price? Don Lee's wants to charge me $2xx for a replacement... which I'm not cool with...

2nd. My rear end seal is leaking (no pun intended - yes my car's not mine...) I'm sure this shouldn't be a challenge to find but where can I get a decent one and should it be very hard to install? Anything other than the seal that I'll need to get it in there and fixed?

One more small question: In addition to a clutch install, they want me to give em an extra $100 to put in a 5.0 Shifter... don't you have to take the shifter out to get to the clutch anyways??? (plz don't bash me if I'm wrong).

Thanks for any help!
Old 08-18-2005, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

The rear end seal is $10 or so from Autozone and its made by Timken. Its pretty straight forward install.

Yes, the shifter needs to come off for the clutch install.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:38 PM
Banned

An extra $100 to install a shifter? Dude, that's a freakin *** raping. Just do it yourself. Go to installuniversity.com or ls1howto.com and look for the step-by-step instructions. You can do it. It's a piece of cake.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Regular

Water pump is an easy install as well. Everything (water pump, rear end seal and shifter) could be done easily in an afternoon. As far as what pump to get I would stick with a stock replacement. Are you planning on doing this yourself?
Old 08-19-2005, 01:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 8-Pack
Water pump is an easy install as well. Everything (water pump, rear end seal and shifter) could be done easily in an afternoon. As far as what pump to get I would stick with a stock replacement. Are you planning on doing this yourself?

That's what I thought. I got a cool step-cousin in Vegas that enjoys working on cars and he says he'd be happy to help me get what ever i need done. I'm gonna hold off on doing anything for now (don't have or know where I can get the seal or water pump by tomorrow)... I take it GM makes the stock replacement? Anyone got a product #... I hear about these things going out often so... any slightly better ones out there? I'm gonna have Don Lee do my clutch/flywheel/master/slave still... I don't trust myself doing the bleeding or the drill mod for that fact (but could if I absolutely had to). Thanks for the input guys... I really appreciate it!
Old 08-19-2005, 01:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a waterpump from my 2002 with approx 2000 miles, will do 75 shipped. No thermostat.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Why'd you take it out in the first place? .. this might be a dumb question but if I change out my water pump, am I gonna need a new T-stat?
Old 08-19-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The thermo in your old pump will bolt right on to this one. I took it out to do a 160, then when i went with the meziere elec pump i sold the 160 to someone from it, other than that its like new, and perfect. There is no such thing as a dumb question.

Last edited by BOONE; 08-19-2005 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks... to everyone. You've been great about answering all my questions... now I just have 2 final ones:

1: To replace the rear pinion seal, will I need anything more than the seal and rear diff. fluid; (also how much eh... Royal Purple 85w140 will I need *in quarts*)

2: How many quarts of fluid does the M6 Gearbox take?

Thanks!!!
Old 08-21-2005, 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

unless you know what you're doin leave the pinion seal to professionals